Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2021, 02:45 PM   #3721
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am a bibliophile who loves to laugh at myself, and I stumbled on the perfect book yesterday. It arrives tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #3722
Recycles dryer sheets

Nerd wax for eyeglasses. Glasses keep sliding down. Saw an ad for this product. Gave it a try and am pleased to report it works as advertised.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:52 PM   #3723

A tiny backpacker's stool. Only desperation could lead one to sit in this for longer than 5 minutes, but I have been in such situations! And it is super light.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:02 PM   #3724
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My trusty lead acid type car battery jump starter became not trusty as the jumper battery ran out of juice.

Decided to go the more portable route. Hope these type of jumpers really work and won't leave me stranded one day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jump starter.jpg (132.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-01-2021, 11:16 PM   #3725
Moderator Emeritus

Oriole feeder
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:23 AM   #3726
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My trusty lead acid type car battery jump starter became not trusty as the jumper battery ran out of juice.

Decided to go the more portable route. Hope these type of jumpers really work and won't leave me stranded one day.
I suspect that if you keep them charged on a regular basis (like the AAA guy does) it will work fine. However, based on my 2 (that's right, 2) non-AAA experiences, nobody does. I would, sadly, be in the group where it doesn't work when you need it.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:44 AM   #3727
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I suspect that if you keep them charged on a regular basis (like the AAA guy does) it will work fine. However, based on my 2 (that's right, 2) non-AAA experiences, nobody does. I would, sadly, be in the group where it doesn't work when you need it.
Geeky, but I actually kept a log of all the use and recharge of the lead-acid jump starter that I had to replace .

I religiously recharged almost every 2 months whether used or not. The battery lasted almost 11 years. However, in that time I only used to jumpstart a vehicle once. Did use the cigarette lighter part and with an inverter a total about 10 times. Other than that, oer the 10 years just kept in the trunk and kept idle or took out and recharged. Oh well, was still worth the 1 time of the jumpstart. But now I've gone portable to see how that works.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:54 PM   #3728
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a monthly charge reminder on my Google Calendar and charge both my lithium jumper pack and my lead acid pack religiously. The reminder makes it easy.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:39 PM   #3729
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep, charge them up at least once a month. Not much juice there. I think the trick is they can empty themselves quickly. Also, a really dead LA battery in your car - I don't think they will work. If the LA will make the car click, you should be good to go with a month-old charge (my experience only, so YMMV.)

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:51 AM   #3730
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

You won't be disappointed. They definitely do. I have one of these types in each of our cars. Not only have they started our cars, We have helped others in distress, who have often been shocked that they work and how easy they are to use. Once was to a couple in a shopping center parking lot, who practically ran to the Walmart and auto parts stores in the center to see if they could buy one on the spot.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:01 AM   #3731
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Once was to a couple in a shopping center parking lot, who practically ran to the Walmart and auto parts stores in the center to see if they could buy one on the spot.
Did you suggest while they were shopping they might want to also check on getting a new car battery?
Old 05-03-2021, 07:04 AM   #3732
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Did you suggest while they were shopping they might want to also check on getting a new car battery?

A new battery did not excite them as much as the hand held jumper .
Old 05-03-2021, 03:33 PM   #3733

Two new water leak detectors. One for under the new dishwasher when it is installed and the other for another spot I forgot about.

BTW, anyone else see a problem with Amazon's idea of "bulk pricing"? Suffice it to say I bought two of the "one-pack".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-05-03 125518.jpg (333.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-03-2021, 03:52 PM   #3734
Moderator Emeritus

A bunch of woodworking hand tools
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:31 PM   #3735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
BTW, anyone else see a problem with Amazon's idea of "bulk pricing"? Suffice it to say I bought two of the "one-pack".
That's a riot!

But I see the same thing on my local supermarket shelves all the time. As one of our most illustrious members likes to point out, "numbers is hard."
Old 05-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #3736
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ordered a couple of tires for my mountain bike. Have many sharp rocks where I ride that tend to put large unrepairable slices in the sidewalls. I get maybe a month of riding on a set of tires so this is a very frequent order.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:42 PM   #3737

Two new staplers. The one I have been using for 20+ years finally jammed for the last time and I got tired of clearing it. It was oddly satisfying to throw the thing in the trash can. I looked at OfficeMax since I'll be driving almost right past the store tomorrow but Amazon's price for two staplers including shipping was still cheaper than OfficeMax's one. I came oh-so-close to ordering a red one but the price premium just wasn't worth it to me.

A pair of 40mm x 20mm Super Strong Neodymium Disc Magnets. I haven't the foggiest idea of what practical use I may find for these but I've always found strong magnets fascinating. I do see the smaller sizes use more and more for hatch cover securing on R/C models but these are much too big for that. And yes I know to keep my fingers from between them!
Old 05-24-2021, 07:13 PM   #3738
Moderator Emeritus

New grip for my putter. Got it today and changed it.

Tee time Thursday if the rain ever stop around here.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:39 PM   #3739

I got a bag of xylitol. Need to up my oral hygiene routine, so I'm going to make some mouthwash with it and some other ingredients.

I wanted to order more Loctite spray adhesive, but there's a supply chain shortage. Apparently, some ingredients such as alcohols have been used up making hand sanitizers and other cleaning products. I checked all the hardware stores in the area and finally found some at a Walmart in the next town. Hoping it's enough to finish the carpeting and panel project for our new van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
A pair of 40mm x 20mm Super Strong Neodymium Disc Magnets. I haven't the foggiest idea of what practical use I may find for these but I've always found strong magnets fascinating. I do see the smaller sizes use more and more for hatch cover securing on R/C models but these are much too big for that. And yes I know to keep my fingers from between them!
I have 8 of these that are rubber coated with a hanging strap attached. I got them from work, where they're sold as part of a meter hanging kit. Yes, they're extremely handy! We've been using them in camper vans for hanging sunshades, mosquito netting, and other things. Currently, we're using them to hold headliner material and carpet in place while fitting and glueing sections to the lid and walls in a van. Indeed, they can pinch like heck, even with the rubber coating! I remember the engineer at work saying there are special shipping requirements for batches of these magnets. I can imagine a number of humorous and possibly very dangerous situations that could be caused by improper shipping procedures.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:30 PM   #3740
Give me a forum ...

Ball bearing porch swing hangers. Smooth!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote