What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Automated service calls .... "you replied 'no.' Is this correct? Sorry, I could not understand your reply."

That's when my gal knows it a recorded call - I swear and am quite rude to machines. People are just earning grocery and rent money.

People who pave over their front lawns to park their cars. In a townhome community where each unit originally has a small front yard and a driveway and a garage, the paveover gives the place a look of urban blight. One expects to see a shopping cart rolling across the macadam..... No more lawns, just a great big parking lot. :sick:

Pet peeve of the day - Parents who allow their young children to play in the street without proper supervision. I was trying to get home yesterday and a large group of children were playing in the street blocking traffic to the only entrance to our development. The parents were gathered at the top of a driveway chatting away oblivious to the children blocking the access to the residential traffic. The kids just stared at me looking annoyed because I obviously was disturbing their game and didn't move for nearly a minute, forcing me to stop. As I was finally able to get by, another child came tearing down a driveway into the street ahead of me. I stopped of course, then the mother proceeded to run over and yell at me for putting her child in danger. She never said a word that I could hear to her daughter about riding suddenly into the street.

Pet peeve of the day - Parents who allow their young children to play in the street without proper supervision. .......

Your local auto shop can fit an air horn from a heavy truck. :D

In cities where housing cost is high, there are often 3 or 4 bedroom houses with a dozen or more residents. Of course many drive, hence there's no place to park their cars. The 2-car driveway is not enough, and the garage has often been converted into living spaces. And there's not even enough curb space.

I have visited friends living in such places, and have problems finding a parking spot.

Pet peeve #1 for me happened again last night -

Stores that demand personal information to sell you a product.

Went to a large national chain last night to pick up a pair of pliers. The clerk asked "Cash or Credit Card?". Answered "Cash", he asked "Would you like to apply for a XXXX Credit Card?" "No, I just want to pay cash". "Okay, what's your phone number?"
"I'm not giving you my phone number - I just want this pair of pliers" "Well we have to enter your phone number in to do the transaction" "No". "How about your cell phone number then?" "No". "Well, then we need your E-mail address". "No" on and on and on. He basically was insistent that, until I provided the company with my personal information, he was not allowed to give me my change.

All in all it took 10 minutes to pay cash for a pair of pliers. It still amazes me that a retail establishment is more interested in getting my phone number and E-mail address than they are in selling their products.

Ok.... mini-rant over

............Stores that demand personal information to sell you a product...........
Radio Shack used to pull this stunt. I just about came to blows with a kid over a resistor purchase. :LOL:

I think Sears still does some of this.

Loose dogs at the park. They poop everywhere and their owners pretend not to see lest they have to pick it up. The dogs harass me and my leashed dog, plus chase wildlife, including ground nesting birds. Owners always have an excuse, which boils down to leash laws being written for other people's dogs, not their darling well behaved pooches.

Ditto, why is it they always think the "Dogs Must Be On Leash At All Times" sign does not apply to them:confused: I'm getting really good at reminding them that it does :) I'm sure they think I'm just a grumpy old man, or worse...

It still amazes me that a retail establishment is more interested in getting my phone number and E-mail address than they are in selling their products.

They can sell your personal data over and over again. You're only gonna buy that pair of pliers once.

They can sell your personal data over and over again. You're only gonna buy that pair of pliers once.

Exactly. And they'll make more profit from that than the pliers.

I just make up stuff. If it's fake it devalues the information.

Radio Shack used to pull this stunt. I just about came to blows with a kid over a resistor purchase. :LOL:

I think Sears still does some of this.

867-5309 is my standard phone number.

How funny - I do that too, because my Mother and I did that. We would make up the silliest words and rhymes (as I got older, mine got dirtier, and Mom would scold me while laughing!) The Amethyst clan does not object to this little quirk of mine.

I wish I had a friend like your wife.

Amethyst

My wife sings along with the radio in the car (even the commercials) but doesn't know the words so she just makes stuff up.

By the way, she knows this is my pet peeve, but does it anyway.:mad:

Now you're getting out of the peeve zone, and into mortal sin territory.

A.

People who drive 20+ MPH under the speed limit in the inside lane (left side) of the road and not move over to the right lane for traffic.

Car in front is driving too slow. I passed him and as I suspected, he is talking on his cell phone.

Driver on the opposite direction driving too fast and talking on their cell phone and on my lane.

Both within the span of 2 minutes.

My pet peeve are people who use handicapped parking spots that don't need them. Took my nephew out to breakfast, but the handicapped spots were full. We ended up parking in an end parking spot further away that allowed us to get his wheelchair next to his seat so he could get out. When we went by the cars parked in the handicapped spots, two of them didn't have handicapped permits or plates. Where's a cop when you need one!

Exactly, In addition to the lack of enforcement, I also blame the Dr that issues these permits while at the same time advising more exercise and PT for patients that would benefit from exercise. There are people that actually need these spots.

Last edited:
People who drive 20+ MPH under the speed limit in the inside lane (left side) of the road and not move over to the right lane for traffic.
This reminds me of another pet peeve - left lane exits on expressways. I tow my travel trailer at 55 to 60 mph and when I get over into the left lane to exit, it is right in the path of the 80 mph crowd, who give me digital disrespect. :(

Those tiny plastic threads and T pieces that hold tags to new clothing. Can barely see them, need three hands to remove: one to hold clothing, another for scissors and the third to catch the T pieces so they don't wind up either stuck in the item or on the floor to be discovered by bare feet at 4 am.

I hear you on this one. I know how difficult it was for both my Mom and Dad when they could barely walk fifty steps. I always park out at the end of the parking lot so that if all the handicap spots are taken, at least someone in need can get a little closer to the front of the store. I know that doesn't help in cases where wheelchair access is required.

I did this at a restaurant just yesterday. There was a space near the doorway next to a handicapped space but I saw an open space a ways down (less than 100') and decided to leave the nearer space for someone who needed it more than we did.

Links with an interesting "headline" that once you click you find out the only way to get the story is to watch and ad and video. Just give me the story in black and white and I'll read it. Yahoo seems to be doing this more and more.

At least provide the text so I can just read it if I want.

My daughter watching the local game in a non high-def station and then tells me she can't tell the difference even though the screen is 3 inches smaller on each side!

Yep. fellow drivers can rate right up there.
I'll go with BAD Ramen as today's pet peeve.
This guys astute observations of his fellow drivers leads me to guess his Ramen might be edible.

Warning - colorful observations
The Eight Chapters of Ramen - NOWNESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom