What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?

Sipping my coffee now made with my burr grinder. I think it turned out a little smoother and less bitter but I'm not sure I could tell in a blind test.

I will have to play the coarseness setting a bit -- it seems that there is still some variation in the size of the coffee grounds (but way better than a blade chopper).

Well I certainly hope the hario is so good I want to upgrade. Currently using a blade grinder with my french press which I understand is a big faux pas.

Oh! The little Hario is perfect for use with a 1 liter French press. Set it for a moderately coarse grind, fill it, grind for maybe 45 sec, and you're good to go. Back on topic, I got all three Hario grinders through Amazon. The biggest holds two days of decaf espresso grind. The mid-size one usually has a couple days of 'leaded' espresso grind, and the little one... erm... does a moderately coarse grind for the Sunday morning French press. :D

The little grinder is neat. It's easily hand-held, and unlike the blade grinders, won't make all that 'flour' or coffee dust that makes French press or metal filtered coffee (like espresso) cloudy and bitter. You can walk about while grinding. It doesn't need to sit on a table.

Latest thing ordered: Magnetic jewelry clasps for DW, who reached her 'lobster-claw' clasp limit this morning. :nonono:

Last edited:
I just ordered brake pads for my Dodge Ram 1500 from Amazon. I had the truck in the dealer to get a recall item fixed. Service department said I needed new brakes and quoted me $399 for front brakes and to turn the rotars. Yikes! I will do it myself for a lot less.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I just ordered brake pads for my Dodge Ram 1500 from Amazon. I had the truck in the dealer to get a recall item fixed. Service department said I needed new brakes and quoted me $399 for front brakes and to turn the rotors. Yikes! I will do it myself for a lot less.
Interesting, too, how these repairs tend to be in even $100 increments. You may not even need to turn the rotors if you aren't experiencing brake pulsation. Just deglaze them.

Interesting, too, how these repairs tend to be in even $100 increments. You may not even need to turn the rotors if you aren't experiencing brake pulsation. Just deglaze them.

I'm surprised the dealership quoted on turning rotors. Most dealerships don't have a lathe to chuck up a rotor and face it off, let alone even know how to do jobs like that.

I guess they would send the rotors out to a shop or just call and tell you that new rotors are needed for an additional $200.

I changed the front brakes on my 2002 Dodge Ram last summer in one hour and that included new pads and rotors. The total cost was about $100 in parts.

I just ordered Stella Dora annisette cookies. They're REALLY hard to get around here but are a key ingredient for my husbands favorite cake (Italian cream cake). Since it's his birthday next week I ordered the cookies from amazon. Last year I spent the time to go down to our Little Italy neighborhood and checked the two specialty grocers down there, Filippis and Mona Lisas, (where I've had success in the past) and found nada... Stella Dora randomly starts/stops shipping their products to the west coast. I ended up ordering from amazon. This year I saved myself the trouble and just ordered them off amazon from the start.

Seems weird to order a grocery item from them...

Got a new toy to match my toy battery charger :):

Attachments

• tester.jpg
    tester.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 9
I just spent the $100 free gift card I got by signing up for a DiscoverIt Chrome card at Amazon over the Christmas holiday. :D
I bought suet blocks for the birdies, truffles and Bella Coola loose leaf herbal tea for me, and some office supplies and replacement shaver heads for Mr B.
Free is good ! :dance:

Got myself an 8-bay battery charger. I didn't really need it as I have two other chargers (4 bays at a time), but it will be convenient (and fun) to have fresh batteries on standby. :)

Amazon.com: Tenergy TN162 8-Bay Smart AA/AAA NiMH/NiCd Battery Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

So the charger arrived, but when I opened up, realized there is this tiny tiny piece of paper stuck in between the LCD screen and LCD cover. :facepalm:

The charger was brand new too. Where is quality control? :LOL:

I ordered a replacement and this charger is going back for a refund.

ZTS Mini 9R Battery Tester - ZTS MINI-MBT9R - Auto Battery Testers - Amazon.com

Oops. I did it again and just ordered another battery tester :)

I really don't need it as I've been moving to all low discharge rechargeable batteries and once a battery from a set (such as in a CD player) goes kaput, I just recharge the entire set which is like replacing with all new (if I was using alkalines) batteries.

But the tester could be fun (until I get bored) :LOL:. Plus, it may come in handy to show me how much juice is in my 9v garage door opener remote battery and/or smoke detector battery.

Attachments

• zts mini tester.jpg
    zts mini tester.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 4
In the middle of the night last night, I discovered a momentary bargain. The Fujitsu mobile document scanner that I wanted was very briefly listed for $19 less than the lowest it has been listed for over the past year (I've been watching it!). So, it is on its way to me now. :D

I am going to use it to scan in my file cabinet contents, which will make hurricane evacuations or moving (once I find my dream house) much easier. :D

In the middle of the night last night, I discovered a momentary bargain. The Fujitsu mobile document scanner that I wanted was very briefly listed for $19 less than the lowest it has been listed for over the past year (I've been watching it!). So, it is on its way to me now. :D

I am going to use it to scan in my file cabinet contents, which will make hurricane evacuations or moving (once I find my dream house) much easier. :D

That scanner looks nice! I've been eyeing a portable scanner (looking at a Doxie) myself but got side tracked and bought a blood pressure monitor instead :)

The Fujitsu mobile document scanner that I wanted was very briefly listed for $19 less than the lowest it has been listed for over the past year (I've been watching it!). So, it is on its way to me now. :D

I predict that you'll love the fuji scanner. We have a slightly different model and it's been fantastic for going paperless.

I predict that you'll love the fuji scanner. We have a slightly different model and it's been fantastic for going paperless.

Oh good! Glad to hear this. I was slightly dreading the work involved in all the scanning and shredding ahead (but it's got to be done). Once I get the older stuff scanned in, hopefully scanning new items every week or two won't be too bad.

That scanner looks nice! I've been eyeing a portable scanner (looking at a Doxie) myself but got side tracked and bought a blood pressure monitor instead :)

Believe me, I can relate to that. Besides, the BP monitor is more important.

I bookmarked this scanner (the Fujitsu 1300i) quite some time ago and have been checking it nightly. I wasn't planning on buying it this month, but just had to jump on it last night around 1:30 AM when the price dropped radically like that for just a few hours. It hadn't dropped at all at 10:30 PM.

ordered two light sensors @ $21 each.

Those look great! :) I love automated lights and they can save energy, too.

Last edited:
I ordered a new bookbag for my kid (his is literally ripping at the seams from the weight of his books.) Also an extension cord that is super flush/sideways to the wall socket and rated for under carpet. And finally, methylfolate vitamins (an add on item so I took advantage of the other stuff to order this.) Amazon is the cheapest/easiest place to get the methyl b9.

Just ordered Turbo tax premier for $53.99, including state. Got the discs. For some reason it makes me more comfortable than just downloading. But I know the first thing I will need to do is download the updates.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

One of these. DW likes hard boiled eggs but no matter what she does (and she's read up on about every method out there) the egg still sticks to the shell. Sometimes but not others with no discernible pattern.

So I ordered one of these:

It is supposed to arrive tomorrow but may be delayed because of weather. I'll let you know how it works.

Attachments

• cooker.jpg
    cooker.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 6
One of these. DW likes hard boiled eggs but no matter what she does (and she's read up on about every method out there) the egg still sticks to the shell. Sometimes but not others with no discernible pattern.

The trick is to use older eggs. Fresh eggs, when boiled, are harder to peel.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

So we've heard, but still get random results. So we'll see if this gizmo works - the reviews were generally pretty good.

I'm interested in the volume of the buzzer on yours. Mine looks very similar but I can hardly hear when the eggs are done.

So I ordered one of these:

It is supposed to arrive tomorrow but may be delayed because of weather. I'll let you know how it works.
Oh boy - now you have me looking at them. With all the discussion of boiled eggs lately. I'm such a disaster at peeling boiled eggs, that I think the steamers are probably worth it for us.

I have the same prob no matter how old the eggs.

Last edited:
I just ordered two pairs of boys uniform dickie brand pants. The cheap target pants are getting shredded by younger son. He's got 2 more years at this public magnet school that requires a uniform. These pants are adjustable at the waist, and I'm going to hem them so I can let them out as he hits his growth spurts. Best of all they're indestructible. (He's already got a pair.) He'll be excited - they're not hand me downs from his older brother. I got a good deal - 2 pairs for $25... not bad for 2 pairs of school pants that will last several years.

I'm interested in the volume of the buzzer on yours. Mine looks very similar but I can hardly hear when the eggs are done.

Yay, it works! And the buzzer is reasonably loud but not too loud (highly subjective of course) and it stays buzzing until you unplug it. We did six new eggs bought yesterday and six that are about 3 weeks old.

After cooling in ice water the eggs peeled easily with no discernible difference.

Another first world problem solved.:dance:

Back
Top Bottom