Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2021, 05:59 PM   #481
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Sorry we closed the blinds . We thought you were Jehovah's Witnesses.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2021, 08:16 PM   #482

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Well, several reasons.

One: to test myth busters "do farts burn and/or cause explosions". You have to know the composition in order to perform such experiments reproducibly.

Two: a VERY SIGNIFICANT portion of greenhouse gases are due to (mostly) methane emissions from (farm) animals and people. So, it behooves us to know the exact composition.

This stuff is important!
I'm not sure methane is as bad an actor as we've been told, at least the methane that comes from cows, etc.

https://carolinestocks.medium.com/de...e-23926c63f2c0

The methane (natural gas) that is leaked from fracking is probably much more significant, and the CO2 generated from fossil fuels is carbon that has been trapped in the ground for millions of years and is being released at a rapid rate.

Another thing to consider is that before we settled the land, there were millions upon millions of buffalo populating our plains, and more methane producing animals all over the world than there are now. It makes no sense to blame global warming on cows and not blame on the bison of past centuries.

Not to be an apologist; it's just that I like steak and cheese.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:08 PM   #483

Housing inventory shortage and rapidly escalating prices. Want to downsize now that I am a widower, but this real estate market is not making a move easier.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:17 AM   #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I'm not sure methane is as bad an actor as we've been told, at least the methane that comes from cows, etc.

https://carolinestocks.medium.com/de...e-23926c63f2c0

The methane (natural gas) that is leaked from fracking is probably much more significant, and the CO2 generated from fossil fuels is carbon that has been trapped in the ground for millions of years and is being released at a rapid rate.

Another thing to consider is that before we settled the land, there were millions upon millions of buffalo populating our plains, and more methane producing animals all over the world than there are now. It makes no sense to blame global warming on cows and not blame on the bison of past centuries.

Not to be an apologist; it's just that I like steak and cheese.
Not making apologies or accusations. I have been on a keto/paleo diet for many years and I’m quite a carnivore myself. I was just responding to someone’s view that studying the composition of flatulence gases is a waste of time and resource and not worth knowing... :coolsmiley
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:03 PM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Still NOT sulfur dioxide! Flatulence consists of several odourous compounds (methyl mercaptan, ethyl mercapatn, etc, sometimes ammonia, maybe methyl amine and non-odorous ones such as methane.
Sulfur dioxide is a very corrosive gas that instantaneously reacts with water to form sulfurous acid (a relative of the better known corrosive agent sulfuric acid). This would be a problem to have in your colon. Remember, the stomach is designed to handle acid, but the colon is designed for neutral to slightly basic pH.
Should we be checking that with those test strips?
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:08 PM   #486
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
What-is-your-pet-peeve-of-the-day?]
People who are unhelpful by nature. Or just plain lazy.

The other day I e-mailed my county highway department about increasing signage after a recent construction project narrowed a road near my home. After the construction project, both sides of the road were designated as no parking, and there is a no parking sign at one end of the block but people obviously don't see it and keep parking at the other end anyway.

There have been a couple of near-accidents due to vehicles crossing the center line and I thought if the county put up an additional sign that it might prevent an accident.

His response: Not my job. Contact the town.

Unfortunately, the town doesn't have any way to contact them online, and the phones go unanswered whenever I call. I'll probably just end up talking to one of the local police officers the next time I see one and have him or her relay the message to whomever is in charge of that in our town offices. I'm not too worried that we'll get an additional sign put up.

My pet peeve of the day is just the "not my job" response I got from the highway department official. I'm sure he could have forwarded on my message to someone in the town but he chose to let me know that it wasn't his job instead.

-AM23
ArmchairMillionaire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:26 PM   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Should we be checking that with those test strips?
Yes!

see:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_...pH%20of%206.6.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
can't let you have a moment
Old 05-16-2021, 05:28 PM   #488
Recycles dryer sheets

can't let you have a moment

Maybe this is just the people I know, but seems like even more now that all are retired, you can't just mention an experience that you've had and fellow retirees, instead of saying that sounds fun/amazing, respond with an attempt to out do. I try very intentionally to let people have their moment, but it is not returned. It's so predictable at this point it's comical so maybe I'm passed pet peeve and just having a laugh
Old 05-20-2021, 06:52 AM   #489

Why do the instructions change every few months at the self service checkout terminals?
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:04 PM   #490
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Why do the instructions change every few months at the self service checkout terminals?
Same reason why the when you call customer service and the automated system says, "Our options have changed so please listen to all 43 choices before selecting one that won't help you."

I have noticed that they can be wildly different even at the same chain of stores. The two Wal Marts nearest us has totally different systems and it makes using the "scan and sorta go" a pain to use.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:05 PM   #491

Drivers who don't know what a flashing red light means. They have installed a number of pedestrian lights on 'major' 4 lane roads in our area. The ped presses the walk button, the overhead lights go to yellow then red. During their crossing, the lights start flashing red and continue to do so for some time after the ped has crossed. About half the time, cars just sit and sit and sit and wait for the flashing red light to stop. Arghhhhh. It wants to make me sit on the horn but I restrain myself of course.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #492

My son got a 1/8" screw in the center of his tire, took it to Sam's for a plug, they came back and said it could not be repaired. Bought a new tire.
At what point did it become that tires are no longer plugged or patched. I worked in a gas station back in the 70s and we plugged tires very often.
Is it really a liability problem or just a way to upsell?

Only 6000 miles on the tires. Purchased 400 miles away, retail chain is not in this town.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:03 PM   #493
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Why do the ports that we use to hook things up to our phones, computers and other gear change. Currently, I have a number of cords and adapters that I have to juggle. Now there is USB-C and there are variations on USB-C too! Ugh.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:26 PM   #494
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
My son got a 1/8" screw in the center of his tire, took it to Sam's for a plug, they came back and said it could not be repaired. Bought a new tire.
At what point did it become that tires are no longer plugged or patched. I worked in a gas station back in the 70s and we plugged tires very often.
Is it really a liability problem or just a way to upsell?

Only 6000 miles on the tires. Purchased 400 miles away, retail chain is not in this town.
If it's in the sidewall where the belts are, it shouldn't be repaired. In the tread area, it can be, but they like to sell tires. I have repaired many tires with plugs with no issues. I keep a plug kit in my trunk with other safety stuff and some tools.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:07 PM   #495
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Drivers who don't know what a flashing red light means. They have installed a number of pedestrian lights on 'major' 4 lane roads in our area. The ped presses the walk button, the overhead lights go to yellow then red. During their crossing, the lights start flashing red and continue to do so for some time after the ped has crossed. About half the time, cars just sit and sit and sit and wait for the flashing red light to stop. Arghhhhh. It wants to make me sit on the horn but I restrain myself of course.

Hmmm, have never seen this before in my life... so I would be one that sits... red means STOP...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Hmmm, have never seen this before in my life... so I would be one that sits... red means STOP...
Wow, you've never seen a flashing red traffic light? Have them here often when for some reason the powers that be need to convert traffic light(s) to 'stop sign', usually during some sort of construction or repair. Flashing red means stop, look around, then go when safe. The same as a stop sign. Prior to installing of these pedestrian lights, there was much communication about what it means and how cars should react. You still occasionally see this to remind cars that they need to stop and stay stopped when the light is a solid red, but may proceed after stopping if the light is flashing.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:01 PM   #497
Administrator

I have never seen a flashing red light for a pedestrian crossing. In our area, if the light's computer fails, it flashes red in all directions. People treat it as a four way stop sign. If the power fails entirely, it shows nothing at all, and people still treat it as a four way stop.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:30 PM   #498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Wow. Flashing red is the same as a stop sign.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:49 AM   #499

Arrgh! I need to transfer money to my daughter for tuition. Admittedly I waited longer than I should have. I started to setup a transfer from my bank to her bank (my name is on her account). They didn't recognize the account as mine, so they setup two very small deposits, which I then had to tell them the amounts of. (a couple more days have passed) So I have the small amounts, I enter the amounts and I'm OKed. I precede with filling out the transfer form, (I ignore the line about check limit amounts), the transfer fails. I then check the limit amounts, there is a $2,000 limit, I need to transfer over $30k. Arrgh! again!

I'll be visiting my bank in 1-1/2 hours when they open.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:36 AM   #500

Constantly being bugged by apps for a review on the app store, or by the clerk at the liquor store for me to respond to a survey about how she did, etc. I ignore these things, but I wish the constant pleading for reviews would stop.

And with "star inflation" if it's ever less than 5 out of 5, someone thinks it's a crappy review - nephew told me that where he worked if anyone ever gets less than perfect reviews their job is in danger.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote