Join Early Retirement Today

What is meant when people say an old person "becomes irrelevant"?
Old 01-14-2020, 07:10 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In discussion fora and comments sections, I see references to old people becoming irrelevant. Young ones invoke it as a threat to the older generation, which they blame for society's ills. Old people mention "staying relevant" as a concern they have.

But what is "relevance," why is it the province of youth, and why should anyone concern themselves with it?

If it means "no longer able to influence the course of events," well, how many of us ever could, other than by our votes? Age does not disenfranchise us.

If it means "people don't care what you think any more," I submit that very few people ever did.

If it means "no longer working at a job," I am far freer to engage with the world than I was when seated at a desk behind closed doors and a giant parking lot.

It certainly can't mean "no longer a goods consumer." I have more money to spend than when I was young. When I was really young I didn't have any money to speak of.

If it means "no longer sexually attractive," then that means relevance evaporates once the eyes of men or women no longer follow us as we walk down the street.

If it means "age-related illnesses and disabilities," then that means anyone with a physical or mental disability is irrelevant.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I would find yours...relevant
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 07:24 AM   #2
Administrator

If you start out irrelevant, it's not hard to stay that way. At least, that has been my experience.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think it's very real, and inevitable. But not necessarily a bad thing. Well, no more than being mortal is a bad thing.

I am most certainly less relevant in my children's lives than I was when they were wholly dependent on me. Funny how they see this clearly as teenagers, but come back around to realize their parents still have SOME relevance as they grow out of that phase.

I am almost totally irrelevant to my former employer. When I get together with co-workers I occasionally hear that something I did or wrote is still being used. But it's their problem now.

I've been irrelevant to marketers for a long time now. They go after the young and impressionable. Those who care about style and fashion, those who are anxious to spend their money on whatever's new and exciting this week. Ironically, I wasn't like that even when I was in their target demographic. But you could argue I'm even less relevant to them now.

And, at some point, my physical abilities will deteriorate to the point where I'm not much help when someone needs to move their furniture, paint a house, or get an extra hand installing some hard-to-reach component in a tight engine room on a boat.

If I'm smart, I'll have planned for all these little irrelvancies (Is that a word?) and I'll be prepared for them. My kids will take over responsibility for their own lives, my employer will hire new employees who build on the foundation I left, and there's a sucker born every minute for the marketers to exploit.

As I see it, that's how life is supposed to work.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:37 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'm relevant in DW's eyes, as she is in mine. (Just about) everyone else? "Good luck in your new endeavors."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:51 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I felt irrelevant to my kids for a few years. Now I’m very relevant as a grandpa! [emoji847]
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:51 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I find relevance is very situation-dependent and always was. I used to be very relevant to business, especially as A CEO.

Now I have lots of experience but the business has been moving on for 17 years without me. Now even some of the terminology is new and foreign to me. One of the reasons I quit several Boards within 2 years of retiring was because of the ongoing relevance issue.

Same with mentoring my kids. Now I can help them with transition to retirement but it is too soon. They do take advice regarding investments.

When I walk though the mall or on the street, I am invisible and that suits me just fine.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
In discussion fora and comments sections, I see references to old people becoming irrelevant. Young ones invoke it as a threat to the older generation, which they blame for society's ills. Old people mention "staying relevant" as a concern they have.

But what is "relevance," why is it the province of youth, and why should anyone concern themselves with it?

.................................................. ...............................

Beautifully done...
Thanks for presenting this thoughtful subject.

Only in the past few years, has this been on my radar. 'Til about age 80, I guess "relevancy" was more of a sense of "responsibility".... as in a feeling of obligation be there for my family, and my community. To help where needed, give advice when asked for, and to do "what's right".

This meant being involved... as a leader, a follower, an advocate or when necessary, a member of the opposition.

Now, it's not a matter of not caring, but more of a "live and let live" position.
Time to get out of the way. Whether a matter of another day or a few more years, a double benefit:

1. To stay out of the lives of others.
2. To allow jeanie and myself to enjoy the happiest, most carefree years of our own lives.

... basically "relevancy"... no longer an issue.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Okay boomers... [emoji12]

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #9

As long as I am relevant to myself, I have relevance. That is reflected in my health care directive since it defines my relevance to myself.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:29 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Okay boomers... [emoji12]
+1, good one.

We all have our day in the sun, some sooner, some later - and that doesn't last forever no matter who you are. We all become less relevant when we pass our peak, and so will those who are peaking now - it's not bad, it's the normal course of life. I'm less relevant than I once was, but I wouldn't want to go back - I had my turn. Being "relevant" was more rewarding, but it was more stressful and demanding too. I don't miss the hamster wheel.

Hopefully by the time you become less relevant, you don't much care any more - been there, done that.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
More silver hair, fewer silver bodysuits
Old 01-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #11

More silver hair, fewer silver bodysuits

Those youngsters speak of what they know not.

I recall famed sci-fi author Isaac Asimov, as early as the 1960s (and maybe earlier), predicting that increasing lifespans and decreasing family size would inevitably lead to the elderly becoming more relevant, not less, as their proportion of the population expanded. It has happened in every country as it developed economically and achieved some threshold standard of living.

It's exactly the opposite of the future portrayed in such movies as "Logan's Run", where society is exclusively young people.

OTOH, Farrah Fawcett did look pretty awesome in that metallized miniskirt.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

LOL I don’t care about my relevance. I stopped caring about it when I decided to end my career and retire early.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Looking at the current crowd of potential presidential candidates, seems to prove that age and relevance are not necessarily tied together.

Quote:
On Election Day 2020, the ages of the various official and unofficial candidates will be:
Vermont senator Bernie Sanders: 79 years, 1 month, 26 days.
Former New York City mayor Mike Bloomberg: 78 years, 8 months, 20 days.
Former vice president Joe Biden: 77 years, 11 months, 14 days.
President Donald Trump: 74 years, 4 months, 20 days.
Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren: 71 years, 4 months, 12 days.

Other than the Buddha Judge, they are rather old to say the least.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:20 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

"Marginalized" is a word that comes to mind. It's happening at work in subtle ways; comments from younger co-workers. I don't take it personally. It's the circle of life. I no doubt spouted such comments in my younger working years. My peak has passed. I am happy to pass the torch and fade in to the woodwork.
dadu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:39 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Gen X: "Irrelevant?"
Boomer: "You rang?"
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Mean's they are looking for someone younger to replace you .
Old 01-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Mean's they are looking for someone younger to replace you .

+1, very true from a workplace perspective.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

My interpretation is that old people sometimes have no clue how things are different now and have strong opinions of beliefs on how things should be done based on their life experience that is not ‘relevant’ to today’s life.

An example is some old boomer talking about how sad it is that kids today don’t know/learn cursive and how that is one of the reasons why kids these days are having such a hard time in the economy.

This same boomer constantly asks for help doing basic things on the computer and probably has no idea about coding or writing macros (that probably replace the time spent learning cursive).

The newer generation faces new challenges and their learning and ways of doing things have adapted. If you can’t/won’t see that but insist on pushing antiquated ideas - you’re not very relevant to today’s society.

This usually isn’t used at people who are kind/understanding. More at people who try to push their dated opinions of complaints onto newer generations.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
My interpretation is that old people sometimes have no clue how things are different now and have strong opinions of beliefs on how things should be done based on their life experience that is not ‘relevant’ to today’s life.

An example is some old boomer talking about how sad it is that kids today don’t know/learn cursive and how that is one of the reasons why kids these days are having such a hard time in the economy.

This same boomer constantly asks for help doing basic things on the computer and probably has no idea about coding or writing macros.

The newer generation faces new challenges and their learning and ways of doing things have adapted. If you can’t/won’t see that but insist on pushing antiquated ideas - you’re not very relevant to today’s society.

This usually isn’t used at people who are kind/understanding. More at people who try to push their dated opinions of complaints onto newer generations.
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #20

My wife and I were just discussing this at coffee. I don’t mind fading into the sunset. I do mind That “boomer” has in some ways become a negative connotation. I was trying to go back and remember if I had some of those feelings about my parents generation. I never thought that they were ignorant.

The other thing we discussed is I’m just resistant to someone very young telling me what’s good for me all the time. This doesn’t include doctors visits. That a given. It’s how to live my daily life which has been respectful and a good steward but obviously not good enough.

I guess that the same thing happens with the change in every generation

Tags
becoming irrelevant, old age, relevance