Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Nope, look it up.
Yes, I do know that. We had a lovely thread-jack going on where "grammar police" were complaining about various offenses, and the complaints were just as guilty as the posts they complained about. I was hoping that if you were going to complain about misspelling that you would at least misspell your complaint. Oh, nevermind.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

You can always directly ask... "with whom am I communicating?". THEN address your e-mal to that person
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Yes, I do know that. We had a lovely thread-jack going on where "grammar police" were complaining about various offenses, and the complaints were just as guilty as the posts they complained about. I was hoping that if you were going to complain about misspelling that you would at least misspell your complaint. Oh, nevermind.
Good one, GO--the grammer () police would approve.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Very kind offer, thank you! I looked back at some of your posts, and see I have been behaving too often like the smart alec I sometimes can be. If I had known I was speaking to a woman I would have dialed in my "communcating with a woman" module and been a lot more respectful. My apologies.

BTW, I am sure you know many male opera lovers. I am one too.

Ha
No apology needed! I can be one myself at times. Its funny, I must come across on the web as a man because most people seem to automatically refer to me as a he.

I have found that most people, men and women, seem to think the opera is about as enticing as to going to the dentist! However, I have found those that seem to detest it the most have never actually BEEN to the opera.
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
.... I was hoping that if you were going to complain about misspelling that you would at least misspell your complaint. Oh, nevermind.
Sory about that.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I wouldn't be concerned about the tone of the messages in and of itself, but the fact that there seems to be rapid turnover and no guidelines for communication on the part of management staff is something I would be worried about in an apartment rental situation. Nords makes good points about the relative discount value of poor social skills in a seller/buyer context, but this is different -- you won't be able to walk away from these people once you sign the lease. Presumably the people handling the rental arrangements also have oversight for the management of the apartment complex? If so, do you have confidence that any problems in the complex and/or your individual unit will be handled promptly and professionally? And do you really want to live in an environment where the majority of the tenants are likely as casual about things as the management seem to be? Young, unencumbered, probably immature and possibly with decent cashflow could possibly equal a lot of partying, etc. Have you been by the complex at night to see how quiet (or not) it is? Personally, I am not a fan of thumpa thumpa bass under my bedroom and breaking bottles in the alley at 2am, and if it were me I would seriously consider looking into other options. Management staff who handle themselves and their communications in a professional way in the context of the rental process would probably tend to manage the complex in the same way. What you have described would have all my "buyer beware" red flags waving vigorously...

lhamo
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

My 28-year-old DD works in the leasing/customer service field for one of the largest apartment complex companies in the US. That type of communication wouldn't be tolerated. Every employee on-site is in uniform (hers is black suit, white shirt, close-toed shoes, etc), and they are regularly "shopped" and written up for their level of service. They have individual email addresses.

Interestingly, they also rent to that 20-something demographic.

So I think the owners of this complex really don't care much about customer service. I'd run another direction. Imagine the email you'd get when your plumbing is backed up.
NeverBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
I wouldn't be concerned about the tone of the messages in and of itself, but the fact that there seems to be rapid turnover and no guidelines for communication on the part of management staff is something I would be worried about in an apartment rental situation. Nords makes good points about the relative discount value of poor social skills in a seller/buyer context, but this is different -- you won't be able to walk away from these people once you sign the lease. Presumably the people handling the rental arrangements also have oversight for the management of the apartment complex? If so, do you have confidence that any problems in the complex and/or your individual unit will be handled promptly and professionally? And do you really want to live in an environment where the majority of the tenants are likely as casual about things as the management seem to be? Young, unencumbered, probably immature and possibly with decent cashflow could possibly equal a lot of partying, etc. Have you been by the complex at night to see how quiet (or not) it is? Personally, I am not a fan of thumpa thumpa bass under my bedroom and breaking bottles in the alley at 2am, and if it were me I would seriously consider looking into other options. Management staff who handle themselves and their communications in a professional way in the context of the rental process would probably tend to manage the complex in the same way. What you have described would have all my "buyer beware" red flags waving vigorously...

lhamo
+1
Old 11-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
Its funny, I must come across on the web as a man because most people seem to automatically refer to me as a he. .
I get the same reaction in other on-line forums, where I don't use a feminine avatar or handle, as I do here. I don't know what causes this; maybe there is still an assumption that people who post on-line are mostly male?

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamo View Post

lhamo
+1 - I also agree that when conducting business, there should be a modicum of formality...I'm a bit old-fashioned, but I always reply formally (Mr, Ms so-and-so) before moving to informal. When you travel worldwide, you find that most cultures are not as informal as the American culture. Formality can also convey that you are not "buds -dudes, etc" and that there is such a thing as 'too much information.'

I was intrigued by Nords approach, however, I would be much more uncomfortable. As you say you will be there for 15 months, it would be a shame if your were miserable or had to deal with management 'headaches' during that time.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #71

I would be sorely tempted to forward this conversational synopsis to the general manager, with a note that I was looking elsewhere as I had serious qualms about the professional ability of their staff. If they can't handle these simple details, how will they be in other more important areas? Security? Maintenance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
They all 3 reply from one email address: mailbox@apartment.com

The problem was that I had been having an ongoing conversation on Wednesday with one of the 3 about hooking up cable and was continued it an hour or so later only to get a reply which consisted of

"huh" nothing more nothing less.

I then wrote back "what do you mean "huh""?

and they wrote me back "I don't know what u talking about" still not signing their name.

I then explained that "I was wanting to know if you found out the answer to the cable question"

to which they replied "dont know about that" still not saying who it was or why they did not know about it.

I then asked "well when do you think you will find out"?

to which they replied "find out what"?

I sent back another email saying "when will you find out how far in advance I need to call to set up cable/internet"?

and they said "oh you need to talk to ____ about that"

I wrote back "I thought that is who I was talking to"

I get "nope, she left" (and I still have no idea who I have been corresponding with)

Haha, I know you jest, but should you wish to come visit in about 14 months, I will be glad to show you around.
I live in Polanco.

BTW, I am a woman, not a man and I have no fear of the Opera!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I would be sorely tempted to forward this conversational synopsis to the general manager...
thk u 4 ur txt IL look n 2 it

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
Well, I aint even axing what de lowist comen denumerator be for what U would be finally like "this isn't so gr8 as I 1st imagined"

Also, remember that there are more people speaking English as a second/third/fourth language than those who speak it as their native/only tongue. I've heard that English can be very difficult to learn, given the (relative) many nuances and inconsistencies with pronunciations. Adding in things like "hope 2 C U soon" can be even more of an obstacle for communication, whether a true barrier for non-native speakers, or even just very irritating for those who expect proper usage (or, as the case is more and more, just even an attempt at proper usage).

And I sure hope that if someone ends with "hope to C U soon", as they type with 2 fingers and look for the "C", hopefully they don't accidentally mistype by one key, considering that the "F" key is right by the C key, given the lack of proofreading that many people use in business communication...
(Hope this was not too difficult to decipher...)
But great point about these extreme phonetic abbreviations being a barrier to communication with people from another country.
boatfishandnature is offline   Reply With Quote