What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?

I noticed they give you the option to pick up at some local depots nearby.

Also to return to depots such as Whole Foods, rather than ship it back.

What am I paying Prime for?

I don't mind dropping it off at Whole Foods, since I can shop on the same trip and I don't have to package things back up.

But no way I'm driving to pick up stuff rather than having them deliver to my door when I'm paying for Prime.

Plus it's better to have a limited number of delivery vehicles deliver to your door than every person who orders something each driving to these Amazon depots.

I order literally thousands of dollars of stuff from Amazon each year. When things go bad, it's really bad, but most of the time it is good. All orders are fulfilled and shipped by Amazon. They ship exclusively by UPS to my address. It is much more convenient than a trip to town. At some point they may refuse to deliver to my address, but until then the convenience is well worth it.

I am in a similar situation, lots of orders, remote area, delivery by UPS... except, lately they have been sending a lot of stuff by USPS. This is annoying because, although we have an NBU mailbox with lockers for packages for the small neighborhood, the lockers are often full so I have to go pick up at the post office. This usually means waiting until Saturday and making a special 30 mile round trip.

With the 8.7% SS COLA in mind, I am starting to slide into BTD mode! Well, not in a big way yet, but I'm less concerned about saving every cent for inflation, and starting to invade my "maybe later" wish list.

I ordered:

1.) stronger reading glasses, since my vision has been unreasonably bad lately. Also
2.) more amiibo cards (these are a fun accessory for Animal Crossing, my video game), and
3.) 18 mega-rolls of TP to re-fill my stash a month early.

Total cost including tax was $59.36, and my SS increase will be 3-4 times that much. How cool is that! :D

Not quite moving into Robbie territory, but it's fun to stop delaying and instead go ahead and buy a few things I had been putting off. :LOL: ;)

Bought a digital timer for my kitchen.

Had a simple mechanical one that I loved but it konked out on me. No longer rings.

Thought about getting another mechanical of different brand but reviews of them too dying nudged me into trying digital this time.

Time will tell if I made a good choice or not.

Attachments

• digital timer.jpg
    digital timer.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 19
A battery and 2 mice for a used laptop I bought from a Facebook Marketplace seller.

My last order was delivered in a young guy in street clothes driving what looked like a 1990's Honda Civic with no hubcaps and a rusted hood and roof. The car looked like it was just hauled out of the scrap yard. Real professional....:facepalm:

This is the deluxe service, I guess.

Nice that a kid in a clunker is willing to w*rk to make some coin. Not everyone is willing to do that.

Last edited:
The book "Samauri!" by Saburo Sakai. According to the blurb material it's the autobiography of Japan's greatest fighter pilot in WWII. Most reviews are very good. It'll be interesting to read about that aspect of WWII from that perspective.

And a book for DW called "The Deep End of the Ocean" by Jacquelyn Mitchard. I have no idea what it's about but she wanted it.

currently waiting in my cart:
large glass gazing ball for my" peace garden"
non binding sox for dh
school uniform shirts and shorts for DGS

A Polar H10 heart rate monitor. I'll probably use it mostly to check my heart rate variability, which I've been curious about for some time.

The book "Samauri!" by Saburo Sakai. According to the blurb material it's the autobiography of Japan's greatest fighter pilot in WWII. Most reviews are very good. It'll be interesting to read about that aspect of WWII from that perspective.

And a book for DW called "The Deep End of the Ocean" by Jacquelyn Mitchard. I have no idea what it's about but she wanted it.

As much as novelists of the day (okay, and the past) love obscure titles for their novels, I'd bet $5 the book has virtually nothing to do with the ocean - deep or not, but YMMV.

Sorry, I should have put that in the "Pet Peeves" thread.

A Polar H10 heart rate monitor. I'll probably use it mostly to check my heart rate variability, which I've been curious about for some time.

Dear Sister never listens to me when it comes giving presents. She knew that I had on and off A-fib. So she asked if she could get me a KardiaMobile device. I told her in no uncertain terms: NOT if it requires downloading an app to use it.

Of course, it DOES require an app and of course, Sis SENT me one for BD. I'm still looking for someone to regift it to. The good news (or maybe bad news) I know instantly if I go into Afib. I don't need no stinkin' monitor.

Recently went to ER since my AFib had lasted longer than usual (previously, I always converted on my own.) Just about the time my "team" got everything hooked up, blood samples drawn, X-ray dragged in, etc., I told the team "It stopped." They looked at each other and then at the on-going ecg and said "You're right." Several thousand dollar ER visit with all their gear (and NO KadriaMobile device or app.) and I knew the second it started and the second it quit. YMMV

Oh, but I do love my Big Sis!!

6 Amazon Basics LED light bulbs and 3 boxes of Ritz crackers.... not too exciting! But I was completely out of both.

A new oil filler cap for our Jeep Grand Cherokee. After watching a Youtube video on how to change the oil, and noting the mechanic saying to put the oil filler cap on top of the hood latch in front of the radiator while you drain the oil, that way you won't be able to close the hood and accidentally leave the cap off...... seemed like a good idea.

A jar of unsweetened unflavored whey protein.

The local stores don't carry this simple supplement. Instead they are all flavored and thus include too much sugar or/or artificial sweeteners. And most of those are plant based which is not what I want.

Last edited:
Recently went to ER since my AFib had lasted longer than usual (previously, I always converted on my own.) Just about the time my "team" got everything hooked up, blood samples drawn, X-ray dragged in, etc., I told the team "It stopped." They looked at each other and then at the on-going ecg and said "You're right." Several thousand dollar ER visit with all their gear (and NO KadriaMobile device or app.) and I knew the second it started and the second it quit. YMMV

I had a similar experience with tachycardia—I could tell when it was going to start and when it was going to stop. It'd start with a flip-flop of my heart, then I'd get an odd sweeping sensation in my torso right before it stopped.

HRV is not as easy to sense though. I can check my pulse to see if my heart rate slows during exhalation, but a device that can measure HRV will give a more comprehensive result. I'm curious how much my HRV is affected by various activities such as exercise, meditation, and alcohol. Plus, as I understand it, an unexplained decrease in HRV can indicate an oncoming illness.

A string trimmer that failed within a couple hours of use.
Still within the 30 day return window, so back it goes, no charge.
Bless their hearts.

New China Carb for my ECHO P225 edger. You can not adjust the Hi-Lo jets even on the China replacements. There might be a way to remove the plastic stops but it was easier to spend $20.

I read his book several decades ago, it's very riveting. Something incredible (at least to me) happened on one of his missions. I won't spoil it for you but you'll know it when you read about it.

_B

Just spent 10 days helping DS1 get his new house in northern BC in shape. Ordered many things and I must say, as much as I have my doubts about Amazon, it can be quite useful when one lives in a relatively remote location. Was impressed with shipping time on most things despite the distance from nearest 'major' city - 8 hours by road.

I ordered some collagen powder, some xylitol, and some vitamin k-2.

It seems to me that Amazon is sandbagging on the dates for free shipping. For everything I've ordered in the past couple months, the delivery dates were given as 2-4 weeks out. But then everything has arrived within two to six days. There is a warehouse nearby, but I'm not sure that would speed up deliveries, plus I'd think that'd be figured in to the estimated delivery dates. Are they trying to pry a few extra bucks from my hands?

Back
Top Bottom