Join Early Retirement Today

What is Megacorp?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What is Megacorp?

Is it any giant corporation or a specific one?
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

It is any large corporation. Often referred to as Mega Cr*p by the many escapes around here.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Is it any giant corporation or a specific one?
Yep, what fisherman said. I am one of the 'escapees'
Old 03-09-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think of megacorp as a huge, not very bright, predatory dinosaur. It eats people and resources and craps out a modicum of dividends to shareholders. Every so often one of these monsters kills another (merger) and consumes musch of the carcass, growing larger in the process.

My non-profit employer is more like a mattress: large, squishy, not good for much, but will support you (a bit) when you are ill.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

For some, Megacorp is synonymous with Devil's Island and we are the escapees
Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I think of megacorp as a huge, not very bright, predatory dinosaur. It eats people and resources and craps out a modicum of dividends to shareholders. Every so often one of these monsters kills another (merger) and consumes musch of the carcass, growing larger in the process.
Good description. I'll just add (based upon my experience) as the organization gets larger and more global in scope, the focus is changed from the employee to the stockholder being the "most important" part of the entire equation. Unfortunately, senior management forgets that it is the employee that ensures returns for the stockholder.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'd say just based on size and organization. Probably any Fortune 500 would be considered a MegaCorp, certainly the top 100.

As to whether they are good/bad/indifferent, that depends on your personal experience. For me, I'd say all of the above, at different times and situations, often at the same time. Probably no different than a driven individual. But it was certainly weighted towards the bad for me in the last few years on the job. But others would have said the opposite.

I've heard some real whopper stories from people at small companies, maniacal owner/boss, no HR to turn to (or 'HR' is the owner/bosses brother), etc. If you find a place that you seem to fit in well, I wouldn't worry about the size, just run with it!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #8

Is Megacorp bad?

Let me think....great salary, yearly bonus, stock options, pension, 401k match, early retirement medical benefits, on going consulting agreement.

Allowed me to amass enough wealth to very comfortably retire at 51.

Me thinks they not so bad after all!!!
RockyMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #9

That reminds me of a quote from "Retired at 35":

Quote:
"But those huge corporation steal your soul."

"Yeah, but you know what they give you in return? Money!"
Nobody loves their MegaCorp for anything other than the cash it doles out. And it doesn't love you beyond your utility.

The trick is getting out with enough cash to live a decent life, while you still have a life left and a soul to enjoy it with.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I've heard some real whopper stories from people at small companies, maniacal owner/boss, no HR to turn to (or 'HR' is the owner/bosses brother), etc. If you find a place that you seem to fit in well, I wouldn't worry about the size, just run with it!

-ERD50[/QUOTE]

Yes, bad behavior and poor treatment of employees is not only the domain of Megacorp.
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Sort of like life in the world.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #12

I get it now. I am the director of a nonprofit with 80-90 employees. I make OK money, good benefits and I'm treated well. But I would never get rich or have health insurance upon retirement. Fortunately, I'm married to a man who works for the State, makes much better money, will have a pension that would pass to me, if something happens to him first and health insurance for both of us.

My brother is an engineer employed by what I would call a Megacorp, by your description. I think it's accurate to say that they are trying to steal his soul, and pay him very well while doing it. Sometimes I am really appalled at his treatment.

I can vouch for horrible working conditions at small companies. The boss I worked under at our nonprofit, before I got her job, was a truly horrible lady. She only was here 2 years and nearly took us under. She was a master at threatening, humiliation and manipulation. She was fired after our two biggest funding sources told our board that they were pulling funding unless she was gone. That's when I was promoted in 1987.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #13

Small companies will be hit or miss. I started in college with a small (3000 person/ $400M in revenue) software company. It rocked. 10% and 5% bonuses were common each quarter and year, and we had keg parties in the driveway too.

Then we were bought out by a megacorp, sold to an investment bank, then sold off to another megacorp. Got worse each time. I have some soul left, but am changing careers real soon to keep what I have left of it.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #14

<From Wikipedia>

Quote:
"Megacorporation" is a term popularized by William Gibson derived from the combination of the prefix mega- with the word corporation. It has become a term popularly used in cyberpunk literature. It refers to a fictional corporation that is a massive conglomerate, holding monopolistic or near-monopolistic control over multiple markets (thus exhibiting both a horizontal and a vertical monopoly). Megacorps are so powerful that they can ignore the law, possess their own heavily-armed (often military-sized) private armies, hold 'sovereign' territory, and possibly even act as outright governments (As in Final Fantasy VII). They often exercise a large degree of control over their employees, taking the idea of 'corporate culture' to an extreme. Such organizations are a staple of science fiction long predating cyberpunk, appearing in the works of writers such as Philip K. Dick (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?), Thea von Harbou (Metropolis), Robert A. Heinlein (Citizen of the Galaxy), Robert Asprin (The Cold Cash War) and Andre Norton (the Solar Queen novels).
Almost all depictions of a megacorporation show them as amoral (unconcerned with using ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ in their decision-making process) operating purely out of a desire to achieve productivity, profit and efficiency as a machine would.[citation needed] An exception to this takes place in a Christmas story that takes place in a town where almost all businesses are owned by a corporation named Own All Corp. When the owner of the only store not owned by Own All Corp refuses to sell, she suffers no kind of sabotage from the corporation but rather from a greedy relative who desired to grab the money Austin Bucks, head of Own All Corp, offered. In fact, Own All Corp does no kind of wrongdoing thought the whole story. Very few corporations in the world currently meet the criteria to be considered true megacorporations, so the concept remains contained in the realm of speculative fiction.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
........... She was a master at threatening, humiliation and manipulation...........

......and is currently CEO of......
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Nobody loves their MegaCorp for anything other than the cash it doles out. And it doesn't love you beyond your utility.
I would say that statement would apply to any company, regardless of size; at least that has been my experience...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
Been in one of those -- owned by a megalomaniac. Whenever something went wrong it usually was very loudly blamed on the closest person.

This one declared himself the HR department and insisted on doing payroll personally. He would only pay via direct deposit -- except one time he was a day late and paid with a handwritten check. We never heard went wrong with this one, but one of the other guys told me he was asked to restore some Quickbooks files on the server.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

A large bureaucracy run by accountants. For me more specifically is, upper management wanting you to perform miracle tasks and never provide you with the resources to ever succeed. Then the tasks are dropped and forgotten until upper management is replaced, then the whole things starts over again.
e86s54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #19

I bow down to you survivors of Megacorps! Enjoy your ER.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Is Megacorp bad?

Let me think....great salary, yearly bonus, stock options, pension, 401k match, early retirement medical benefits, on going consulting agreement.

Allowed me to amass enough wealth to very comfortably retire at 51.

Me thinks they not so bad after all!!!
Every mega is different and mine is particularly greedy:
Great salary - in line with the market, but no raise in several years
Yearly bonus - Some years, but they're measley. I've had one in four years and it was $2000 (< 5% of my salary)
Stock options - not where I work
Pension - nope
401k match - up to the 1st 2%...so not great
ER medical - for now
Consulting - don't know about that one

If I had a career do over, I would have considered the public sector or possibly the military.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote