What is your thermostat set at?

We turn off the HVAC during electrical storms. We've lost one unit about 15 years ago, and for the cost, I'm willing to put up with a sweaty night to be able to keep it the rest of the time without spending lots of money to repair. And the added hassle of waiting for the repair companies to get to us (as usually we weren't the only ones dealing with issues).
Turn off? In what way? If power is still going to the unit but you've turned off the thermostat, the electronics of the HVAC are still active.

For us, even turning off the thermostat does not disable the HVAC. Because of the house build (very well sealed) and weather here in Central Texas, HVACs in the newer houses (can't speak to the older houses) are set up to circulate the air via its fan every so often if the HVAC hasn't run the AC or the heater during a preset period of time. I would have to flip the breaker or turn off the switch in the antic to completely remove the HVAC from the electricity.

Turn off? In what way? If power is still going to the unit but you've turned off the thermostat, the electronics of the HVAC are still active.

For us, even turning off the thermostat does not disable the HVAC. Because of the house build (very well sealed) and weather here in Central Texas, HVACs in the newer houses (can't speak to the older houses) are set up to circulate the air via its fan every so often if the HVAC hasn't run the AC or the heater during a preset period of time. I would have to flip the breaker or turn off the switch in the antic to completely remove the HVAC from the electricity.

I'm not an expert, so I just have to trust the people who told me to turn it off weren't feeding me a line of BS. A blog from an HVAC site that covers the reasoning as it was explained to me:

While there’s only a small possibility that lightning will strike your home, it can cause a huge power surge through your electrical system if it does happen. Around five billion joules of energy can be sent through the wiring even before the breaker is tripped. This can cause severe damage to your air conditioner if it’s running.

Your AC may not be useable after suffering damage from a lightning strike. For one thing, the plug to your unit might melt, while the sensitive electrical circuitry in the control panel could be damaged. Problems such as these require major repairs or even an HVAC replacement.

We have a programmable thermostat but only use it manually. Fan is off unless we specifically turn it on.

Maybe someone on here that is experienced with HVAC/electrical stuff can say if this is BS or might not hurt? Would be nice to hear either way.

Last edited:
Live in North Florida in a concrete block house with tile floors and keep the temperature at 77 during the summer and 70 in the winter. That is as long as my wife leaves it alone.

Cheers!

winter/heating: 68 daytime, 60 bedtime

summer/cooling: 78 daytime, 76 bedtime

Yes, we like the temperature cooler at night. Particularly during the winter - bring on the comforter and the long sleeve pajamas.

I'd make it even cooler at bedtime in the summer if I didn't mind spending money on the electricity.

Dtail

In the summer time, we set thermostat higher at night so the AC doesn't kick in since we're sleeping and not as active. We only put on the AC if it's really humid out. If the humidity ain't bad, the whole fan is turned on to circulate the air. We get a monthly letter/report for our electric company, that we are one of the most efficient users of electricity for a house our size in our geographic area, and the house 35yo with original double pane aluminum framed windows!! Mind you, we are quite comfortable in the house!

In the summer time, we set thermostat higher at night so the AC doesn't kick in since we're sleeping and not as active. We only put on the AC if it's really humid out. If the humidity ain't bad, the whole fan is turned on to circulate the air. We get a monthly letter/report for our electric company, that we are one of the most efficient users of electricity for a house our size in our geographic area, and the house 35yo with original double pane aluminum framed windows!! Mind you, we are quite comfortable in the house!

Okay then.
My DGF loves the hot weather, but we still go to 75/76 at night.

Winter is 72/65. Summer is 75/68 with fans. Moving from house to apartment let’s us be comfort at a much lower cost.

I'm in Central Florida where we use A/C pretty much all year around. Our thermostat is set at 78 for cool day and night, but when it gets cold it's set at 69 for heat.

Ditto for the AC. Closed doors and windows when it gets cold. Turn on gas fireplace sometimes. Bedroom 68 at night thanks to mini split.

For main living area: 72 in winter, 74 in summer

For upstair playroom: 68 Winter, 77 summer

Our house is fairly well insulated, so neither heating nor cooling runs very long.

OFF. Its summer!

+1.
I live on a shady lot in the PNW. The dog days of summer last only a week or two around here. On those nights, I just take a cold shower before bed and sleep with a couple bags of ice. It keeps me cool enough.

+1.
I live on a shady lot in the PNW. The dog days of summer last only a week or two around here. On those nights, I just take a cold shower before bed and sleep with a couple bags of ice. It keeps me cool enough.

Does your significant other mind the bags of ice?

In the summertime, we keep the A/C set at 73. I used to keep it cooler, but as we have gotten older, I don’t like it quite as cool anymore. My son keeps his house around 65 or so. Recently, when we were keeping his two young sons overnight, his five year old turned to my wife and said “Grandma, do you have air conditioning in this house?” We both got a good chuckle out of that.

𝐖𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐢𝐭 𝐚𝐭 𝟕𝟕/ 𝟕𝟒 𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝟔𝟖/𝟔𝟓 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫 , 𝐰𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐢𝐭 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐨𝐥 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐞 𝐬𝐥𝐞𝐞𝐩

We set the heat to 60 year-round at night and all day ~July-~September. No AC here. Daytime setting during the colder months is ~65, unless the woodstove is going, then we leave the thermostat at 60.

we set the heat to 60 year-round at night and all day ~july-~september. No ac here. Daytime setting during the colder months is ~65, unless the woodstove is going, then we leave the thermostat at 60.

𝑾𝒆 𝒅𝒊𝒅 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂𝒄 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒘𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒂 𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒂 𝒓𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒅𝒂𝒚 𝒘𝒆 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒈𝒐𝒕 𝒉𝒐𝒕, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒘𝒆 𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 100𝒔 𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒆𝒓𝒕 𝒔𝒐 𝒊 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒌 𝒊 𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒃𝒆 𝒊𝒏 𝒂 𝒍𝒐𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒏𝒐 𝒂𝒄 𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝑳𝒐𝒍

It's supposed to hit 90°F for the first time this year over the weekend. DW and I chatted about this being the yearly AC test. Forecast says Saturday is 93 that may be our day.

^ We use our AC maybe couple times a year also. We get lows in 50's this time of year so things cool down nicely.

Heat set at 70 this year, it was 68 in the past.
Cool set at 79, may be i am too cheap, I may re-set it to 78.

Back
Top Bottom