Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2015, 08:28 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
And W2R is right (no surprise), many would be very surprised how many seemingly healthy items really aren't...granola bars are one of hundreds of examples. Food package front labels are usually designed to deceive.
The food processors have turned everything into candy- granola, other cereals, "energy bars", yogurt, coffee (pumpkin-spice latte, anyone?), etc. Even vitamins come in gummi forms. I prefer to buy basic ingredients and make things so I know what I'm actually consuming. For packages products, I do read the labels diligently.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #22

I have no will power to resist ice cream. If there is any in the house, I will eat it. No matter what size container it comes in.

So I only buy it a few times a year, and no larger than pint size.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Most people cringe when I mention I eat a frozen pizza nearly every night. Other than the high sodium they really aren't too bad for you. I've had 200+ every year for the last several years and i'm in very good health. I also eat a couple peanut butter sandwiches nearly every day. I'm not the cookie monster that I once was but I still eat 2-4 cookies 1-2 days a week.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Where to start: boudin, andouille, cracklin's (not that cheap pork rind stuff, the real meaty, fatty, locally cooked ones), fried soft-shell crabs, fried shrimp, chicken livers wrapped in bacon, fried livers, liver and onions, dang I'm getting hungry!
Thankfully my wife doesn't like any of the above (except fried shrimp) so she limits my consumption.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #25

Just this weekend ate milk duds, good n plenty, peppermint ice cream, vanilla ice cream, chocolate brownies, carmel apple, totinos pizza, coke, pancakes.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Pork Rinds -- high in fat & protein, zero carbs -- perfect weight lose snack... what more could you ask for?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:41 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post

As for bacon I love it but only eat it a few times a year.

If it's a Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich, well isn't 2/3 of that vegetables?
My w*rk lunch buddy of many years is married to a vegatarian dietitian. We referred to a BLT as "the vegetable platter with bacon". Sometimes add an egg to it, a BELT!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Too many to list.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
We were at the store and my wife was rolling her eyes because I bought a bag of fried pork skins. It has to be horrible for you, but for some reason I crave them about once a year.
Actually, pork skins are one of the best snacks you can get. They're very filling and have about zero carbs. They're great for diabetics.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I have eaten bacon and eggs every morning for most of my adult life. I also eat fried chicken and steaks a couple times a week. Pork rinds are in the boat on most of my fishing trips with a snickers, almond, to knock of the salty taste after eating the hot pork rinds! I also can't explain why I am in good health! Low cholesterol, good blood pressure, etc.. No meds at all. Medical mystery.
GSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I'm type II diabetic, and I have the worst (and best) thing imaginable sitting on my range. It's a Chocolate Fudge Pie made with 150% of one recipe.

It's butter, sugar, a little flour, cocoa and pecans. I've been working on the recipe my whole life and I bowled over my Sunday School class yesterday morning with it.

I can always take a little larger shot of insulin and skip lunch to eat a piece.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:48 AM   #32

Pecan pie. Especially the bourbon-rich offering at the Hilltop Cafe outside Fredericksburg, TX. The Koffee Kup in Hico, TX is a close second.

At home, DW and I are fairly strict low-carb eaters. Holidays are the only exception. I asked DW to hide the Halloween candy last night because I cannot control myself with that stuff sitting out. Later, I found myself checking a few places where I thought she might have stashed it. No luck. If we buy ice cream at Thanksgiving or Christmas, I'll usually finish it off before the leftover turkey.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

There's taste vs health. I like the flavor of pork skins but the sodium content does a number on me. Same with too much garlic. Love the taste of garlic chicken, but I don't eat to avoid the garlic hangover.

As for worst, anything with mayo or lima beans, count me out .
Old 10-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #34

A big cinnamon roll with chocolate icing. Once a week.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

One thing I refuse to eat is anything made with Bisquick. Despite its nutritional information saying 0 trans fat, it contains partially hydrogenated soybean and or cottenseed oil. No thanks.

The other little gem that shocked me was ketchup, almost 25% sugar from HFCS.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Have you actually eaten road kill before or just joking? I *might* eat a deer if it was legal to process one you hit with your car (I don't think it is legal in most states though).
Only free range, grass fed, organic road kill.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #37

According to the recent (and seriously overhyped) group 1 carcinogen ranking by the WHO, processed meats would be on the list. No problem for me.

Quote:
Bacon, ham and sausages rank alongside cigarettes as a major cause of cancer, the World Health Organisation has said, placing cured and processed meats in the same category as asbestos, alcohol, arsenic and tobacco.
Processed meats rank alongside smoking as cancer causes – WHO | Society | The Guardian

Quick and dirty rebuttal -

https://medium.com/@zsupalla/process...603#.jagyp4h1c
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
A thread I can relate to!
Old 10-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

A thread I can relate to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Pork Rinds -- high in fat & protein, zero carbs -- perfect weight lose snack... what more could you ask for?
Ron hit it!!

My historical bad foods are ice cream and other sweets (cup cakes, cinnamon rolls, etc).

I started a low carb diet (my own version) last April to knock off 40 pounds gained from too much of a good thing. I gave up:

Sweets (all kinds)
Starches (potatoes, pasta, rice, etc)
All baked goods which are mostly starch and sugar.

(^^^Pretty simple, eh?^^^)

What I ate?

1. LOTS OF BAGS OF PORK RINDS! ( I think I'm an authority on them now) - as a snack food!
2. Steamed broccoli and other steamed veggies,
3. Chicken (any way but battered and fried).
4. Fish (grilled or broiled)
5. Eggs, bacon and more bacon!
6. Salads

(I'm not much on red meat so I didn't consume much since April.)

I am now 35 pounds down from where I started.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #39

Peanut M & M's. Just can't say no to them. Also, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love cheese but generally eat it in small quantities and buy the lower fat cheese if possible. But sometimes I splurge on a pizza or get a pint of chile con queso with a bag of tortilla chips from my favorite Mexican restaurant - the freshly made chips that could be fried in lard based on the taste. Jalapeno poppers filled with cheese or chile rellenos are good. Also love Cheetos. Crackers are another downfall e.g., the Clubhouse crackers that are buttery. Cheese and crackers are my favorite appetizer.

But I prefer those Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches to real ice cream. Pastries and such don't appeal to me unless home made. And I'm not a big meat eater.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote