Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Favorite Sipping Liquor (Neat Not Mixed with Anything Except Ice)
Bourbon Whiskey 66 28.95%
Scotch Whiskey 52 22.81%
Irish Whiskey 9 3.95%
Canadian Whiskey 7 3.07%
Japanese Whiskey 1 0.44%
Moonshine 1 0.44%
Gin 5 2.19%
Vodka 5 2.19%
Brandy / Congnac 26 11.40%
Rum 13 5.70%
Tequila 16 7.02%
I am boring and do not drink Liquor 39 17.11%
Other (Please specify in Post) 21 9.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2021, 03:02 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Total Wine has that Highland Park 25 Years for $900. The Highland Park 18 Years is $168. The Highland Park 12 Years is $58.

Not a whisky drinker, but I would want to compare the above bottles to see the difference.
When's the party? I'm in!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2021, 03:28 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A comparison between bottles of different ages from the same maker is best. It shows you the effect of aging, if you can tell the difference, and if the difference is worth the money.

As mentioned earlier, my brothers and I did just that one year with 3 bottles of Cognac from the same maker. And the consensus was that the XO was of course the best, but the VSOP was close, and we might not notice if not doing an A/B test.

When comparing different makers, the individual different tastes come in, and this is more subjective.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 03:30 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
When's the party? I'm in!
I would need to take a collection to buy that $900 bottle. I can fund the lesser bottles myself.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #164
Full time employment: Posting here.

Scottish whisky tends to (big generalization) use more of the cheaper Exbourbon barrel matured spirit in the younger bottles and more ex sherry in the older. So the taste profile is different.

All part of the fun

Like most things 70% of the experience can be achieved at 30% of the cost of the high end
captain3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 03:38 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would need to take a collection to buy that $900 bottle. I can fund the lesser bottles myself.
Maybe when I am on my deathbed, I could spring for such a prize. BUT ONLY so I could tell the guy with the horns that I did.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:18 PM   #166

Quote:
A comparison between bottles of different ages from the same maker is best.
That depends on what the goal of the tasting is.

You could want to compare different ages of the same product.
You could want to compare different iterations of the same product (cask strength, secondary finishes, etc.).
You could want to compare different products from the same distillery (same mashbill but different production or aging process).
You could want to compare similar products from different distilleries (wheated bourbons, bottled in bond bourbons, etc.).

It's all good. There's no wrong way to enjoy good whiskey.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 04:56 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Maybe when I am on my deathbed, I could spring for such a prize. BUT ONLY so I could tell the guy with the horns that I did.

On the average, my option selling in a single trading day gets me more than enough to buy such a bottle. And the option selling is extracurricular to the gain I get from conventional buy-and-hold activity.

I am not bragging, because I am sure you and others can also easily buy this $900 bottle. But we do not allow ourselves this indulgence. Why?

I cannot explain it. Perhaps I don't care that much about an alcohol drink? Perhaps I am afraid that it will be a let down, that it is not that good? Then, I would ponder if it is really me who suffers from "pearl before swine"?

Somehow, spending that much for a bottle just does not feel right for me. If I had $100M, would I then buy one of each of the most expensive bottles from all makers, just to check them all out. Can a guy do that, to commit that much time to just sampling spirits? Will he have time left to do anything else in his life?

See how you cannot be greedy and try to check out every pleasure in this world. You just don't have the time, even if you have the money.

Old 12-28-2021, 04:59 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
That depends on what the goal of the tasting is.

You could want to compare different ages of the same product.
You could want to compare different iterations of the same product (cask strength, secondary finishes, etc.).
You could want to compare different products from the same distillery (same mashbill but different production or aging process).
You could want to compare similar products from different distilleries (wheated bourbons, bottled in bond bourbons, etc.).

It's all good. There's no wrong way to enjoy good whiskey.

One needs a finer palate than the one I have now.

Maybe mine was not defective at birth, but I have ruined it with spicy food.

Old 12-28-2021, 05:02 PM   #169

The trick to buying a $2500 whisky is to have a $2000 car [emoji3]
Old 12-28-2021, 05:05 PM   #170

Quote:
I am not bragging, because I am sure you and others can also easily buy this $900 bottle. But we do not allow ourselves this indulgence. Why?

I cannot explain it. Perhaps I don't care that much about an alcohol drink? Perhaps I am afraid that it will be a let down, that it is not that good? Then, I would ponder if it is really me who suffers from "pearl before swine"?

Somehow, spending that much for a bottle just does not feel right for me.
I agree with the bolded statement. Could we afford a $900 bottle? Sure if we chose to do so. Neither of us feel that's a reasonable amount to spend on a bottle. I can't believe I would think it was 9 times better than a $100 bottle. I'd rather have 9 of those.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:08 PM   #171

Quote:
One needs a finer palate than the one I have now.
Perhaps.

I've learned over time that I like wheated bourbons, so the challenge became to find which one I liked most and at a reasonable price for a readily available product.

Initially, I landed on Weller Antique 107. It was about $25/bottle, so reasonable. However not readily available, or at least not in NJ (but much more common in Ohio or Texas). After a few years, they hiked the price. MSRP is now $50 and good luck finding it for less than $70 if you can find it at all. I'd pay $50, but I won't pay $70 and definitely not more than that. It isn't worth that to me. So I've been exploring other wheaters to find another that I liked. I've done a few side by side blind tastings to narrow it down.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:11 PM   #172

Is a $90,000 car ten times better than a $9000 car? No. It doesn’t really work like that in any field.

There is a real cost to getting a whisky to that old age of course. But the experience is more like twice as good but also the only way to get the experience where age is concerned.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:17 PM   #173

Also we want to drink something really good but rarely. There is no benefit to drinking 10 bottles in the same time it takes to drink one expensive bottle - health.

Like any budget it can be spent many ways. Our health budget + $ budget = $300 bottle approx
Old 12-28-2021, 05:17 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain3d View Post
Is a $90,000 car ten times better than a $9000 car? No. It doesn’t really work like that in any field.

There is a real cost to getting a whisky to that old age of course. But the experience is more like twice as good but also the only way to get the experience where age is concerned.
Fair point about the car, but I wouldn't buy a 90K car either. At a certain point, there's a diminishing return.

As for old age whiskey, that's not always a good thing. I don't mind a bit of oakiness but I don't like when it tastes heavily oaked, as very aged juice sometimes does. Don't get me wrong. I'd happily taste it, but I wouldn't blindly buy a bottle of it having never sampled it.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:44 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain3d View Post

But is a $25,000 car 10 times better than a $2,500 car? I would venture to say yes, for the most part. For one thing it is probably 10 years newer with much better safety features.

At some point, you do hit the point of diminishing returns, but on the low end things can be different.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:44 PM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

DW got me a bottle of Glenfiddich 21 YO for my 60th a few years ago. It will be opened on the 6 May for my last official day ( non working) before my vocational freedom commences.
Jim59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 06:19 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
At some point, you do hit the point of diminishing returns, but on the low end things can be different.
Very true. I've said that for years. There is a huge difference between super cheap liquor and good liquor. There is a much smaller difference between good liquor and "premium" liquor. At some point, it's more about personal preferences and status.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:55 PM   #178

Quote:
Again, count me in! More than glad to BTD in a group of folks wanting to pay for a possible great experience. YMMV I have funded friends/acquaintances who entered into spirit lotteries for a chance to taste the best.

I do prefer the Wellers Special Reserve (80 proof) over the Wellers 107 (107 proof), but enjoy Woodford over Buffalo Trace. Eagle Rare is on parity with George Stagg, in my book.

But I do relish a good rye whiskey now and then.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:00 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I do prefer the Wellers Special Reserve (80 proof) over the Wellers 107 (107 proof)
I've never had SR. I do prefer 107 to Full Proof though despite typically preferring higher proofs. I've also never had CYPB.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:41 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Perhaps, but often less entertaining. [emoji3]
Very few good stories start "We were sitting around eating a salad when..."