Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 07:28 AM   #5261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Maybe they were from another country and didn't understand that you meant aluminium.
Ha ha! That's one of my pet peeves! English speakers who think we need to all pronounce or call things the same world over. I enjoy the variety.

DW still talks about the time at the grocery store a gentleman kindly told her: "Excuse me, ma'am, I believe you have my trolley." I think he charmed her. Maybe I need to keep out an eye?

Much nicer than: "Yo, ya got my shopping cart."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2020, 07:43 AM   #5262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Maybe they were from another country and didn't understand that you meant aluminium.

But wouldn't that come under the stupid category.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:31 AM   #5263
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I was asked what material were the Levelor mini aluminum blinds made out of, not once but twice. First time I replied aluminum, second time I replied macaroni. Both answers were posted on Amazon.
"Aluminum" was in the product name and description and the people used it in their question.
Thanks for an interesting story.

By the way maybe you can help me with a history quiz I am taking. Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:47 AM   #5264
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
By the way maybe you can help me with a history quiz I am taking. Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?
That's a gimmee....it's the Unknown Soldier.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 08-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #5265

Success with clichés. In one of Neil Sedaka's mini concerts a week or two ago, he had two clichés in the first two lines. His song choices for today's concert were Heart of Stone, Bringing Me Back to Life, and Super Hottie.

I also wish he wouldn't say "thank you" after each song, as if he's hearing applause.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #5266
Recycles dryer sheets

Unprecedented! I’m going to throw my drink at the TV the next time I hear it.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #5267
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thMed View Post
I bet it will be the first time you've ever done that.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #5268

Fonts that over-do sans-serif. When "Mentally Ill" looks like "Mentally Three" then you're using the wrong font. Why does anyone think it's acceptable to eliminate the horizontal lines of a capital I?
Old 08-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #5269

Last month I moaned about copywriters going over the top with a pair of socks that boasted "tuned dampeners in the forefoot and heel and dynamic linkage in the midfoot ..."

Today I got an ad for a T-shirt, and one of the "features" they listed was:
Quote:
Convenient openings for head, neck, arms
I suppose I should be glad they didn't get too creative this time, but
Old 08-07-2020, 02:28 PM   #5270
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
Fonts that over-do sans-serif. When "Mentally Ill" looks like "Mentally Three" then you're using the wrong font. Why does anyone think it's acceptable to eliminate the horizontal lines of a capital I?
It goes the other way too. A few years back, The Chicago Tribune changed their font (at least for the print edition, which I don't get anymore). When a word had two lower case "t"s together (like "better" or Everett" ), the horizontals of the "t"s (I assume that is a serif), overlapped and it looked like the symbol for "Pi" (π). Very odd looking. No one noticed this?

Another pet peeve, I couldn't recall how to type a Pi symbol, had to copy/paste. I know how to do degrees: ° (on my system "start" and oo) . Hmmm, "start" and PP gives ¶ (paragraph).

edit/add: OK, this will set the conspiracy theorists going: After submitting this, I turn to my email, and I just received:

Tales Of �������� ⌨️ (Was "Tales of Type", some chars not recognized)

https://tedium.co/2020/08/07/digital...m_medium=email

Quote:
Today in Tedium: Typography has been one of the key ways that the computer has distinguished itself from more traditional physical forms. Here’s what I mean: In the 1930s or 1940s, if you wanted to change a font on a newspaper or magazine, you had to use a completely different set of blocks of metal type, and that process of switching blocks took time. Now, it’s a matter of literally selecting an item in a menu or changing a line of your CSS code. ....
do-do do-do do-do do-do(Twilight Zone theme)

-ERD50
Old 08-07-2020, 09:57 PM   #5271

I almost put this in the vitamin D thread but I think this is better. The version of this almond milk that's on the manufacturer's website has 25% vitamin D. Walmart shows the same, but they sent me a version with slightly different packaging and zero vitamin D. Amazon also has the zero vitamin D version but at least they say so in their listing. So now I have to be home for Fedex on Monday.

27 of them...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soy-milk-return-email.jpg (375.6 KB, 58 views)
Old 08-07-2020, 10:33 PM   #5272

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
When a word had two lower case "t"s together (like "better" or Everett" ), the horizontals of the "t"s (I assume that is a serif)
I believe that is an example of "kerning."

Serifs are the small, dangly things on the ends of the strokes of a letter.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #5273
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
I believe that is an example of "kerning."

Serifs are the small, dangly things on the ends of the strokes of a letter.

Might be a combination, I'll see if I can find an example, but if the serifs on the 't' are large, that could cause them to blend?

OK, here you go (from their 'digital print' version), you can see that the 't' doesn't touch other letters, but touches (or comes extremely close to) an adjacent 't' ("better"), looks like a Pi symbol to my eye:

-ERD50
Attached Images
File Type: png Trib - tt looks like Pi .png (125.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 08-08-2020, 08:03 AM   #5274
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thMed View Post
Out of an abundance of caution, I recommend you don't throw anything.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:38 AM   #5275

The combination "tt" is often kerned closer together: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerning#Kerning_values

When I write "tt" in cursive, I use a single stroke to cross both t's. Do you cross them individually? I imagine that the kerning is meant to imitate the look of crossing them both with the same stroke, but that is just my speculation.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:56 AM   #5276
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It goes the other way too. A few years back, The Chicago Tribune changed their font (at least for the print edition, which I don't get anymore). When a word had two lower case "t"s together (like "better" or Everett" ), the horizontals of the "t"s (I assume that is a serif), overlapped and it looked like the symbol for "Pi" (π). Very odd looking. No one noticed this?

Another pet peeve, I couldn't recall how to type a Pi symbol, had to copy/paste. I know how to do degrees: ° (on my system "start" and oo) . Hmmm, "start" and PP gives ¶ (paragraph).

edit/add: OK, this will set the conspiracy theorists going: After submitting this, I turn to my email, and I just received:

-ERD50
What is happening there is the composing software has a feature where it substitutes a different character code to improve the on-screen or printed appearance. So the browser shows you one thing but the characters when copied are not interpreted correctly when you paste elsewhere.

EDIT: Actually, I am able to copy and paste that text successfully.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:25 AM   #5277
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
The combination "tt" is often kerned closer together: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerning#Kerning_values

When I write "tt" in cursive, I use a single stroke to cross both t's. Do you cross them individually? I imagine that the kerning is meant to imitate the look of crossing them both with the same stroke, but that is just my speculation.
What's cursive my cursive looks like absolute chicken scratches due to lack of use....
Old 08-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #5278

Quote:

-ERD50
We had a weird thing like this happen last week. We'd gone to a friend's house and he'd taken DH downstairs to look at a tool in his shop. Later at home while DH and I were on the internet, DH mentioned that the guy had showed him a Murphy bed he'd built in a downstairs bedroom. The next morning, I started seeing ads for Murphy beds. Neither of us had ever searched for anything related to Murphy beds, only talked about it that one time. We then did an experiment by having a discussion about Viking ranges. Haven't yet seen any ads for them but we both disabled all app's access to the microphones on our laptops anyways.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:09 AM   #5279

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
We had a weird thing like this happen last week. We'd gone to a friend's house and he'd taken DH downstairs to look at a tool in his shop. Later at home while DH and I were on the internet, DH mentioned that the guy had showed him a Murphy bed he'd built in a downstairs bedroom. The next morning, I started seeing ads for Murphy beds. Neither of us had ever searched for anything related to Murphy beds, only talked about it that one time. We then did an experiment by having a discussion about Viking ranges. Haven't yet seen any ads for them but we both disabled all app's access to the microphones on our laptops anyways.
I'd repeat that experiment over the next few days by talking about other products, and try to have the same things open on the computer as when you spoke about Murphy beds. Then, no matter the results I think I'd add a switch to the microphone and camera like I've been wanting to do anyway.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:44 AM   #5280
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
Been reading something about this stuff, more likely your phone knew your contacts ,pinged your location as your buddies house and since your buddy had a new Murphy bed decided to shoot you an ad in case you liked it. It's insidious. Your buddy at sometime probably googled murphy bed or a seller of the same.

Actually Timcast has an interesting Youtube video yesterday about how pervasive this stuff relating to the TicTok uproar..talk about contact tracing!!
Closed Thread