Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2020, 01:19 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyfrank232 View Post
I wish more seniors would follow your lead
Maybe you can set the example should you ever become a senior.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2020, 04:08 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

I find it funny on how the question was asked on how the youth use a word, an answer was given (with agreement on the meaning),and it was followed by 6 pages of posts (by self identified older people) giving their opinions on how they think it should be defined and saying that other people’s opinions don’t matter.

I only find it so funny because the topic about being irrelevant was about old people ignoring changing times/well accepted facts and instead voicing their opinions on how it should be (or was believe to be correct with outdated information/customs). I found this tread self fulfilling.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
What is meant when people say an old person "becomes irrelevant"?
Old 01-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #63
gone traveling

What is meant when people say an old person "becomes irrelevant"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
I find it funny on how the question was asked on how the youth use a word, an answer was given (with agreement on the meaning),and it was followed by 6 pages of posts (by self identified older people) giving their opinions on how they think it should be defined and saying that other people’s opinions don’t matter.

I only find it so funny because the topic about being irrelevant was about old people ignoring changing times/well accepted facts and instead voicing their opinions on how it should be (or was believe to be correct with outdated information/customs). I found this tread self fulfilling.
+ 1 Bingo!

Seniors just can’t help themselves

They’re the architects of their own irrelevance
nancyfrank232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:19 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
My interpretation is that old people sometimes have no clue how things are different now and have strong opinions of beliefs on how things should be done based on their life experience that is not ‘relevant’ to today’s life.

An example is some old boomer talking about how sad it is that kids today don’t know/learn cursive and how that is one of the reasons why kids these days are having such a hard time in the economy.

This same boomer constantly asks for help doing basic things on the computer and probably has no idea about coding or writing macros (that probably replace the time spent learning cursive).

The newer generation faces new challenges and their learning and ways of doing things have adapted. If you can’t/won’t see that but insist on pushing antiquated ideas - you’re not very relevant to today’s society.

This usually isn’t used at people who are kind/understanding. More at people who try to push their dated opinions of complaints onto newer generations.
OK, I went back and looked for some of your previous comments. Yes, some older people do live in the past. But you can find many in all age groups that have odd notions.

I wish cursive were still being taught and frankly don't know how many schools don't teach it. Is it necessary, perhaps not. My cursive is getting worse as I use the computer a heck of a lot these days. I certainly don't think knowing cursive would solve kid's problems (if they have any) in today's economy.

I think I'm very computer literate so don't fit your "some boomers" model. You seem to be painting with a very broad brush. Generalizations can get us all in trouble and I've been know to get stuck on that one too.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:21 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+ 1 Bingo!

Seniors just can’t help themselves

They’re the architects of their own irrelevance
So *all* people over 65 are "architects of their own irrelevance"?
Old 01-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
So *all* people over 65 are "architects of their own irrelevance"?

I think I’ve found a new sig...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:23 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Of course we do! We're just people after all...

Dang, never realized Omar Sharif was in that.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:27 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I wish more seniors would follow your lead

Many believe they are wise but once they open their mouth you realize that they’re just old
+1 Get off my lawn!
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

like2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:29 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Suspect the poster was using "boomer" as a catch-all for "old people."

In the mid-90's, our agency got rid of a lot of "secretarial" positions because personal computers had been on nearly every desk since the late 80's. This caused a number of high-ranking men, born in the 1930's, to retire because, never having learned to "type," they were now irrelevant.

I'm sure there are people, born after 1946 and thus in the "boom" generation, who couldn't deal with the PCs either; but I haven't met any.

Quote:

I think I'm very computer literate so don't fit your "some boomers" model. You seem to be painting with a very broad brush. .
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I’m a late boomer and very computer literate. Hard not to be when you have an MS in computer engineering! DH is also an engineer, more mid boomer and even more up on the latest computer stuff.

Seems like broad brushes here. Yes, there are plenty of seniors with rigid attitudes, but I see that in other ages too - willful ignorance, blinders on, opinionated and unwilling to hear otherwise. Whatever.

My well-traveled, depression-era parents were never like that and handled computers quite well too in spite of no math/science background. Well Dad none at all, mom had a masters in statistics and exposure to those room sized computers way back when. They both started using personal computers back from the Apple IIe days. So back in the 80s.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Gen x just sitting back watching the world burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Okay boomers... [emoji12]
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:08 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps that is the essence of irrelevance...ceasing to care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffithee View Post
Old 01-16-2020, 09:03 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Yes, some older people do live in the past...
I don't think I live in the past, but I try not to forget it. I do cherish good memories, but also do not want to repeat my past mistakes.

"Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again." -- George Bernard Shaw

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:00 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I don't think I live in the past, but I try not to forget it. I do cherish good memories, but also do not want to repeat my past mistakes.

"Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again." -- George Bernard Shaw
Yes, and I suppose many of our past mistakes were just ours personally. Lessons that we sometimes had to learn the hard way. So sometimes I might tell DS something that I feel strongly about because I was so clueless in the past.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I consider "relater of cautionary tales" to be among the most important parental roles.

Quote:
Yes, and I suppose many of our past mistakes were just ours personally. Lessons that we sometimes had to learn the hard way. So sometimes I might tell DS something that I feel strongly about because I was so clueless in the past.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:55 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I consider "relater of cautionary tales" to be among the most important parental roles.
As a 'synthetic' grandfather, I attempt to instill a level of skepticism, (it might even border on cynicism in some cases), in my granddaughters.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:29 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it only means you are not contributing to the country to move it foreword financially through innovation or support. I like to call it not participating.
I decided to stop participating almost 20 years ago.
Arizona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:38 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I like this thought. My only comment would be: Few of any age do much to innovate or move the country forward financially, other than by paying taxes (or are you saying you are exempt from taxes? I know some FIRees are).

If it's paying taxes, the Amethysts are doing a bang-up job of relevancy, even though one of us is "boomer" and the other is "silent."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona1 View Post
I think it only means you are not contributing to the country to move it foreword financially through innovation or support. I like to call it not participating.
I decided to stop participating almost 20 years ago.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

"Every generation wants to find out for itself that the stove is hot and can burn you"

Tags
becoming irrelevant, old age, relevance