Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

My hospital administrator announced record profits a week after making major staffing cuts.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
They can sell your personal data over and over again. You're only gonna buy that pair of pliers once.
Exactly. And they'll make more profit from that than the pliers.

I just make up stuff. If it's fake it devalues the information.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Radio Shack used to pull this stunt. I just about came to blows with a kid over a resistor purchase.

I think Sears still does some of this.
867-5309 is my standard phone number.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

How funny - I do that too, because my Mother and I did that. We would make up the silliest words and rhymes (as I got older, mine got dirtier, and Mom would scold me while laughing!) The Amethyst clan does not object to this little quirk of mine.

I wish I had a friend like your wife.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
My wife sings along with the radio in the car (even the commercials) but doesn't know the words so she just makes stuff up.

By the way, she knows this is my pet peeve, but does it anyway.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Now you're getting out of the peeve zone, and into mortal sin territory.

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
People who drive 20+ MPH under the speed limit in the inside lane (left side) of the road and not move over to the right lane for traffic.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Car in front is driving too slow. I passed him and as I suspected, he is talking on his cell phone.

Driver on the opposite direction driving too fast and talking on their cell phone and on my lane.

Both within the span of 2 minutes.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Retire View Post
My pet peeve are people who use handicapped parking spots that don't need them. Took my nephew out to breakfast, but the handicapped spots were full. We ended up parking in an end parking spot further away that allowed us to get his wheelchair next to his seat so he could get out. When we went by the cars parked in the handicapped spots, two of them didn't have handicapped permits or plates. Where's a cop when you need one!
Exactly, In addition to the lack of enforcement, I also blame the Dr that issues these permits while at the same time advising more exercise and PT for patients that would benefit from exercise. There are people that actually need these spots.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
People who drive 20+ MPH under the speed limit in the inside lane (left side) of the road and not move over to the right lane for traffic.
This reminds me of another pet peeve - left lane exits on expressways. I tow my travel trailer at 55 to 60 mph and when I get over into the left lane to exit, it is right in the path of the 80 mph crowd, who give me digital disrespect.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #69

Those tiny plastic threads and T pieces that hold tags to new clothing. Can barely see them, need three hands to remove: one to hold clothing, another for scissors and the third to catch the T pieces so they don't wind up either stuck in the item or on the floor to be discovered by bare feet at 4 am.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
I hear you on this one. I know how difficult it was for both my Mom and Dad when they could barely walk fifty steps. I always park out at the end of the parking lot so that if all the handicap spots are taken, at least someone in need can get a little closer to the front of the store. I know that doesn't help in cases where wheelchair access is required.
I did this at a restaurant just yesterday. There was a space near the doorway next to a handicapped space but I saw an open space a ways down (less than 100') and decided to leave the nearer space for someone who needed it more than we did.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Links with an interesting "headline" that once you click you find out the only way to get the story is to watch and ad and video. Just give me the story in black and white and I'll read it. Yahoo seems to be doing this more and more.

At least provide the text so I can just read it if I want.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #72

I can only get $5,000 for my good mandolin.....
Old 04-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
867-5309 is my standard phone number.
Don't change that number.

Jenny
Old 04-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

My daughter watching the local game in a non high-def station and then tells me she can't tell the difference even though the screen is 3 inches smaller on each side!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep. fellow drivers can rate right up there.
I'll go with BAD Ramen as today's pet peeve.
This guys astute observations of his fellow drivers leads me to guess his Ramen might be edible.

Warning - colorful observations
The Eight Chapters of Ramen - NOWNESS
Old 04-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #76

Pet Peeve for today...
I went to my local bank branch today to get my signature notarized on several legal documents pertaining to probate on my late Dad's estate. They refused to notorize them because the boiler plate documents contained wording related to distribution of unspecified investment assets or some such nonsense. They would first have to submit them to their legal dept. for approval which would take 1 or 2 days. I was tempted to go over to the teller window and close my account on the spot. They are sitting on about $68,000 of my money in a checking account for which they pay me zero % interest and this is the service they provide?

So I had to go across the street to the UPS store. Paid $1.00 per notary and no problem.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Links with an interesting "headline" that once you click you find out the only way to get the story is to watch and ad and video. Just give me the story in black and white and I'll read it. Yahoo seems to be doing this more and more.

At least provide the text so I can just read it if I want.
+1

-gauss
Old 04-25-2014, 06:28 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Out of coffee....
Old 04-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #79

New pet peeve for today... Online surveys that ask the same question, just a little differently, over and over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
They can sell your personal data over and over again. You're only gonna buy that pair of pliers once.
Bingo. From my read of the financials (back when I was considering investing in individual companies) they really need to extract more than just the purchase price, on small purchases, to have that part of the business be sufficiently profitable. The cost of stocking, retail labor, etc., is so high that small purchases are a loss leader, and of course, if most of your business is folks coming in to purchase loss leaders, then your business won't be successful.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
How funny - I do that too, because my Mother and I did that. We would make up the silliest words and rhymes (as I got older, mine got dirtier, and Mom would scold me while laughing!) The Amethyst clan does not object to this little quirk of mine. I wish I had a friend like your wife. Amethyst
"Take my wife, please."

She even sings alto to commercials on TV.
Closed Thread