Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-26-2023, 11:04 PM   #2181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My newest pet peeve is being wished a "Happy Memorial Day". I don't view a day set aside to honor those who gave their lives in service to our country as a "happy" day, which implies something to be celebrated.

Whether you agree or not, get off my lawn...
I agree, and I don't think 90% of people over 40 even know what memorial day is about, roughly when it was instituted, and how it was originally designed to be celebrated.

Get off my lawn, too.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2023, 09:03 AM   #2182
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I agree, and I don't think 90% of people over 40 even know what memorial day is about, roughly when it was instituted, and how it was originally designed to be celebrated.

Get off my lawn, too.

The same reason as Christmas and Easter. To sell people stuff. Right?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 02:12 PM   #2183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The same reason as Christmas and Easter. To sell people stuff. Right?
Sadly, yes.

I wish they still taught such things as national holidays in school.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 04:04 AM   #2184
Give me a forum ...

I wish people a "Meaningful Memorial Day". I hope that's OK. It is what it means to me. Anyone remember it being called "Decoration Day?" That's what I grew up with.

I have an expired pet peeve regarding Memorial Day: ignoring it. When I moved to NC, I was astounded to find how many people ignored the holiday. Some school districts still had school on Memorial Day!

I discovered that this is due to the roots of the holiday being a tribute to fallen soldiers during the Civil War. Some states emphasized a different day that people called Confederate Memorial Day. I think in NC that was May 10.

Anyway, this pet peeve has thankfully expired!

It wasn't long after I arrived in NC in the 1980s, that this pretty much ended, and the National Holiday date was observed.

Basically, what I witnessed was the end of a backlash of the civil rights era where some people just wanted to be a pain.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 05:21 AM   #2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I discovered that this is due to the roots of the holiday being a tribute to fallen soldiers during the Civil War.
Some background:
Memorial Day is an American holiday, observed on the last Monday of May, honoring the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military.

And an interesting sidelight:
One of the Earliest Memorial Day Ceremonies Was Held by Freed African Americans

We should all take a moment today to reflect on the brave individuals who gave everything they had for our benefit.
Attached Images
File Type: png Image.png (912.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-29-2023, 09:57 AM   #2186
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve for today are those businesses that send out emails to celebrate our veterans on Memorial Day. They just use it for another marketing ploy without understanding what the day means.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 10:16 AM   #2187
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingForward View Post
That's beyond obnoxious, but I'm not surprised. Most people don't stop to think (or care) what Memorial Day represents: a solemn day to remember those who sacrificed so much. Many idiots in my area set those things off regularly, no matter what holiday - or no holiday at all. They're probably the same morons revving up their illegally tricked out cars and muffler-less motorcycles I have to hear at all hours of the day and night.

I genuinely fail to understand the fascination with earsplitting noise in this society. Even when I was a little kid, I always hated it.
+1000

Fireworks on Memorial Day weekend is one of my biggest yearly pet peeves. It's utterly mind boggling how little people know—or care—about what certain holidays actually represent. Today's prevailing attitude seems to be "Hey, it's a long weekend and I don't have to work, so let's get drunk and shoot off some fireworks! Yee haw!"
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 10:21 AM   #2188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
My pet peeve for today are those businesses that send out emails to celebrate our veterans on Memorial Day. They just use it for another marketing ploy without understanding what the day means.
Totally agree, but it gets even worse than that. A few days ago I saw a huge billboard while driving along the highway (one of those electronic kinds) with a fancy, patriotic looking graphic that said something like "We honor our fallen heroes on this Memorial Day weekend" etc. etc. And the advertiser was... an ambulance-chasing "personal injury" law firm! Nauseating.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 12:49 PM   #2189
Recycles dryer sheets

We lifted glasses yesterday to toast at a bbq, and someone said "Happy Memorial Day." to wit, I responded, "remember those who have fallen."
Kings over Queens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 12:51 PM   #2190
Recycles dryer sheets

My pet peeve today, well, it's actually a long standing one...cold cuts from the deli. Nobody know how to slice them, or layer them properly, nor how to seal the bag. The butcher treats a $9.99 per pound steak better than the deli guy treats a $9.99 per pound block of roast beef.

Drives. Me. CRAZY! To the point where I tell my wife not to buy them anymore.
Kings over Queens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 12:59 PM   #2191
gone traveling

Pet peeve: retired, enjoy sleeping late. But I can't even sleep past dawn. Presumably the SAME stoopid zebra dove is doing his VERY loud noise-making thing, way too blasted early, from a perch somewhere VERY near my window. Is this going to keep up all [mod edit] summer? It's impossible to locate the beast.

Wiki: "The species is known for its pleasant, soft, staccato cooing calls." Pleasant? No way.

GhostofTomJoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 02:40 PM   #2192
Give me a forum ...

We call it "bird o'clock" at our house.

"When did you get up?"

"Bird o'clock"

Old 05-29-2023, 08:42 PM   #2193
Recycles dryer sheets

I like that - Bird o’clock.
But I usually get up at Trash Truck O’clock
Act2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 11:38 PM   #2194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofTomJoad View Post
Pet peeve: retired, enjoy sleeping late. But I can't even sleep past dawn. Presumably the SAME stoopid zebra dove is doing his VERY loud noise-making thing, way too blasted early, from a perch somewhere VERY near my window.
In New Orleans we have many VERY large black birds, that most people call ravens due to their size. They might be gigantic crows. They sound a little more like the crows on this video than like ravens, but could be either one:

They are maybe 2 feet from beak to tip of tail. Anyway, they are very vocal.

I really don't mind listening to them, though. I guess they just seem like part of the family since they are always around, on the roof, by the chimney, all around the yard, always vocalizing loudly either together or back and forth to one another at any hour of the day or night. I know, they should bother me but I like having them around.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:33 AM   #2195
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act2 View Post
I like that - Bird o’clock.
But I usually get up at Trash Truck O’clock
R. Lee Ermey has nothing on the feline drill sergeants who roust us out at 0600 every morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ermey.jpg (5.7 KB, 117 views)
Old 05-30-2023, 05:41 AM   #2196

Try putting up a garden owl near your window. Especially one with reflective eyes and the head that spins in the wind. Might work. It did for my garden.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:34 AM   #2197
Full time employment: Posting here.

My pet peeve today is birds building their nest in the hollow of my 5th wheel camper. We have to store our camper in a storage lot and the last two years I have had to pull out all this mess wnen we go to get the camper. So far I've not pulled any eggs out with the nest but it is gross just cleaning it out.
Venturer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:10 AM   #2198

My pet peeve of the moment is the media reporting about a study that says seeing and hearing birds helps with your mental well being.
Not if those blanking birds are chirping all day at your house and pooping all over. They are messy and destructive. I’m on round three of trying to evict them.
I don’t think evoking homicidal rage is good for my mental health. [emoji23]
Makes me wish I had learned to use a slingshot from my brother when I was a kid.
Irishgirlyc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:19 AM   #2199
Give me a forum ...

We have a small bird bath in our yard, I love watching them in it.
I do not put out any bird feed, though.
If they get too noisy in the early am, I close the windows and turn on a fan. It helps.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:59 AM   #2200
Give me a forum ...

I put up a strip of "bird spikes" on a ledge under my deck.

The Carolina Wrens said "Thanks, Joe! This will make the nest secure!" and built the darn nest right in the middle of the spikes.

Sometimes you just have to laugh and roll with it.