What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?

I'll be interested to see if anyone here purchases the Amazon Echo when it comes out - and to see what they think of it. However, I suspect that many of the rational and pragmatic minds who frequent these parts are maybe not the types who will want it.
Got one. It was a rare "fun" purchase.

The pragmatic part is that it is great for cooking. No hands required to set timers, change the music, or put something on the shopping list.

Beyond that, I'm struggling to find uses. It is a lot of fun to ask random questions and find Easter Egg answers.

Honestly, I wish Alexa was driven by a google engine and I told her so. She had a wise-ass answer for me.

Someone here recommended camel camel camel, and that really helps when there are a number of different sellers of the same item on Amazon, to find the best price/shipping combo.

CamelCamelCamel is great for stuff you want , but don't require right away.

Walkstool

Last edited:
Took amazon prime for 30 days to test the water

a condition of apparent weightlessness such as that experienced in orbit or in free fall or my aunts inverse table! Causes blood flow to the brain that might result in amazing thoughts!

I would agree that competitive pricing can make it worthwhile to do a price check against other retailers, in the past nextag.com was good for that, pricegrabber appears to be a similar service, and camelcamelcamel that I read about here provides an interesting look at Amazon's pricing history on specific items, sometimes I'd swear Amazon is competing with themselves.

And I'll pay a little more for not having to deal with creating a new login somewhere else and spreading my CC info in an even wider swath across the net. But then I'm not one to drive around parking lots trying to find the closest parking spot at brick & mortar stores, or drive across town to save a nickel either.

Last night I ordered a washable keyboard from a seller in Amazon. Kind of a spur of the moment thing as I ran across a link describing them, the found myself for hours searching and reading reviews and watching videos of some.

I did get lazy (or tired) and just went ahead and ordered through Amazon. The today, feeling less lazy, decided to check on ebay. The same keyboard, brand new, was $30 less on ebay. Now I have an Amazon order cancellation in progress and when ahead and ordered the one on ebay.

Whether I really need a keyboard that I can dump into the sink to wash, that's a different story :).

I bought the Amazon Kindle Voyage as a birthday present for myself and a book about Washington's spies in the reveloutionary war. Prior to this I used a first generation Nook reader. Readers have come a long way and I am loving the Kindle.

I ordered a pair of two-way radios for my FIL to replace one that DW left in a rental car. Unfortunately, my FIL had a stroke and won't be driving anymore. We ended up returning the units which cost us about $10 for shipping and restocking.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

A nice mandolin. Not for everyday use, I'm comfortable with a chef's knife. Foods that require many fine chopped veggies or sweet potatoes fries... Very much needed, it does require a healthy respect of the sharp blades. I knew that and proceeded to reinforce that on my first use. No stitches just a very small nick, didn't know I did it till there was blood on the food. :what:

Easysurfer, I have no idea.

Back to our most recent purchase from Amazon, I just ordered this:

It's a new 1 TB portable external data storage device. I mentioned earlier on this thread (post #563)that I have been doing dual backups, one on a 64GB thumb drive that I just got, and one on my old, much smaller E-Go portable external hard drive. The E-Go just bit the dust, and I was pleased to discover that new, bigger drives are pretty cheap these days.

And, less than 2 months later the USB end of the shoddy connecting cord that came with it, broke. A replacement is on its way.

I bought the Amazon Kindle Voyage as a birthday present for myself and a book about Washington's spies in the reveloutionary war. Prior to this I used a first generation Nook reader. Readers have come a long way and I am loving the Kindle.

I have an original Kindle 2 that is showing its age. The ON/OFF switch function is becoming intermittent. I have been toying with the idea of upgrading but haven't spent the time to see what I want. I will probably get the un-purchased next-to-last version, knowing me. :LOL:

And, less than 2 months later the USB end of the shoddy connecting cord that came with it, broke. A replacement is on its way.

I really like the Amazon basic cables.

I've ordered new ones for my iDevices to replace the Apple versions. They are cheaper and so far much more durable.

Reactions: W2R
Artscape "new leaf" decorative window film, to provide some small level of privacy for the kitchen window of my new-to-me house without having to deal with mounting blinds or curtains at this busy time. Apparently it can be re-positioned easily, and can be removed leaving no residue.

Also some yellow duct tape:

Last edited:
Picked up a couple of these for our 2 week Florida Vacation next month:

Pacific Breeze EasyUp Beach Tent

712-Hus9RZL._SL1500_.jpg

Bosch HCBG600T Blue Granite 6 Piece Hammer Drill Bit Carbide Tip Tapcon Set

41J6CCGYKKL.jpg

I'm building a screened-in patio and need to drill lots of holes in concrete for Tapcon fasteners. Extra drill bits area a plus.

Thanks for sharing that. Looks like it could be great for hot days on the Pickleball (tennis) court.

Learning pickleball
Image: http://i.imgur.com/pEjyVWi.png
pEjyVWi.png

Absolutely! They are currently in stock ~ they were out of stock for about a month. I was a day late last month and I made sure to get in on them as soon as they were back in stock this time around! :)

Tick Tock Tick Tock

I got an alarm set for when the virtual door opens for the Amazon Prime sale. At the stroke of midnight, I'll have to go through my Amazon Wish List to see if there are any bargains to snatch up.

Of course, Walmart isn't standing idle. It might be fun seeing them duke it out and cough up some good bargains :):

Walmart on Monday announced it will offer an online sale to rival Amazon's Prime Day this Wednesday.

Further, Walmart will offer free shipping for orders of more than $35 for 30 days. It ordinarily offers free shipping on orders exceeding $50.

Walmart to Crash Amazon's Prime Day Party | E-Commerce | E-Commerce Times

Last edited:
Being in love with the small tip of the Thermapen and its measurement speed, I wanted to get another one for the 2nd home. However, the frugal self cringed at the cost.

Then, I happened to see a Thermapen knockoff, at only 1/5 the price. Claimed accuracy of +-0.9F vs. +-0.7F of the Thermapen. Speed of 4-5 seconds vs. 3 seconds. NSF approved (whatever that means).

I do not have an Amazon Prime account, but along with an accessory for my RV, get free shipping for this order.

Will post a report once this meat thermometer is in hand.

A Radio Flyer All-Terrain Stroll 'N Trike Ride On for my granddaughter who is turning 1 year old next month.

Back
Top Bottom