Join Early Retirement Today

what is your opinion of mad money?
Old 03-12-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what is your opinion of mad money?

I live in the midwest and some of the people I know watch the mad money show on cnbc. I was wondering what your opinion was of the show and his financial advice?
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #2

No comment on the financial advice 'cause I can't stand to watch. Cramer's voice affects me like Dick Vitale's. At least with basketball games I can just turn down the sound.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

You can see the results of his previous advice here...

TrackJimCramer's Stock Picks

According to the above about 45% of his picks are correct.

He's picked so many thousands of stocks in the past, he's probably done something on most of the listed stocks out there. He would be getting 50% if he just made a random up/down pick on all of them.
niknah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknah View Post
According to the above about 45% of his picks are correct.
Sounds horrible. But in reality, traders don't need to be right half the time to make money. It's not something I really recommend (much less do), but if one has a strategy to let their winners run, using trailing stops to protect much of the gains, and put stop losses on the losers to prevent them from going really toxic, you can make money even you're only right, say, 40% of the time. The key is that your winners have to gain more than your losers lose.

Having said that, Cramer really needs to put down the Red Bull and walk away from it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #5

Fun show. Dangerous advice. Tie yourself to the mast before indulging.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I was wondering what your opinion was of the show and his financial advice?
I also believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and other such myths (what does that tell you )...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I live in the midwest and some of the people I know watch the mad money show on cnbc. I was wondering what your opinion was of the show and his financial advice?
The show is great entertainment. I watch it sometimes. Cramer is an appealing and engaging personality.

However, I would never, ever suggest following his financial advice. So, if you find yourself thinking of actually acting on what he says, I'd suggest changing the channel and never watching him again.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

He's screaming all the way to the bank. I wonder if he'd have a show if he had the same content without the schtick, because it's really the content that would be important.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #9

I have never watched this show.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #10

I thought he was a nutjob before I really watched his show. Then decided to give it a try. One thing he does is invite a lot of CEO's onto his show and I think this part really helps. He also gives recommendations on some IPO's which is hard to get. He also admits when he makes mistakes, which a lot of critics claim he doesn't do. I've followed a few of his tips and he's been a bit backer of Apple stock and he's been doing well on that one. He also has good dividend generating stocks that he recommends. If you try out his newsletter (you have to pay for it, 30 day free trial), you'll notice his show isn't tied too heavily to it, since you're not paying a premium for the TV show. I still download the show to watch it, but like he always recommends, you still need to do your own homework. I'm sue there's plenty of people that just buy on his word w/o doing any homework at all.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
at least Dick Vitale dresses up in women's panties. Can we say that about Cramer?

Ha
Not sure about panties, but he has been known to wear other crazy outfits on his show.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Not sure about panties, but he has been known to wear other crazy outfits on his show.
Whoops, my memory was bad. That was Marv Albert, another voice of basketball.

Marv Albert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #13

However, Cramer does have a pretty impressive track record when you read his background--despite the recent "disappointments" from him.
But, like everyone else almost, his screaming and antics actually wear me down just listening to him. I have too good of hearing, and he actually stresses me out.
My son, however, who has hearing deficits loves him. Maybe it's just a matter of how good your hearing is = your ability to listen to his song and dance?
Old 03-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Entertaining to watch from time to time. I probably tune in, oh, maybe 1.5 hours per week in the winter. Much less during the midwest "outdoor seasons."
Old 03-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I can't watch him.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't watch Jim Cramer. He's a buffoon. The only show on CNBC worth watching is Squawk Box, starting at 6:00 a.m. They've usually got some really interesting guests, and I enjoy the trio of Becky, Carl and Joe.
ladypatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

One piece of value that can be gotten from "Mad Money" is a hint as to what many small investors may do in the near-term. A mention of a stock by Cramer generally causes some short-term activity in it. But I've learned not to invest in what he recommends unless I follow its movement for a long time (where long is measured in many months). It seems to me that investing in individual stocks is mostly a matter of patience, not frantic trading.
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
A mention of a stock by Cramer generally causes some short-term activity in it. But I've learned not to invest in what he recommends unless I follow its movement for a long time.
I don't invest in anything recommended by anybody, not just Cramer, without following and researching the investment myself.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

It is purely entertainment---NOT investment advice to be taken by someone who is serious about managing their money.
Sconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #20

Fun Show. Never knowingly bought any of his recommendations. I like his advice on taking small positions (averaging in) and out of stocks and on taking profits. I like to listen to his ideas and see whether or not they hold water in my view. I think he does a great job of entertainment, every once in a while he hits a home run. I especially liked his CEO wall of shame bit he did last year.