What is your favorite rock music decade?

For me, about 1965-1978, a little more than a decade! I liked a lot of "folk rock" but oh how I loved David Clayton Thomas! (Sadly, BST is completely reformed now and the lead singer pretty awful.) Love this Laura Nyro song:
[/QUOTE

Thank you! BST was missing from my music library, not any more.

having been lucky enough to see The Beatles live at the Hollywood Bowl there was never going to be any way to get me out of the 60,s. I am still there, I just bought the deluxe Sgt Pepper album and for those interested it is so much better than the original. Researching them became a hobby I have ben doing for about 10 years. It is a lot of fun. It really is better than what you have been listening to all these years...I could start a topic just on them....sorry to go off topic but I really do love that era and band.

having been lucky enough to see The Beatles live at the Hollywood Bowl there was never going to be any way to get me out of the 60,s. I am still there, I just bought the deluxe Sgt Pepper album and for those interested it is so much better than the original. Researching them became a hobby I have ben doing for about 10 years. It is a lot of fun. It really is better than what you have been listening to all these years...I could start a topic just on them....sorry to go off topic but I really do love that era and band.[/QUOTE

+1 on the 50th Anniversary of Sgt Pepper. Fresh Air had an interview of Giles Martin, son of George Martin (who did the original production). Giles did the remix on the 50th, and the interview provided a lot of info. It's a can't miss for Beatles geeks :)

Regarding the Hollywood Bowl concert, I hope seeing it live was better than the recording that survived. Was excited when Ron Howard's documentary came out and bought the CD. Too much crowd noise for me to listen to more than once. Great that moment in time was captured, though, don't think we'll ever see that kind of thing again.

Last edited:
Early 2000s I recall eldest daughter being incredulous that I knew Lenny Kravitz' AMERICAN WOMAN and could speak to her "intelligently" about it. I think she was kind of disappointed when I played her the original by the Guess Who from 1970. I'm sure she felt like she had been betrayed by HER generation of "heroes." Still, it was a good bonding time for us.

Ah, this resonates with me. My eldest, now in his early 30's, was amazed that I could sing-along with Harry Nilson's 'Lime in the Coconut', word for word and accent for accent. He was under the impression this was 'new stuff', he was around 15 at the time! :cool:

Flagator, you are absolutely correct, I couldn't hear a damn thing! I was in the second to last row and other than screaming I would hear a few comments between songs. What it did do to me was make me a 60's geek. I went to just about every concert in LA and San Fran for 10 years. Just about any band you can think of from the 60's I probably saw them live. I have all those memories and wouldn't give them up for anything. I will admit the Pink Floyd concerts are a little hazy........

Flagator, you are absolutely correct, I couldn't hear a damn thing! I was in the second to last row and other than screaming I would hear a few comments between songs. What it did do to me was make me a 60's geek. I went to just about every concert in LA and San Fran for 10 years. Just about any band you can think of from the 60's I probably saw them live. I have all those memories and wouldn't give them up for anything. I will admit the Pink Floyd concerts are a little hazy........

Purple hazy?

Early 2000s I recall eldest daughter being incredulous that I knew Lenny Kravitz' AMERICAN WOMAN and could speak to her "intelligently" about it. I think she was kind of disappointed when I played her the original by the Guess Who from 1970. I'm sure she felt like she had been betrayed by HER generation of "heroes." Still, it was a good bonding time for us.

Oddly, youngest daughter ONLY liked 60s/70s oldies and country. Go figure.

A few years ago DW and I took one of our sons and his girlfriend to a Chicago/Earth Wind & Fire concert (Two of my all time favorites bands, I am SO HAPPY they have toured together many times). On the way I was playing songs from both groups and the popular comment was "they did that song? I didn't know it was so old!" :) A lot of the songs they had heard snatches of, sampled in the songs they grew up on. They absolutely loved the show. So much that the next time the 2 groups toured together again in our area, I treated them and 4 more of their friends to the concert. We had a lot of fun watching them going crazy dancing in their seats.

Does anyone else like tribute bands? We've seen some great tribute band concerts over the past year. Last night we saw The Boys of Summer (Eagles / Don Henley) and they were really good.

Last edited:
Does anyone else like tribute bands? We've seen some great tribute band concerts over the past year. Last night we saw The Boys of Summer (Eagles / Don Henley) and they were really good.
Going to a tribute band concert for decades-old bands is better in most ways than going to see "the real band" play now, for a lot of reasons. You can actually see and hear the live performers (rather than watch from a distance and end-up watching the jumbo-tron). The tribute band plays it like you remember it (I saw a "YES" concert on tv where they were all sitting down and played songs at half speed...horrific!). The venues are smaller (I have found that large venues treat guests like criminals, not guests). The audience members are all there to appreciate the music (rather than people who want to brag that they say some band live before "X" performer died). And who you see when you go see "the band" is often just one original guy playing the band's songs, along with a bunch of random musicians that were rounded-up for the tour.

^^

I agree with the above. Those who go to see tribute bands go to hear the music. That being said, the current version of Foreigner is either Mick Jones (the only founding member left) plus other musicians, or 100% other musicians when Mick Jones doesn't play with them due to his health issues.

I tried out for a Tom Petty tribute band last week (on bass). Unfortunately, they went with someone else.

Was "channeling" THE BIG CHILL this morning but I couldn't find a YouTube clip in which ("Harold" - Kevin Kline) said "There is no other music. Not in my house." in response to a snide comment about 60's music. Can't argue with him.

I think the line was right before the "kitchen clean-up" dance routine. YMMV

Last night went to Austin to see The Marshall Tucker Band... great show. Only 1 original member (lead singer Doug Gray), but that's to be expected with a band whose first hit was in the early 70's.
Since retirement at the end of 2013, DW and I have been able to go to a lot of concerts we never went to while w*rking. One of the main reasons we're enjoying them is that quite a few of the older artists are not playing stadiums but are playing smaller venues (to their much older fan base). We enjoy the smaller crowds vs the mayhem at the bigger shows. Last night we were probably 15 feet from the stage in a venue that holds about 200 people. Tickets were pricy, but worth it to enjoy with a small crowd.
Since early 2014, we're enjoyed shows by:
Doobie Brothers
Don Felder
Jimmy Buffet
Elvis Costello
Steely Dan
Drive By Truckers
Alabama Shakes
Yes
Toto
Jerry Jeff Walker
Joe Bonamasa
Rolling Stones
Paul Simon
Gordon Lightfoot (DW worried he wouldn't live through the show)
Lyle Lovett
Kris Kristofferson, BB King, Bonnie Raitt (ACL Hall of Fame induction)
Heart
The Guess Who
Blood Sweat & Tears
Kenny Wayne Shepard/Stephen Stills
Brian Wilson
The Marshall Tucker Band

a lot of fun...next up is Styx/REO Speedwagon/Don Felder (again) and later Donald Fagen solo tour.

Last edited:
One of the main reasons we're enjoying them is that quite a few of the older artists are not playing stadiums but are playing smaller venues (to their much older fan base). We enjoy the smaller crowds vs the mayhem at the bigger shows. Last night we were probably 15 feet from the stage in a venue that holds about 200 people.

We've also been more interested in the smaller venues. We saw The Fixx last year at a club that holds around 500 people and were able to stand pretty close to the stage. We were surprised at how many younger people were in the crowd. And they knew the lyrics to sing along so they weren't just stopping by - they were real fans.

Thought of a funny thing regarding this thread.

Anyone see the irony in how many on the early retirement board want to still go see the concerts of the bands, which have many members age at least 60's if not into 70's, that are still working :rolleyes: :confused: :facepalm:

Thought of a funny thing regarding this thread.

Anyone see the irony in how many on the early retirement board want to still go see the concerts of the bands, which have many members age at least 60's if not into 70's, that are still working :rolleyes: :confused: :facepalm:

But then I didn't have a job where crowds of people paid to see me, applauded me every 5 minutes and gave me a standing ovation at the end of my work day. :)

We saw Alice Cooper (born in 1948!) last year. Alice is still rocking it and seemed to have a big fan base - even a younger crowd. Quite a few of the concert goers were dressed up like characters in his show. The crowds are probably down from his hey day but he had a 2,000 seat venue packed.

Back
Top Bottom