Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Favorite Sipping Liquor (Neat Not Mixed with Anything Except Ice)
Bourbon Whiskey 66 28.95%
Scotch Whiskey 52 22.81%
Irish Whiskey 9 3.95%
Canadian Whiskey 7 3.07%
Japanese Whiskey 1 0.44%
Moonshine 1 0.44%
Gin 5 2.19%
Vodka 5 2.19%
Brandy / Congnac 26 11.40%
Rum 13 5.70%
Tequila 16 7.02%
I am boring and do not drink Liquor 39 17.11%
Other (Please specify in Post) 21 9.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2021, 09:06 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

St Remy VSOP Brandy if I'm buying. Glen Livet 12 YO Scotch if you're buying
DW enjoys a fireball on occasion
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2021, 09:12 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Not a surprise to me. Seems to be a tradition here to jump into a thread about something one has no interest in, to state that they have no interest. More than a couple of people posted in the YTTV ESPN thread just to tell us they don't watch ESPN anymore. And you can almost always count on a post in a travel thread telling us they don't travel because they don't like it. Why they do this, I don't know. Kind of annoying.
But the poll actually has an option titled, "I am boring and do not drink Liquor".
Surely that option would not be there if input from non-drinkers was not welcomed or required?

(I did not vote in that category, incidentally.)

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:43 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Favorite cocktail of all time is an Old Fashioned at Isnala on Lake Delton.
YES!!! I have been to Ishnala, and I love it, too. I went to the bar to buy drinks, and my wife's girlfriend, having ordered a Manhattan, told me that I should specify "a whiskey Manhattan." I nodded but inwardly scoffed at her. When I got to the bar and made my order, the 'tender asked me "Brandy or whiskey"? I brought the drink back to our friend with my tail between my legs.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:45 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
I live in Wisconsin. I am legally required to drink unhealthy amounts of cheap brandy.
Oh, dang it! I just had to have another portion of statutorily mandated liquor. I hate when that happens.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:58 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bevmo was out of Don Julio 1942. Whatever should I do? Can't leave empty handed eh?

Cincoro Anejo was there for the same price, in the same impressive tall bottle. Now cracked.

Really good tequilas are sorta like cognac. Don't even taste like tequila.

This stuff is velvet smooth and tastes like vanilla. I don't know how they do this.

But I like it -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:56 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned Cachaca.

From Wiki:

Cachaça is a distilled spirit made from fermented sugarcane juice. Also known as pinga, caninha, and other names, it is the most popular spirit among distilled alcoholic beverages in Brazil. Wikipedia

Cachaca is very popular in Brazil and for a few years prior to FIRE I traveled to Brazil quarterly where I grew to really enjoy it in a drink called a Caipirinha.

What's the difference between Cachaça and rum then? Rum is made from fermented sugarcane juice.

A Web search found the answer:

Quote:
Unlike rum, cachaça can only be produced from freshly pressed sugarcane juice. It can only be made from Brazilian-grown sugarcane, and distillers typically use varietals that are indigenous to the country...

Like rum, cachaça can be bottled and sold both aged and unaged. However, the two spirits are generally aged in different types of barrels. Rums are aged in oak casks, which are often second-fill barrels that once held either bourbon or sherry (much like scotch producers reuse barrels). When cachaça is barrel-aged, it is aged in casks made from hardwoods indigenous to Brazil.
Sounds like another bottle I can add to my cabinet, if I can clear a spot.
[/QUOTE]

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:36 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Yes and no. In the US, rye must be at least 51% rye. In Canada, no such rule so Canadian whiskey could have a lot of rye or just a little or even none.

As for US ryes we really like Sagamore Double Oak out of Baltimore and Dad’s Hat out of Bristol, PA. When you can find it EH Taylor is also very good. It’s just pricier and not readily available.
Thanks...

Glad someone pointed that out. I used to drink CC as I didn't know the difference. Finally decided to try some other Rye's and was blown away by the taste.
Now I cannot stand CC
I really enjoy: Bulleit 95 (as it's 95% rye) much more flavor.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:39 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We were on a Carnival cruise , and they had a scottish whiskey tasting for free.

I got to try ~12 different Scottish Whiskey's, including one that cost over $300/bottle.

I found out I don't like Scottish Whiskey, so it was a great way to find out.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:54 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Hehe, yeah, it's a unique taste. Malt (sprout) the barley, then dry it over peat fire. Then ferment and distill.

Kinda like tequila and mezcal. Roast the agaves vs smoke the pinas
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:18 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Let's see, 90 posts and over 2000 views of this "Liquor" sipping thread in less than two days... Now I understand why I read a lot of the things I read on this forum.

Maybe I should cut back on my sipping...
Old 12-22-2021, 06:56 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
But the poll actually has an option titled, "I am boring and do not drink Liquor".
Surely that option would not be there if input from non-drinkers was not welcomed or required?

(I did not vote in that category, incidentally.)
I can't say why the OP included it, but I'd guess it's because people whine if they don't have an option that fits them.

My puzzlement is why a non-drinker would even open this thread, or a non-XYZ would open a thread about XYZ, must less post in it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:02 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I can't say why the OP included it, but I'd guess it's because people whine if they don't have an option that fits them.

My puzzlement is why a non-drinker would even open this thread, or a non-XYZ would open a thread about XYZ, must less post in it.
The teetotalers are curious to see what the drunks are babbling about.

No harm there.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-22-2021, 07:20 AM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
YES!!! I have been to Ishnala, and I love it, too.

Ishnala broke the world record this year for Old Fashioneds served, which is pretty amazing since it's only open seasonally. DW and I contributed four consumed drinks to the cause. The Brandy Old Fashioneds are made with Wollersheim Press House Brandy, which is my sipping brandy in the liquor cabinet.
Trailwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:36 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Here's another thing about my declining palate. Years ago, I tried different gins, and found that I preferred Bombay Sapphire by far. Never a picky eater or drinker, but I strongly found some other gins not to my taste. For gin, I drank Bombay Sapphire exclusively.

Recently, I tried again out of curiosity. Dang, I guess I am easier to please now. It doesn't matter anymore.

I will not switch to moonshine to save money, but to say that I can still appreciate the fine flavor of different drinks is lying to myself.

Old 12-22-2021, 01:42 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Just to give a glimpse into our world, here's a current photo of our bar. There are a few random bottles that don't currently fit in there but this is the bulk of it. If you can't tell, the shelves are 3 deep.

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon on the top shelf (where it belongs). I’ve looked for this frequently and NEVER have seen a bottle in person. Congratulations on the find…
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Minus View Post
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon on the top shelf (where it belongs). I’ve looked for this frequently and NEVER have seen a bottle in person. Congratulations on the find…
Yep. And the bottle behind it is a Four Roses Limited Edition 2019, also a unicorn.

We got them both in a lottery at one of our local stores where we belong to their Whiskey club. Won the right to buy each of them at the same event. At a more recent lottery there, we got a bottle of Orphan Barrel Copper Tongue. We were just at a lottery event there last week but came up empty at that one, which is fine because we really didn't need to be buying more right now.
disneysteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:55 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Minus View Post
Not a whisky drinker, but I had to look it up. At $2000 a bottle, I have not and will not buy anything like that.

I used to think that for my 65th BD, I will spring for a Louis XIII bottle. When the time came, I chickened out. My wife said, "There's no point as you won't be able to tell the difference".

Old 12-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Not a whisky drinker, but I had to look it up. At $2000 a bottle, I have not and will not buy anything like that.
Nor would we. The benefit of lotteries is that the price is typically retail or close to it. We paid $150 for the Birthday bourbon and $100 for the Four Roses.
disneysteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #99

I will show you my collection of single malts. It is an acquired taste. I worked in Scotland, and the water tasted so bad I had to learn to drink whisky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scotch.JPG (520.6 KB, 25 views)
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:12 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I will show you my collection of single malts. It is an acquired taste. I worked in Scotland, and the water tasted so bad I had to learn to drink whisky.
I would rather drink beer if the water was bad. Doing that with whisky would cause me alcohol poisoning.