Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2022, 08:52 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ok, I think we have a winner on Reddit!

It's a "fish priest," a club for bonking fish.

The forked end is a bit odd, but my husband suggested it could be used to follow the line down the fish's throat, then push the hook out of position. Possibly the fork was added later, either as a part from something else or it was a new-fangled plastic part manufactured for this purpose when plastic became mainstream.

A priest makes sense, as my dad did some salmon fishing in the 50s-70s.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2022, 08:56 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondAttempt View Post
I can't find your reddit post. Are you getting any hints there?
I didn't do the post right the first time. I was waiting for a confirmation-type email, not realizing I had to look on the site for a special message. I guess I didn't RTFM!
Old 10-26-2022, 09:09 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
I didn't do the post right the first time. I was waiting for a confirmation-type email, not realizing I had to look on the site for a special message. I guess I didn't RTFM!
It's Reddit there's no freaking manual!

That's a good explanation especially the de-hooker.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:01 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The forked end is a bit odd, but my husband suggested it could be used to follow the line down the fish's throat, then push the hook out of position. Possibly the fork was added later, either as a part from something else or it was a new-fangled plastic part manufactured for this purpose when plastic became mainstream.

Yes. And in hindsight, I forgot that I actually had one when I was a kid.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:07 AM   #45

Quote:

Were we fish it's called either a fish shampooer or a fish-be-good. I like shampooer better myself. Ha! Give that fish a shampoo and it calms right down...
Old 10-26-2022, 10:16 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

The things you learn. "Priest". Amazing. Glad you found a logical connection to your dad too!

I just joined that subreddit. Looks like fun.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:27 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We were more plain I guess, so we called it a "fish bonker". Ours was like a small wooden club with a thin handle and a fat wood bulb on the end. It must have had lead inside as it was unnaturally heavy at the impact end.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:32 AM   #48

OP, you are a lucky person. You can now bonk fish, plant seeds, and conduct Tesla arcs, all with one handy tool!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:34 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
We were more plain I guess, so we called it a "fish bonker". Ours was like a small wooden club with a thin handle and a fat wood bulb on the end. It must have had lead inside as it was unnaturally heavy at the impact end.
Guess it is not the British meaning of the bonker.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:39 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
+1
Childhood memory of one in a cousin's cabin. Theirs was like a miniture baseball bat with lead in the center.

Depending on what you are fishing for the dehooker may not be necessary. Seems like the cousins fished deep water lake trout with 6" lures. If you caught something it was coming home for dinner.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 02:10 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
OP, you are a lucky person. You can now bonk fish, plant seeds, and conduct Tesla arcs, all with one handy tool!
I can also bash out the side window in my car if I ever veer off into a body of water!
Old 10-26-2022, 03:34 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can also bash out the side window in my car if I ever veer off into a body of water!
And use the other side to get the tangle of lines out of your way.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:57 PM   #53

I remain skeptical. Although I've never heard it called a "priest," I'm certainly familiar with the tool. They're usually more bat-shaped. I've never seen one with a brass ball on the end. Dropping that on the deck wouldn't be good. Amid all the action landing a fish, you don't want something which requires precise aim. A long, cylindrical shape is better.

The plastic fork is also something I've never seen on a boat, nor have I seen a fish hook remover shaped like that.

When I search both of these things on Google images I don't see anything like this.

A ceremonial use makes more sense to me. There are all kinds of crazy rituals. Some organizations prefer simple, tradesman-like implements, rather than something ornate.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 06:47 PM   #54
Administrator

A stylus of some sort for following ceremonial text

A wand. Were either of your parents wizards?

Stanchion for catching and holding worms or lizards.

A talking stick - you can only speak when holding it (meeting management tool) and must remain silent when others control the stick. (I used to use a roll of duct tape for this purpose as a reminder that failure to adhere to the rules could result in a strip of tape being removed from the roll and employed to enforce order. This is evidentially not considered polite, however).
Old 10-26-2022, 07:21 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I tend to wonder how those ceremonial organizations can survive nowadays, with all the male-female role separation. I'd use the brass end of this object on anybody who tried to call me a Worthy Matron, or any kind of a matron for that matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
Google Lens says:

Magic Trick Spell Casting Channel Energies Wood Carved Different Colors Big 15" Wand

https://www.walmart.com/ip/628437658
Quote:
Thanks for checking with your mom!

My mom got me and my ex sis-in-law to join OES years ago, and I remember a baton, but not like this thing. I've found quite a few OES items, as my grandmother and mother were both Worthy Matrons many times. Mom and dad even got to go to Scotland as Grand Representatives one year. So I have lots of OES decorated china, books, a nice marble gavel, jewelry, and other items, but nothing that looks like a ritual kit.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 01:19 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I remain skeptical. Although I've never heard it called a "priest," I'm certainly familiar with the tool. They're usually more bat-shaped. I've never seen one with a brass ball on the end. Dropping that on the deck wouldn't be good. Amid all the action landing a fish, you don't want something which requires precise aim. A long, cylindrical shape is better.

The plastic fork is also something I've never seen on a boat, nor have I seen a fish hook remover shaped like that.

When I search both of these things on Google images I don't see anything like this.

A ceremonial use makes more sense to me. There are all kinds of crazy rituals. Some organizations prefer simple, tradesman-like implements, rather than something ornate.
I'm also skeptical. When I google "fish priest" or "fish bonker" I find a lot of things that look like they would do the job but nothing that looks even remotely like what you have. I've fished salmon. The brass ball would probably be enough to deliver last rites but that plastic piece would be worthless for gutting. It also would not be very good for removing hooks.

It could be something your father cobbled together from what he had for that purpose but I suspect it is something else.
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 01:22 AM   #57

Have you smelled it, like really close? Obviously smells dissipate over time but I've got fishing gear that I have not used in 40+ years that still smells, at least slightly, like fish. I would think the wood part at least would retain some odor if it were exposed to fish.
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 05:46 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I recall the Dr using that for my vasectomy…
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 06:05 PM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado

If it's part of one of these, I'd start digging for the rest:

$17,000 for the complete set. Since they didn't make plastic in the 1800s maybe its a more recent set.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/8685239...8132dba7c6c415
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 06:06 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Yesterday I asked my brother about this—he's done some fishing with our dad—and it's definitely a fish bonker. He saw it in use, and saw the forked end used to dislodge a hook.

Google "vintage fish priest" and you'll see quite a few with a metal ball or other type of metal weight on one end.