Right 8 7.08%
I try not to read any news nowadays 14 12.39%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I have a love/hate relationship for the news. I long for reporting of *facts* and not opinions but this is very difficult to find. It seems like no matter the source, it will be skewed in one direction or another...rarely will it tell me the "whole story."
This. Seems news organizations are trying to create news and skew public opinion. I am skeptical of most news reports and polls. I am disappointed of not being presented with the "facts" and allowing myself to draw my own conclusions.

I really don't have what I would call a reliable news source. It is mind-numbing to go to two news organizations and get diametrically opposed reports and opinions on a single event or subject.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

I like to keep up with current events. I read CNN, Fox, and BBC. it is very interesting to see the difference when they report political news. Overall I like BBC better as I am also interested in news of other parts of the world.
What is the overall bias of your news sources?
Old 03-06-2019, 08:09 AM   #83

I am afraid i only listen to the local news on the radio... the negativity of the big news media became intolerable.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Here is a graphic from that link showing some of the more popular news sources and the ratings given by people voting on the site:

BTW, I tend to agree with these ratings but not exactly all of them.
Thank you for this. I often go to CNN and one day, I looked at Fox News and it looked like another world. I should read more USATODAY
Old 03-06-2019, 08:21 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Like others I used to consume lots of news, even made a point of deliberately watching liberal and conservative networks in equal measure. I can’t stand to do that anymore as all my go to’s have drifted to more extreme views and less fort to be balanced. I am very selective on what I’ll watch or listen to today, and still most of the noise gets through anyway.

My primary source isn’t on the chart in post #1, so I used this one.
Interesting comparison to the initial chart. I would put NYT and WP another click to the left for sure.

Crazy times for sure in "news".
Old 03-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
Interesting comparison to the initial chart. I would put NYT and WP another click to the left for sure.

Crazy times for sure in "news".
Apparently newspapers were a 1700's phenomena. I don't know what it was like in the ancient Roman Empire ... most likely you got it from the street vendor. Then we had radio, then TV, now the internet. Now we have informal stupid news on social media.

Where is it all headed? Maybe back to the streets.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.

I try to read stories from the left, the right and everywhere in between. Both sides lie and distort stories or omit stories that don't fit their agenda. That way hopefully I can find some kernel of truth.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

In the modern world, online news has a personal bias that reinforces whatever your beliefs are.

Twitter Youtube and Facebook are supposedly the most common ways people access news online. Their featured stories are related to your search habits - i.e. they have a user-generated bias towards topics of interest.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Apparently newspapers were a 1700's phenomena. I don't know what it was like in the ancient Roman Empire ... most likely you got it from the street vendor. Then we had radio, then TV, now the internet. Now we have informal stupid news on social media.

Where is it all headed? Maybe back to the streets.
Well the Roman government did post written declarations and announcements as well as having them read aloud in public squares, etc.

Then there was the town crier...

Newspapers required a printing press. 1609 and you’ve got weekly newspapers in Germany.

There had been hand written newsletters (gazettes) in Venice mid 1500s.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:05 AM   #90
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

18th century Twitter
Old 03-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

I only watch Fox News.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
18th century Twitter
Far older than that!
Old 03-06-2019, 09:31 AM   #93

The websites I use for news are biased and always have a 'narrative' they are pushing. Knowing that, I then go to Youtube to get the facts that the news websites omitted. Only on Youtube is the 'elephant in the room' even mentioned.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well the Roman government did post written declarations and announcements as well as having them read aloud in public squares, etc.

Newspapers required a printing press. 1609 and you’ve got weekly newspapers in Germany.

There had been hand written newsletters (gazettes) in Venice mid 1500s.
It would be interesting to know what those early "papers" were like. Did the Venetians disparage the Florentines? Was there fake news ... I know the answer to that.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter also have a narrative and censor viewpoints and news that they disagree with.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It would be interesting to know what those early "papers" were like. Did the Venetians disparage the Florentines? Was there fake news ... I know the answer to that.
One later English opinion:
Quote:
The gazzetta was first published in Venice about the middle of the sixteenth century, and similar news-sheets appeared in France and England in the seventeenth. The untrustworthy nature of their reports is often alluded to by writers of that period; thus Florio explains gazzette as “running reports, daily newes, idle intelligences, or flim flam tales that are daily written from Italie, namely from Rome and Venice”.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

And have you seen some of those cave paintings? Like Og killed a Mammoth with a rock but it fell into a glacier before he could show the tribe.....yeah, right.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
And have you seen some of those cave paintings? Like Og killed a Mammoth with a rock but it fell into a glacier before he could show the tribe.....yeah, right.

If it was on a cave wall it's the truth.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #99

I watch NBC nightly news after DVRing it so I can pause, back up and replay what was actually said. Many times I'll get an emotional reaction to a report, replay it and realize the facts are there, but in a way that triggers an emotion in me that has me with an opinion contrary to the facts. If that makes any sense at all.

I also read the local newspaper, hard copy print delivered to the house each day. Then the e-version of that paper and the local news station for the local stuff.

Everything is left leaning with the local news the most balanced. I get no news from the right or right leaning other than an occasional drive when Rush Limbaugh is on the radio. I am a conservative republican and through all this news, I am a Trump supporter. I'm not sure that's the fault of the Democratic party as it is more the fault of the left leaning press not reporting the unbiased truth. I think any press that leans left or right hurts that party more than helps them, especially when they are caught slanting a story or outright fake news. I think most politicians in America have it in their hearts to make this a better world and that those that are in it for their own personal gain are quickly known and rooted out.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

There was an interesting article in The Atlantic titled "A Geography of Partisan Prejudice" here:
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...judice/583072/

It shows a map of counties in the US by degree of political bias. You can click on your county to see the local result. Our county is in the top 87% of political bias (whether D or R). And our local paper seems to reflect that bias. It has bothered me for quite awhile.

This is why we have decided to stop the subscription to the local (digital) paper and seek a more balanced picture of news. After breakfast I feel emotionally better too. And there are more comics on the web.
Closed Thread