Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was the youngest boy of five kids. By the time it was time for me to think about money there was no allowance, and money had run out for college. If I wanted to spend I had to make it. I started working about 12 selling cokes at Rice Stadium in Houston and worked ever since. I put myself through college on a scholarship, and LBMM until we retired. So there was no one event.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I was the youngest boy of five kids. By the time it was time for me to think about money there was no allowance, and money had run out for college. If I wanted to spend I had to make it. I started working about 12 selling cokes at Rice Stadium in Houston and worked ever since. I put myself through college on a scholarship, and LBMM until we retired. So there was no one event.
The common thread event for many of us is growing up poor and having to make it on your own with no family financial or guidance help. That sets in at an early age.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #83
Dryer sheet aficionado

Living in poverty with disorganized and nonmobile adults in charge. Realizing from a very young age 6yrs old this is not my forever reality. Learning the how- hard work, persistence, determination along with education and self control w the money-lessons learned over time (no one is going to help you, or do it for you). From selling candy to string, or bracelets to whatever the 8yr old consumer would buy from my locker to working on the books the day of my 16th bday 1st official day I could. Pursuing a degree in a marketable field healthcare- spurred on by taking care of my disabled brother from the age of 6 and realizing I need $$$$$ to take care of myself and him when my mom dies. Faith and hope in Christ from my youth that this journey was leading to some place better-and it was!
Penny6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Terrific thread. Thanks for starting it, OP!

My family members were not nice people. My parents and most white people in my childhood town were racist. Then came mandatory desegregation and bussing. I thought it was an adventure and liked it.

The town didn’t. There were race riots including police using tear gas in my high school to quell violence by students and parents.

I hated people being treated so badly. I was furious at the injustice and powerless to do anything about it as a kid.

But I loved school and a few high school teachers took me under their wings. They helped me apply for a foreign exchange scholarship and I went to Scandinavia. The school I attended had students from different parts of the world.

That trip changed my life. I learned that there were people who embraced different races and cultures as well as people who chose what kind of lives they wanted to lead and then made them happen. I saw people working together instead of fighting.

I went back to my old high school and started doing volunteer work. My teachers helped me apply for college scholarships and I was awarded one at my favorite teacher’s alma mater: one of the nation’s top private women’s colleges.

I’ve done lots of volunteer work every year since age 25, mostly to further educational opportunities for girls, minorities, and poor kids.
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #85

Spent most of my life struggling against hidden obstacles. Childhood fundamentalism/indoctrination, ADHD, being fairly poor. Just becoming aware of these things allowed me to begin to overcome them. Unfortunately the awareness came late.

If I have anything to attribute my current relative success to, it would be:

1 - Not being born a minority.
2 - marrying up.

tl;dr - I've been lucky so far
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #86

TimeMeasure stated:
Quote:
And from an unexpected positive remark from a teacher, one can take a measure of inner comfort that can last through darker times and have a disproportionate effect on later life. We were not Catholic, but were sent to Catholic school. Most of the teachers were nuns, but one of the teachers there was a gruff, no-nonsense older German man. All the kids were a little afraid of him. His name was the one mentioned whenever other teachers wanted to invoke discipline in the kids. He was serious, not given to joking or to compliments, and his name was not one that came to mind when one thought of kindness.

One day in class, cannot even recall why, maybe as a comment on something written as an assignment, he said aloud to the class, almost as an off-hand remark, "[TimeMeasure] is a wild rose." It was so unexpected, and so completely out of character, that it registered deeply, and I remembered it from time to time in coming years. For many of us, the experience of being seen, really seen, as we really are, particularly by a stranger, is very rare. It felt like that had happened. Someone had seen something, in a young creature, and had found it good. That memory lingered, and made it easier to persevere through the extended periods of conflict and combat in later years, with a measure of perspective.
This made me tear up. You are so right. It was a beautiful comment and I can see why it has stuck in your memory. So many of us as adults forget how much such things can matter to a child.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
TimeMeasure stated:
This made me tear up. You are so right. It was a beautiful comment and I can see why it has stuck in your memory. So many of us as adults forget how much such things can matter to a child.

Or to an adult...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #88

Well, being suddenly and viciously physically attacked by a counselor who I admired and respected when I was away at a summer camp at age 12 has certainly affected the rest of my life, especially in the area of social relations. The best way to think of the effect on my life is in term of cat socialization: a "properly" socialized cat will eagerly approach a stranger with tail in the air, a mildly traumatized / partially socialized cat will be aloof and distrustful for quite some time before becoming comfortable with a stranger, and a completely feral / unsocialized cat will permanently shy away from humans. I fall into the middle category. I am quite comfortable with my rather extreme introversion, and I've long since given up trying to make the extreme extroverts understand what it's like to be me.

Some interesting background:
• the mental trauma associated with the attack I experienced (there was no physical injury - I ran like hell from my attacker and escaped) was so overwhelming that I repressed the memory of the event for 5 years. The story of how I "recovered" this memory is rather amazing for students of the human mind. I still can't believe it actually happened. Maybe I should write a book someday.
• there was a period quite a few years ago when all sorts of troubled people were coming forward claiming to have "recovered" repressed memories with the help of therapists / counselors. I was and am skeptical of these claims. In my opinion, memory repression / recovery can occur in only very special (and thus highly uncommon) situations. Memory repression / recovery has been out of the news for quite a few years now; I haven't googled the topic to find out how mainstream psychology views this topic.

I don't think about this part of my life very often, but it's probably good for me to do so. No human child should ever have to experience what I did, but (sadly) traumatic events happen all the time, and some of them happen to children.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:59 PM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

While I wasn't exactly a kid but a sophomore in college (age 19), a small thing became a turning point in my academic success in college back in the 1980s.

I had struggled in my freshman year at NYU. I nearly flunked a liberal arts course (one I actually was interested in) and had dropped a few others, giving back the AP credits I had earned in high school. But I had also become depressed at the list of courses in liberal arts areas I had no real interest in. NYU had expanded their liberal arts program the year I got there.

I learned that I could apply for a transfer to NYU's business school whose liberal arts requirements were far less than in the liberal arts school, in exchange for many required business oriented courses I felt I could handle. As I applied for a transfer which was still pending as I began my sophomore year, I began taking some courses freshmen usually took so I would not fall behind when it came to pre-requisite courses taken by upper classmen.

One of those courses was a basic Macro-Economics course, a course I felt I should be able to ace. However, I was struggling halfway through the semester, getting a B on the midterm exam. The instructor, a grad student from Sweden, had a brief chat with me after the midterm and told me, "You can still get an A in the course."

I somehow found that very motivating and studied very hard the rest of the way, revamping my study habits to ace the final exam and get an A in the course. The internal transfer to the business school was accepted and I was well on my way to a successful time in college.

I still had some more hurdles to overcome before I was done at NYU, but a big turning point in my college years was that little thing the Economics instructor told me and how it motivated me to ace that course. I would go on to ace the next 5 economics courses I took as an eventual Econ major and earn an award. Without that first A, I would not have won that award.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote