What is your thermostat set at?

mountainsoft

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A post on the popcorn thread mentioned their homes temperature setting. I thought that was high, so I was curious what others have theirs set at.

We keep our thermostats set at 70 degrees in the living spaces, and 68 degrees in the bedroom.

We don't have air conditioning, but we're surrounded by fir trees which limits indoor temperatures to the mid to upper 70's on a sunny summer day.

71 degrees. We've had so much rain and cooler temps this spring. We invested in Eco HVAC system 5 years ago. Added a plasma air filter and April air humidifier. We run our house fan 24/7 to keep good circulation.

68 heat, 77 cool.

But honestly when it's 69 indoors I often go and tick it up to kick on and the cats give me that approving look.

We tend to stay on the cool side. When we lived in Silicon Valley, where California recommended 68 in the winter and 78 in the summer, we usually stayed with 64 in the winter (heating) and 74 in the summer (cooling).

Here in Central Texas, it's actually close to that. Usually 65-66 in the winter and 74 in the summer (70 at night when sleeping - we sleep better when cooler). In the spring, we seem to be at 73, mostly to get the AC to run occasionally to lower the indoor humidity level.

68 for heat, 76 for cool.

We get a lot of sun in winter so the 68 feels warm. We use our ceiling fans during summer and at night the temps drop so we often open the patio doors off the master.

We also have solar so our utility bill on average over the year is only about $30/month which is all gas. Electricity with our rebate is virtually free.

Our thermostat is set at 95F. The furnace is switched off though.

We keep the heat on 74° in daytime and 71° at night. We have AC and turn it on at least once every year. Nice change from KC where the AC ran from April to November.

Default setting is 72 for heat. Heat kicks down to 65 at night. Default for A/C is 73 by day and 70 at night.

We may tweak these by a degree or two during the day.

In Las Vegas where the humidity is 20% in summer, 40% in Winter...

66 degrees in winter (Dec-Feb), 76 degrees in summer (May-Oct) with cooling fans.

The low humidity makes a big difference to how hot/cold it feels

I'm in Central Florida where we use A/C pretty much all year around. Our thermostat is set at 78 for cool day and night, but when it gets cold it's set at 69 for heat.

67 heat, 61 overnight, 76 cool.

Heat - 68 during the day and 66 at night. I do find myself bumping up the temp during the day sometimes to 70.

Cooling - 76 ish. will bump it down sometimes and will let it go up to 78 if not too humid.

Heat: 69 day, 65 night
Cool: 74 day, sometimes a bit lower at night

68 for heat, 78 for cool. I live in Northern California and have solar. Have not had to pay the electric company a dime for over 6 years now.

Minneapolis, MN. Two story house built in 1979 with walkout basement. It gets cold here!

72 for heat; 77 for cool.

Man cave is in the finished basement and it does get cold down there. Wife likes it at 72 on main floor.

I sometimes have a little space heater I use in my basement home office.

Heat: 68 daytime, 62 night (used to put it at 58 at night, but that was starting to feel too cool)
AC: 75, but we use it only if daytime temp over 80-85 for several days, as we usually cool down well at night and leave windows open to cool the house then. Maybe 30 days a year if even that.
Otherwise the furnace/AC is off from about May to September.

We're in North Texas and have 4 HVAC systems. One of those is for a detached living area, which we hold at 49 in the winter and 90 in the summer unless we have guests staying there. That system gets very little use.

For the main house, all 3 systems are currently off as we're in the mild season when indoor temps stay around 70-75, which is quite comfortable. They usually stay off for most of April-May and Oct-Nov. We run ceiling fans to keep air moving.

In winter, we run the gas heaters at 70-71, except upstairs which stays at 55 unless we have guests. Natural gas is very cheap here, so energy costs in winter are quite reasonable.

Summers are brutal here. We run the ACs at 77-78, with upstairs at 85 unless we have guests. We run the master bedroom about 76 at night during the summer, which is more comfortable for sleeping.

I set my thermostat for comfort, since I think that's a good way to Blow That Dough now that I am growing older. It doesn't matter to me if it is winter or summer.

Usually my thermostat is set at around 72F, but can be anywhere between about 70-74 depending on what seems comfortable at that moment. Recall that I am a woman living alone, and so I can indulge in any/all of my desires to fiddle with the thermostat and nobody can stop me.

My average monthly electric (A/C) bill in 2019 was $65. My average monthly natural gas (heat) bill in 2019 was $36.

OK, no Lamborghini for me but I enjoy my little luxuries... :D

We set the heating at 75 for the Winter and cooling to around 75 other times of the year. Our comfort point doesn't change with the seasons. In the lower, sleeping zone the heat is set at 68 but rarely comes on. We have large South facing windows. During the middle of a sunny Winter day here outside Chicago, there is so much solar gain that we have to open windows to cool below 80 degrees.

The expensive part is when I turn on the electric heater to work in the garage.

Back
Top Bottom