Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 08:00 AM   #5121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateW View Post
Paint or sealer color that appears different than the color named on can. I had most of a gallon of Valspar Cedar Naturaltone wood sealer left over from getting our previous house ready to sell. So I use it to seal the deck on our new house, thinking I would buy another gallon of the same when I finish the gallon I have. Well, Lowe's no longer has it at a store within a100 miles of me. No one else carries it. I discover Home Depot has Behr Cedar Naturaltone sealer with the same 6 year warranty. I figure the color will be pretty much the same. Wrong! Let the pictures speak for themselves. The Behr sealer is the much lighter color.

Fortunately the can you now have is a lighter shade. First, make sure it is mixed well. If you did not have Home Depot mix it in their shaker machine, there is a high likelihood that the pigment is still sitting in the bottom of your can. If so, mixing now, of course, will result in a darker shade than the previous, so use a mix stick to feel if there's pigment down there. It will cling to the stick when you draw it up.
If the can was mixed thoroughly, then you can apply additional coats to get a darker shade. It may also affect the opacity of the finished product, but the color should be a better match I would think.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #5122

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateW View Post
Paint or sealer color that appears different than the color named on can. I had most of a gallon of Valspar Cedar Naturaltone wood sealer left over from getting our previous house ready to sell. So I use it to seal the deck on our new house, thinking I would buy another gallon of the same when I finish the gallon I have. Well, Lowe's no longer has it at a store within a100 miles of me. No one else carries it. I discover Home Depot has Behr Cedar Naturaltone sealer with the same 6 year warranty. I figure the color will be pretty much the same. Wrong! Let the pictures speak for themselves. The Behr sealer is the much lighter color.
Brings to mind a hilarious event for me a few months back. DW goes to local store for hair and beauty supplies, she uses DSIL's hairdresser discount. So she purchases a hair coloring product called dark ashen blonde, as she had been using just ashen blonde. (I didn't even knew she dyed her hair.) Well, after she was done with the process, I came in from cutting the grass, busted out, and she was not a very happy camper. She looked like Elvira! Somehow the coloring got mixed, switched, replaced, reacted with her existing hair or something but she went from a extremely light brown to coal black. What a shock!
Old 07-08-2020, 01:17 AM   #5123

Still waiting for my pliers from UPS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UPS-traking-insulated-pliers.jpg (195.3 KB, 96 views)
Old 07-10-2020, 08:42 AM   #5124

Something my husband does that irritates me. He did it again this morning.

When we are working on a little project, he is not careful about marking up walls. His response is always “that can be touched up”. This morning we installed a new mirror in the bathroom and managed to scratch the sh*t out the surrounding wall paint. “Well you can touch that up”

*I* do all of the painting because DH cannot be bothered to learn to do it. I’m not so annoyed at the need to fix the damage as I am of the dismissal of the effort it takes to do it correctly. I guess any job can look easy if you’ve never done it.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #5125
Recycles dryer sheets

A friend asked me to lunch yesterday and I said yes. Then nothing. No response to my emails or texts. "Are we having lunch today". Finally at 12:58, Oh I was in the yard working, want to go tomorrow. NO
Old 07-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #5126

DW dropped her 7 yo cell phone; phone worked but screen would not. We had been to dentist, Costco, allergy doctor so we went to Verizon store for new phone. Prior to going to Verizon, we called about a phone repair, estimate was $150 +tax. Walked into Verizon store at 3:45 pm, picked out several phones, but were all out of reasonably priced phone, they said. We decided to walk, then they found 2 reasonable phones, we could both upgrade at same time.We decided to just get one for her. After going through various contortions removing her SIMM card and putting it in mine fo facilitate identities, paperwork, etc., the store closed at 5:00 pm. They tried moving all her "stuff" several times, but failed several time. At 5:45 pm, they told us to take it home and try to activate it on our own wifi. I started at 8:00 pm and at 9:00 am this morning , it still wouldn't work, so we took it to our local store. This tech here had us up and running in about 10 minutes. They're lucky the phone wasn't part of somebody's anatomy and need a proctologist to remove it.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #5127

I got something in the mail yesterday in a plastic wrapper completely covered with an ad for USPS flat rate envelopes. I've ordered envelopes from the USPS in the past and it looked just like a package of envelopes. I almost didn't bother opening it up because I didn't need them. But I opened it and it's some financial information. I think a prospectus. Still don't need it but if it were important I could have easily missed it.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:25 AM   #5128
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Flitting hither & yon between a variety of 'news' sites I've become weary of people constantly apologizing for minor, and often imaginary, infractions of fluctuating mores. Stop it!

(Sorry if I've offended anyone. "Yeah, right".)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 07-15-2020, 07:32 AM   #5129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Flitting hither & yon between a variety of 'news' sites I've become weary of people constantly apologizing for minor, and often imaginary, infractions of fluctuating mores. Stop it!

(Sorry if I've offended anyone. "Yeah, right".)

Do you mean all this political correctness is making our society not sure how to interact with each other.
Please offend away, I'm a big boy, my feelings will not be hurt.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:58 AM   #5130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Do you mean all this political correctness is making our society not sure how to interact with each other.
Please offend away, I'm a big boy, my feelings will not be hurt.
'We' appear to be surrounded by the 'perpetually affronted'. Nowadays I'm constantly reminded of Joan Rivers and "Aw, Grow Up!"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 07-15-2020, 08:16 AM   #5131

Quote:
People

Who

Need

To

fully

A

Super

Long

Scrolling

Multi

Paragraph

Just

To

Say

hah yeah, agree!
Old 07-15-2020, 08:59 AM   #5132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
hah yeah, agree!
I'm never sure what to do there sometimes if it's a really long thread with lots of pages, I'll requote the poster just to get them a better position on the thread. I know for sure that lot of people see a 10 page thread read the first post and the last post and ask questions answered many times in pages one thru 9.. oh wait, maybe that is a pet peeve itself.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:06 AM   #5133

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
A friend asked me to lunch yesterday and I said yes. Then nothing. No response to my emails or texts. "Are we having lunch today". Finally at 12:58, Oh I was in the yard working, want to go tomorrow. NO
I have a B-I-L who does this kind of stuff and I find it completely perplexing.

He'll text me "Hey, want to meet for coffee?". I reply within minutes (if not immediately) "Sure. Where and when?". No response.

If it happened once, I wouldn't give it a second thought. But, he's done this several times now.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #5134

Quote:
People Who Need To fully Quote ...
Nearly everyone on a mailing list I subscribe to does this, including the following bit that’s automatically appended to each message:

Quote:
Before replying to this message, please determine if your message needs to go to the ENTIRE group. If not, please click on the 'Reply to Sender' link
below, or hit reply and ensure that your TO: field contains the person(s)
email address that you want to reply to, not the group email address. This will keep other subscribers from receiving unnecessary emails.
Of course, the message is usually “me too” and is sent to the entire list. Then there’s the “me too, too” reply with two copies of the footnote, etc. It cracks me up!
Old 07-19-2020, 02:42 PM   #5135

Ok. I still loath the shift in baseball but if you have seen the MLB with no one in the stadium and then playing crowd sounds. It’s just sad. Today I was trying to watch the Reds play and they were using the bullpen catcher as the umpire. Ughhh!!!
Old 07-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #5136

Doggie do bags. When people feel it is reasonable to drop them on my driveway edge or elsewhere. Have been at the cottage for a month and the most ridiculous thing is finding these things at the roadsides which is surrounded by endless bush. For goodness sake's just pick up a stick and give it a good flick. When they are 'considerate' and drop them into the bottom of my bear proof garbage pick up containers (fashioned from 55 gallon oil drums - how are they thinking I am getting them back out from the bottom without major effort.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #5137

Today it was an IKEA commercial. The narrator starts out with this, "What will be the first thing you will do when you are able?" The reference, of course, is when SIP is recalled. I yelled back that I'm already ABLE, I'm just not PERMITTED. So the question I should be asked is; what will be the first thing I'll do when I'm permitted?
Old 07-19-2020, 11:12 PM   #5138

Type Micro-B USB 3.0+ connectors. Ugh! One of my external drives has become fickle with this type of connection. I lost connection twice today trying to back up some data to that drive. These connectors are far too easy to disengage, and they may be the quickest of the USB connectors to start wearing out. I really wished they had designed them to be like some of the DisplayPort cables that will lock into place.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:48 AM   #5139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Nearly everyone on a mailing list I subscribe to does this, including the following bit that’s automatically appended to each message:

Of course, the message is usually “me too” and is sent to the entire list. Then there’s the “me too, too” reply with two copies of the footnote, etc. It cracks me up!
Oye. Our HOA email "guru" has NO IDEA what the BCC button is for. Ugh... at least we only have 30'ish homes in the neighborhood. I am in favor of an email licencing scheme...where you would be required to pass a test about good e-mail etiquette.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:59 AM   #5140

A bunch of things I've Googled for in recent years bring results about pot. The latest is "does wax go rancid." I was looking for alternatives to oil for a wooden rolling pin. Even mineral oil has an expiration date and I saw someone mentioning wax used to season wood. I figure wax does go bad, but I bet it lasts longer than mineral oil. I just wanted to see one person claiming wax doesn't go bad. I'd believe they're wrong but it would be good enough for me. That's the state of my research these days -- searching for what's probably not as wrong as the other stuff.
Closed Thread