What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

Another over used word in the restaurant industry is 'perfect'. No matter what I order it's perfect. I could order a charred cheeseburger on a rice bun with pancake syrup and radish slices,and a bowl of chopped liver salad on the side, and it would be perfect.

I counter that with another overused restaurant word - this time from the marketing folks at HQ- "hand crafted".

Everything is handcrafted now - i.e. someone stuck their two hands into your food to make it. Color me impressed.

Remember when anything machine or tech crafted was the edgy bragging point circa MadMen days?

Everything is handcrafted now - i.e. someone stuck their two hands into your food to make it. Color me impressed.

Seems like most of the marketing folks think that the more syllables are in the name of an item, the better it will sound. "Handcrafted" adds three syllables ... almost enough to start my mouth watering.

My pet peeve today is that my neighbor has been running a loud, whole-house generator all day long today. It's not like Hurricane Ian is coming this way! And we aren't having a power outage.

I'd feel really bad for him, thinking he might have electrical problems, except.... he is the type of guy who has an electrician, a plumber, an AC guy, a tree trimmer, or other workmen over there doing obvious, loud work every single weekend. I think that constantly having tradesmen working on his house for no reason whatsoever, makes him feel "manly" or something. My sweetie "F.", who is my neighbor on the other side of my house, can't understand what this guy's problem is either.

Most of us have probably known someone like this at one time or another. It's not like this is the most terrible pet peeve or anything, but I wish someone would tell him to send the workmen home, get a beer, and kick back on the weekends.

I had a funny book when I was a kid, mostly cartoons, called "How to live with a neurotic dog". I think the author had my present neighbor in mind. :LOL:

I am extremely upset. Someone tried to charge $1900 worth of auto stuff from a company in Daytona Beach.
Since I am sitting here looking out at the Pacific Ocean, I know it was not me.

I called the CC company, and they will take care of it, BUT they have to issue me a new card. It is going to be a PITA to change all the CC numbers on all the subscriptions I have, but it has to be done.
Fortunately, I have a list of those subscriptions.

I am extremely upset. Someone tried to charge $1900 worth of auto stuff from a company in Daytona Beach.

I called the CC company, and they will take care of it, BUT they have to issue me a new card. It is going to be a PITA to change all the CC numbers on all the subscriptions I have, but it has to be done.
How upsetting! glad they confirmed that it was a thief, and will take care of the charges.

You might consider using the Capital One card that allows you to have a unique number for each subscription, online vendor, etc. If the bad guys get hold of a number, at most, you have to change the one number that's compromised. In general the virtual numbers can only be used at the first business you gave it to. It also pay 1.5% cash back.

Which is one reason why I put all of my monthly bills on a single CC..... and that CC is not used for other stuff so the likely hood of it being stolen is less....

Which is one reason why I put all of my monthly bills on a single CC..... and that CC is not used for other stuff so the likely hood of it being stolen is less....

This is a clever thing to do, I've tried to do it and am about 50% there.
I also have the CC auto pay it's balance, so I don't have to be concerned about my subscriptions being paid if I'm traveling.

You might consider using the Capital One card that allows you to have a unique number for each subscription, online vendor, etc. If the bad guys get hold of a number, at most, you have to change the one number that's compromised. In general the virtual numbers can only be used at the first business you gave it to. It also pay 1.5% cash back.

I'll second the Capital One "virtual credit card". I now have perhaps a dozen of those at different stores such as Home Depot and it is only good at that one store. On one occasion I did once get a notice that an attempt had been made to use a virtual number at store other than the one assigned, and it was no big deal to just cancel that virtual number and create a new one the next time one was needed. All the others were not affected.

My pet peeve is the too often making things more confusing by trying to make things easier.

I got an email saying my doctor sent me a secure message. The doc changed to a different group recently. The patient portal is through a Athenahealth portal which promotes one email/password for different portals. Confusing to me.

I followed the link, logged on with my email/password that I used at the portal of the old group. Don't see no message. Now I don't know if there actually was a real message or was that just a link to the new group portal.

Oh, here's another pet peeve. Whenever I enter the name of almost anyone who is fairly well known into Google, one of the suggested searches is often [name of person here] net worth. Of all the things I would want to know about a person, their net worth is by far the least interesting and as such, at the very bottom of my list.

It bugs me that so many people find the net worth of others such a fascinating subject.

Hmmm, Googled "Major Tom net worth" but the closest I got was Colonel Tom Parker, who of course managed Elvis. Parker's net worth was about $1M at his death.

Peeve lately is websites that don't make sense. Was trying to use the Vanguard investment website a few days ago. It was unusable. Worse than the rollout of the Affordable Care Act website, lol. My peeve isn't that it is unusable, but that Vanguard is a huge, major company, and it's website is unusable. How on earth is that possible? Are there no competent systems analysts any more, to design websites? Are they all just speaking into a microphone to some AI software and saying ' create an investment website' ? And having zero knowledge? And making $100,000 a year, to boot? Probably, lol.

Another over used word in the restaurant industry is 'perfect'. No matter what I order it's perfect. I could order a charred cheeseburger on a rice bun with pancake syrup and radish slices,and a bowl of chopped liver salad on the side, and it would be perfect.

Speaking of over used words, I am noticing "best" is being used way too often. "It's the BEST Mexican food ever!" Really? Have you actually sampled ALL the Mexican restaurants in the entirety of the world? Doubtful.

I'm peeved at myself for getting involved in arguments on the internet. It is more energy-draining than I realize. At the time, it feels like sparring, but it often escalates (probably because my points are so devastating, heh). I'm left with a headache.

I do it much less often than I used to, but I still wander (innocently!) into an occasional online squabble. It never ends well. Dale Carnegie has a chapter called, "You Can Never Win an Argument." I have read it three times. I probably need to read it a fourth, lol.

I'm peeved at myself for getting involved in arguments on the internet. It is more energy-draining than I realize. At the time, it feels like sparring, but it often escalates (probably because my points are so devastating, heh). I'm left with a headache.

I do it much less often than I used to, but I still wander (innocently!) into an occasional online squabble. It never ends well. Dale Carnegie has a chapter called, "You Can Never Win an Argument." I have read it three times. I probably need to read it a fourth, lol.

Perhaps avoid looking at subjects that drives you to "tell it like it is." I have found myself doing this as well, even though I know I am not ever going to change anyone's thinking.

Yeah - I get sucked into that nonsense myself, despite my best intentions. Sometimes it's hard not to keep posting when you feel so strongly about something - and especially if the other party is quoting outright lies or incorrect information. You feel like you at least want to correct the record for anyone else viewing the thread, so they don't keep the misinformation going. But I've learned to just keep chanting the same thing to myself when I get annoyed at the time/effort I'm wasting:

"Gee - that opposing comment on <social media channel of choice> really changed my mind" said no one EVER!

Haven't looked back to see if other air-travel PPs, but my recent flight reminded me how much I have Pet Peeves over:

1) Carry on luggage: The air lines keep shrinking the size of the acceptable carry ons. But that's not my PP. Apparently, they don't even look at what folks are bringing on. I watched a few hundred folks boarding my various flights and many (most?) are bringing carry-ons MUCH bigger than "allowed" and many more than allowed. Most folks come onto the aircraft pulling a "standard" carry-on (probably the older ones which are now a couple of inches too big each way) AND wearing a back pack as well. As a "personal item" that weighs 25 lbs that must be carried on the back seems a bit much. I'm guessing the total weight of carry on most folks now carry approaches 45 or 50 pounds. So every flight is problematic finding space to place carry ons in overheads. If you get there first (DW and I mercifully are allowed - so far - to pre-board because we require "extra time" due to physical conditions.) Others end up putting their carry-ons any where they can find space. Upon exit, they wait until the plane empties so they can go retrieve their carry-on.

2) Folks who use back packs have no sense of personal space. Air craft are crowded places and aisles are narrow. As back-pack wearers trundle down the aisles and look for their row number, they shift side to side and their back packs become lethal weapons that slap unsuspecting seated people in the head. One guy got really steamed at me for holding his back pack away from my head as he pivoted back and forth, trying to help his wife put luggage in the overhead behind me. I told him he had already hit me in the head twice and he wasn't going to do it again unless he wanted to use his fist. He got this "look" - and then apologized.

I really do understand the "unconsciousness" that folks develop when they are on a "mission" (get on the plane, find a seat, get the luggage stowed, etc.) Still, folks ARE responsible for their own actions and should be mindful of other people. The airlines are walking a tight rope. They want customers, so don't push the "limits" too hard. Yet, all that carry-on is problematic and needs to be dealt with. I haven't flown an "under-booked" flight for several years now. I've never seen a flight that had a single overhead space left over either. Folks just bring more and more carry-on now that the airlines charge for checked luggage. Flight crews are the "go betweens" between greedy airlines and "stingy" passengers. It's not getting better. YMMV

Speaking of over used words, I am noticing "best" is being used way too often. "It's the BEST Mexican food ever!" Really? Have you actually sampled ALL the Mexican restaurants in the entirety of the world? Doubtful.
Nothing wrong with a bit of hyperbole IMO. Life would be dull if our verbal communications were purely descriptive and accurate, and conveyed nothing of our sheer joy when experiencing new things.

Nothing wrong with a bit of hyperbole IMO. Life would be dull if our verbal communications were purely descriptive and accurate, and conveyed nothing of our sheer joy when experiencing new things.

Perhaps, but it still a pet peeve of MINE.

More specifically (as an example) when I am looking for recommendations for a good Mexican restaurant in Anytown, USA. Lots and lots of recommendations will come across with "This place is THE BEST!" as opposed to "I like XYZ, their food is very good." I see it very often with contractors who have family members/friends shilling for them.

Second pet peeve: Folks who try and dismiss my pet peeves. ;)

Last edited:

Yeah, requiring "accurate" speech here would basically shut down the site! We can't even enforce such speech in pharma inserts and other gummint documents. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom