Join Early Retirement Today

what online software is the best for more than basic
Old 02-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what online software is the best for more than basic

I was wondering which online software that any of you might be using that can handle schedule c, schedule se, 1099, and depreciation? which ones do you use/recommend? I was looking for free efile that could handle these forms. are there any available?
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use TurboTax, which does support those forms. While I'm not sure, I suspect that for the schedules that you have you would probably need to buy it as I suspect the free version probably doesn't support those schedules.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

For TurboTax, here is the link for their product line comparison

TurboTax® - Compare TurboTax Products
Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #4

I have been using Turbo Tax since mid 90's. I use the Deluxe edition. Never had any issues and the improvements over the years have been great. I have used sched c, se, 1099's, sched e and a variety of others and all are pretty much a breeze. Plus, it will roll info over to next year's edition which will really cut down on input time.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #5

rockymtn: does it cover rental property deductions? just wanted to know if the deluxe edition covered rental property?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #6

yes...mortgage interest, repairs, advertising, maintenence, etc. They have a Premier version that's a bit more expensive that does even more if you have significant number of rental properties but for my single rental the deluxe version works fine.

TurboTax® Tax Preparation Software, FREE Tax Filing, Efile Taxes, Income Tax Returns&
Old 02-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Back in the day the TT progam would uninstall itself (at your command) after you completed your taxes. However, for the past several years TT highly recommends that you keep the TT program for each year (in addition to copies of your return and worksheets) on your PC after filing taxes.

This feature came in very handy for me recently when I had to file amended returns for 3 prior years. TT retained my completed forms,which could be updated, and the rules in effect for those years. I had to mail in the amended returns. Could not E-file.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
Back in the day the TT progam would uninstall itself (at your command) after you completed your taxes. However, for the past several years TT highly recommends that you keep the TT program for each year (in addition to copies of your return and worksheets) on your PC after filing taxes.

This feature came in very handy for me recently when I had to file amended returns for 3 prior years. TT retained my completed forms,which could be updated, and the rules in effect for those years. I had to mail in the amended returns. Could not E-file.
I wonder why they can't make it backwards compatible, in other words if I have the 2010 version of TT and my TT income tax return files from 2009, 2008, etc that I could then do an amended return for any of those years. That would sure beat taking up hard drive space with the TT program for numerous years.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #9

I use TT online through Vanguard, in the cloud if I recall they have my returns from 1996 in pdf files. I have the original TT disc from 1995 that appears to open all my older than dirt .TAX files.
grasshopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski

I wonder why they can't make it backwards compatible, in other words if I have the 2010 version of TT and my TT income tax return files from 2009, 2008, etc that I could then do an amended return for any of those years. That would sure beat taking up hard drive space with the TT program for numerous years.
Most of the space used by the tax programs are the year-specific forms and the form-specific scripts that drive them. The TurboTax program in particular is sort of like a spreadsheet app, loading the form scripts and running each of them to present the user interface and do he data collection and math to generate completed forms. There's a new version of the TurboTax engine every year to go along with the forms, which contains both bug fixes, and new capabilities to support enhancements in the scripts needed for new tax code changes.

If the tax code, IRS interpretations, and form sets would stay put for a few years the authors of the software could make the whole thing backwards compatible. Alas, the tax code is written in a language that doesn't support machine verification, and is not provably correct. That means the software is constantly chasing the latest changes in law, regulations, IRS rulings, and findings. (On several occasions the engineers working on TurboTax have uncovered circular dependencies in the forms. Tax calculation via iteration and prayer that the parameter set is always bounded to a convergent series!)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Even if you file the free federal form , they all charge for the state form and I noticed that tax act was a little less than turbo tax.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #12

I often wonder about having all my personal information on cyberspace. Doesn't it bother you guys to have your info out there year after year? don't you worry about the companies being hacked and the info stolen?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I often wonder about having all my personal information on cyberspace. Doesn't it bother you guys to have your info out there year after year? don't you worry about the companies being hacked and the info stolen?
That's one reason why I do not do my taxes online. My tax data is stored on a drive that is disconnected when I'm online.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
As for myself? No.

There are many ways to steal your personal info and easier than trying to get to an online encrypted file.

I would be more concerned about the person at the IRS that may review your form, filed on-line or hardcopy than some third party person. Here's an example of a government employee from another agency doing that exact thing:

Veriphyr: Social Security Employee Steals Personal Information for Identity Theft

And if you're a cheap old b*stard like me who dosen't want to pay for a stamp, using mail (which can be stolen from my curb mailbox and any checks can be washed - see: Check washing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) and uses on-line facilities to pay bills and transfer funds (both investment and bank) for many years, you get over the fear of somebody stealing your information.

Heck, a lot of info gets obtained from your trash if you're not careful; the reason why I put anything with my name through a home shreader before I put it in the trash.

Just my POV...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
That's one reason why I do not do my taxes online. My tax data is stored on a drive that is disconnected when I'm online.
Don't get me wrong, what you are doing is a good practice.

But the first thing the IRS does with your paper forms is enter the data into a computer. They are getting most 1099's and w2's electronically.

For some people, just googling their name can be a real eye-opener.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote