Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What is the best way to give grandkids $ of future education?
Old 02-05-2021, 05:15 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What is the best way to give grandkids $ of future education?

Feeling blessed to have a 2 year old granddaughter and now a grandson in a few months. I am going to visit them next week (In Arizona) and wanted to broach the subject of DW and I starting them a college fund. Ive read about 529's and other methods. Are their pro's and con's I should consider? I know this forum has a lot of wisdom on this topic and I thank you in advance.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2021, 05:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
Feeling blessed to have a 2 year old granddaughter and now a grandson in a few months. I am going to visit them next week (In Arizona) and wanted to broach the subject of DW and I starting them a college fund. Ive read about 529's and other methods. Are their pro's and con's I should consider? I know this forum has a lot of wisdom on this topic and I thank you in advance.
Congrats on your grands! It definitely is a blessing to be able to participate financially in the kids' education.

In my opinion the 529s are the best option. Some people will do UGMA's or similar, but that's really a risk because there's no strings attached to the money once the kid turns 18, I think that's a bad plan since there's no way to know at this point how they will decide to spend it. Also UGMA's count against the student in aid computations.

haven't looked at the education IRAs recently but generally the contribution limits were so low that it seemed hard to really make a dent. I think they also have some of the same risk of the kid controlling the account when they turn 18.

On 529s you want to search out the best plans, not necessarily using your state's plan. I can't recall if Arizona's state plan is decent or not. You will definitely have some research to do in that regard.

State plans may also carry with them state tax benefits. That is true here in Virginia. Not sure if that's true in Arizona, and if you are not taxable in Arizona and decide to use the state plan, you may want to gift those funds to your kids and let them make the contributions and get the deduction, so it is not lost.

Best of luck.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:26 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I have recently started monthly contributions to a 529 Colorado plan. That is what our FA advised.
Rocky mtn high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:30 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As you mention, 529's are one good vehicle grandparents can use. There is some flexibility available with them in that both parents and grandparents can set up 529's for a kid, as I understand. And growth of funds over time is tax deferred.

Another thought, but not so flexible, some particular states/colleges allow "buying" four years education in advance at current tuition rates. But if when kid gets to college age and doesn't want to go to that college, options to "solve" that are more limited. Might check with your grandkids' state/colleges on any prepay plans available there.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
As you mention, 529's are one good vehicle grandparents can use. There is some flexibility available with them in that both parents and grandparents can set up 529's for a kid, as I understand. And growth of funds over time is tax deferred.

Another thought, but not so flexible, some particular states/colleges allow "buying" four years education in advance at current tuition rates. But if when kid gets to college age and doesn't want to go to that college, options to "solve" that are more limited. Might check with your grandkids' state/colleges on any prepay plans available there.
We established 529s for our ten gc and they have worked well. And we get a tax break in our state.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:39 PM   #6

I established 529's for 3 of our grandchildren.
#1 graduated last year
#2 will be a senior this year
#3 is 7 years old and her fund is growing.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:02 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I established 529's for 3 of our grandchildren.
#1 graduated last year
#2 will be a senior this year
#3 is 7 years old and he fund is growing.

Nice! Great gift to pass on.
swaneesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #8

I may just pay for their college as they attend (we don't have any GC yet). The reason is they may not go to college. Most of my retirement money will end up in my Roth by the time any future grandkids are college age, so it will be tax free just like a 529. But if they don't go to college, the money is still tax free and no 10% penalty on the earnings.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I may just pay for their college as they attend (we don't have any GC yet). The reason is they may not go to college. Most of my retirement money will end up in my Roth by the time any future grandkids are college age, so it will be tax free just like a 529. But if they don't go to college, the money is still tax free and no 10% penalty on the earnings.
My thoughts exactly. We have decided that we want to help the grands with school, but with certain conditions. For example, we feel fine supporting an education that will actually help them earn a living, but not so much about a few recent majors that have popped up that have absolutely no prospect of helping them earn a living. So while we want to help, we also want to support responsible choices. If we are going to waste money, either by just supporting a non-productive lifestyle, or by supporting a worthless degree, we may as well waste it on ourselves.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes, good thought, IF one is of the right present age to be fairly sure one will still be around when the grandkids go to college!
Old 02-05-2021, 06:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Yes, good thought, IF one is of the right present age to be fairly sure one will still be around when the grandkids go to college!
You could put them in a trust and pass on the college money that way if you die before they make it to college age. Step up basis would be their friend. And you can stipulate that if it isn't used for college it goes somewhere else.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:37 PM   #12

Quote:
You could put them in a trust and pass on the college money that way if you die before they make it to college age. Step up basis would be their friend. And you can stipulate that if it isn't used for college it goes somewhere else.
Good deal!

To every problem, there is a solution.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:00 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

For grandkids, I would suggest helping them pay off student loans AFTER they get a "good" education. Since it's my money, I get to decide what "good" means. If their major includes the word "studies" in it, they're on their own. If their major implies a c*reer path within it (engineering, biology, chemistry, education, etc. etc.) then I'm all in - if they graduate and get a j*b.

Once they go through the FAFSA process and pick a "reasonable" school and see how much they have to borrow, hopefully they will base at least some of their decisions on what their education will actually cost (someone.) If they are unaware that Grams and Gramps MIGHT be willing to kick in at some point, they be a bit less free with someone else's money.

I've known too many families who more or less let their kids pick a school and a major that sounded "cool" and THEN were willing to pay for the kid's expenses. When the kids/parents/grand parents find out a major in Theater Studies qualifies the kid to apply for 5 positions out of 200 similar graduates - or to drive a cab, it's too late. I think kids should be on the hook for as much as possible and w*rk as much as possible so they will appreciate their education. THEN old Grams and Gramps can step in and help save the day when the kids are getting started in the REAL world.

Just my opinion and I'm sure I'm a minority opinion on this subject. By the way, that's how we did it with our kids. It was rather successful if I say so myself. The kids are successful and had relatively little debt for us to help them pay. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:23 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have 529 plans set up for our three grandkids. PA and Utah 529 plans each use Vanguard funds and they’re doing well. PA allows tax deductions for other states 529s, so we luck out there. We have control of the money, not the kids. Their parents are successors for the accounts after DW and I are both gone. If they choose not to go to college the money can either be used for vocational training or the beneficiaries changed to someone else of the many kids in our family. Anything not used can also be passed from generation to generation.
The trust idea posted above involves the cost of setting up a trust, paying trust tax rates on income, filing tax returns, and paying someone to manage the trust if you are gone or incapable of handling it.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:26 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

We created a 529 plan for our daughter when she was 2 weeks old...20 years ago. It was age-based and became more conservative as she got closer to college age. She is now a sophomore in college and the 529 plan has performed well and provided a needed tax break for us over the years ($20K annual deductible contribution limit at least in IL). We are fortunate that she is a very responsible, serious student, and trending toward a Biology/medical career.
A few years back we thought we had enough money in the 529 fund to pay for 5 kids (we only have 1), but as tuition has shot past the moon, our fund will now deplete prior to her senior year. If college tuition doesn't change its course, some of these schools will cost $125K-$150K per year in about 10-15 years. Her current college is at $73K including room & board. Although this year we have not paid room & board since she is attending online the entire year.
nap470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:09 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

OP here, thanks for the opinions on 529 plans and other options. It does seem there are benefits in both investing in the plan and just gifting $'s to an account controlled by me for their benefit. I am still not clear about how the state tax deduction works. Can anyone explain this. I live in a different state (Ga) than the child (Az). I file 2 state returns (1 in GA and the other in California).
Old 02-06-2021, 09:16 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
OP here, thanks for the opinions on 529 plans and other options. It does seem there are benefits in both investing in the plan and just gifting $'s to an account controlled by me for their benefit. I am still not clear about how the state tax deduction works. Can anyone explain this. I live in a different state (Ga) than the child (Az). I file 2 state returns (1 in GA and the other in California).

This might help: https://www.savingforcollege.com/529...llege-529-plan
Old 02-06-2021, 09:20 AM   #18

Quote:
I am still not clear about how the state tax deduction works. Can anyone explain this.
We live in Michigan and participate in the Michigan 529. Contributions to the MESP show up as a "Subtraction from Income" on the Michigan tax form. The students need not be residents of Michigan or attend a Michigan educational institution.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

"One important caveat is the difference in treatment if someone other than the parents or student—such as a grandparent—owns the 529 plan. In that case, while these 529 savings are not reported as a student asset on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), any distribution from this 529 plan is reported as income to the beneficiary, potentially resulting in a significant reduction in eligibility for need-based aid the following year."

The above is from Fidelity:
https://www.fidelity.com/learning-ce...-savings-plans
ITTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:41 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITTN View Post
"One important caveat is the difference in treatment if someone other than the parents or student—such as a grandparent—owns the 529 plan. In that case, while these 529 savings are not reported as a student asset on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), any distribution from this 529 plan is reported as income to the beneficiary, potentially resulting in a significant reduction in eligibility for need-based aid the following year."

The above is from Fidelity:
https://www.fidelity.com/learning-ce...-savings-plans

I believe that can be avoided by simply paying the school directly.