Join Early Retirement Today

What is your favorite Christmas gag gift...
Old 12-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
gone traveling

What is your favorite Christmas gag gift...

...giving or receiving?

Giving a gag gift a year has always been a tradition in our family. We have a small sock monkey that has been getting wrapped and re-gifted for over 30years. Sometimes it's in an expensive-looking box, sometimes it's inside another gift, like a purse... kids, adults, no one is immune. It's always fun to watch somone unwrap it.

In addition, we always try to come up with something new that doesn't get carried over from year to year. This year, I'm wrapping the landscape light DW ran over... twice... once backing out of the driveway, the second time when she pulled forward to check out the "crunching noise" ...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

10 years ago I bought 3 cheapie fruit cakes (8"x2"x2")--wrote on them that we'd pass them around for 10 years, and then I'd eat one. So they're covered with 'to & from' tags and are the family gag gift. Daughter is trying to hold me to eating one, but they've been frozen and unfrozen so many times I'm a little scared. Grandkids are 3 & 4 1/2, and although not gag gifts, I bought some fake barf & fake pet poop, and am going to see if I can have some fun with that.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Back when I used to w*rk, we had gag-gift x-mas gift exchange. One gift that got passed back and forth and around was a set of cow horns mounted on a leather skull cap (making sort of a Hagar the Horrible look). I think the thing stayed around in various offices for over 10 years. It was always a show stopper.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One year we gave one of my bosses a small jar with a cork opening that said "Ashes of Troublesome Employees". He seems eerily and inordinately fond of it.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Not a gag gift by the giver. My sis-in-law has always tried to get me something golf related. Several years ago she gave me one of these for Christmas. I admit, it was a nice touch for decorating one of my closets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golfbag-sport-novelty-lamp_58.jpg (42.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Dawg's SIL wins.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #7

One year when we were 'less than effluent affluent', I gave DW two presents. Both were boxes (actually 2 pieces of wood joined by a hinge), no cavity. On one the top said "For the Woman who has Everything", open it and find no hole but writing which says "Nothing". The other was similar, the top said "For the Woman who has nothing", open it and it says "a place to keep it".
Old 12-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Years ago I hit a deer about two weeks before Christmas . My daughter was convinced that I had killed Rudolph and Christmas was cancelled . A week or so later I had to drop her off at my Ex's Christmas party . When I arrived he immediately gave me a large glass of wine & then a large white box with a red ribbon . I opened it and there were the antler's of my deer mounted on a board .I have to say I was amused .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
One year when we were 'less than effluent affluent', I gave DW two presents. Both were boxes (actually 2 pieces of wood joined by a hinge), no cavity. On one the top said "For the Woman who has Everything", open it and find no hole but writing which says "Nothing". The other was similar, the top said "For the Woman who has nothing", open it and it says "a place to keep it".
Very sweet. It reminds me a bit of my favorite Christmas story of all time, O. Henry's "The Gift of the Magi". I tear up just thinking about it.
My favorite Christmas present from my husband was a little basket he wove from a kit when my son was small. Sonny was supposed to weave it and give it to me but he never got around to it (too busy playing video games) so Hubby did.
And I agree with Martha...Dawg's golf whatever it is certainly takes the cake! I'll bet it brightens up the closet.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I don't like to gag.

(sorry WS, that's all I've got right now)
Old 12-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
And I agree with Martha...Dawg's golf whatever it is certainly takes the cake! I'll bet it brightens up the closet.
It did for a couple of years. Now taking up space at the local landfill.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Years ago, my mom gave DH and me a giant, inflatable Gozdilla thingy for a gag gift. I know, weird, but we had so much fun with it! We inflated the thing and put it in the front yard. Wish you could have seen the looks on the neighbor’s faces. It just so blended into our conservative neighborhood with all the traditional holiday decorations...not!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The remotely controlled fart machine I gave my nephew and niece one year was a big hit.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I tried not to laugh, but I couldn't help myself...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

You people have a lot more courage than I do. I would never give a gag gift, to anyone, least of all to a lover. IMO, there is enough danger in life without looking for more.

Ha
Old 12-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You people have a lot more courage than I do. I would never give a gag gift, to anyone, least of all to a lover. IMO, there is enough danger in life without looking for more.

Ha
Live dangerously Ha. Have some fun. Give a gag gift, even if it is to a lover lady. You know one thing most women love about men? A sense of humor. Oh, but the way, it never hurts if the guy can tango too
Old 12-21-2010, 06:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The remotely controlled fart machine I gave my nephew and niece one year was a big hit.

Excellent! You have one quirky sense of humor :-)