What Pastimes Are Fading/Failing With Aging Boomers?

DW mentioned home cooking/baking. Remember this thread was about what pastimes will fade or disappear when Boomers aren't around to support them, not what Boomers are supporting. You often see couples on HGTV and other shows who admit they don't cook at all (some curiously adamant about "needing" an upscale kitchen), they just warm things up. I've seen young couples who've said all they need is a fridge and a microwave. But maybe cooking will make a comeback if median incomes remain flat/down?

I think the trend away from home cooking may have peaked. Apart from cost, people are becoming much more aware of all the undesirable ingredients in processed food and more interested in buying local produce and eating healthy. The myriad of well presented YouTube cooking channels show that cooking is not rocket science and doesn't necessarily take much extra time, or even a "gourmet" kitchen.

Peapod Predicts 2017 Will Be The Year Of The Home Cook

Survey Finds Home Cooking Is Becoming Increasingly Popular

https://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/consumer-insights/cooking-trends-among-millennials/

DW mentioned home cooking/baking. Remember this thread was about what pastimes will fade or disappear when Boomers aren't around to support them, not what Boomers are supporting. You often see couples on HGTV and other shows who admit they don't cook at all (some curiously adamant about "needing" an upscale kitchen), they just warm things up. I've seen young couples who've said all they need is a fridge and a microwave. But maybe cooking will make a comeback if median incomes remain flat/down?

But I don't think cooking will fade as a pastime. I think what you are describing is cooking as an everyday chore.

And cooking as a pastime is likely to be more common among higher incomes I would think - they have time and want to seek out higher quality ingredients and tools and techniques? Lower income just need to get a meal on the table.

When you talk about cooking if incomes fall, it seems to me you aren't talking about 'pastimes', you are talking about 'chores'?

From your OP:

Golf? Sailing/Boating? Tennis? Country Clubs? Harley-Davidsons? Corvettes? Other?

Those are all hobby/pastimes, right? Cooking meals everyday isn't a pastime for most people, I don't think, but a chore. Your comment to "Remember this thread was about what pastimes will fade or disappear... " seems confusing then. Are you talking about pastimes, or just stuff we have to do going away (vacuuming, cleaning the litter box, shoveling the driveway?)?

-ERD50

I loved building toys. I had Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs, and even an AstroLite (not really for building, more for the decorative effect.

The Erector Set was the Holy Grail, but, like chemistry sets that I also coveted, that was "for boys." I don't think my parents were being sexist, so much as they didn't want me going around telling people "my parents said they couldn't afford it." "Just for boys" was still socially acceptable when I was a kid.

When I was very young, I spent hours playing with my wooden trains. I guess they still exist, but the trains are painted now, they were bare wood in my day. My Mom would [-]bribe[/-] take me to the store and buy me one piece of track when I was good. I probably didn't have much track...

When I got a little older I had an Erector Set, Lincoln Logs and American Bricks. NOW that I think about it, that's probably why I ended up becoming an engineer. :blush:

51stt0A7KsL._SY300_.jpg

erector-set.jpg

zg-019_2z.jpg

il_fullxfull.316877377.jpg

Here's one I bet you've never even heard of ... amateur telescope making, in particular mirror making.

A real shame - I still have a complete set of Amateur Telescope Making by Albert Ingalls. This was something of the bible of the process WAY back in the day - 1940's.

I want to do this in ER!

I have my trusty old Sam Brown book, "All About Telescopes" and want to finish what I started in the 70s. I ground my mirror and tried to foucault test it to parabola, but I really didn't know what I was doing. College came along, and that was that. Edmunds isn't around anymore. About 15 years ago I got the itch to reopen the project, found a source, called them, and they were going out of business and couldn't help me.

I grew up in Chicago and you could go down to the planetarium and finish your mirror. Today, you go to the planetarium to pay a large parking fee. :( No more amatuers grinding away, while the crowd watches. Oh well.

I think with the "Maker" thing going on, stuff like this will re-surge. I still want to do it and I'm sure I'll find a source somewhere. (A quick search shows there are some sources.)

I loved building toys. I had Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs, and even an AstroLite (not really for building, more for the decorative effect.

The Erector Set was the Holy Grail, but, like chemistry sets that I also coveted, that was "for boys." I don't think my parents were being sexist, so much as they didn't want me going around telling people "my parents said they couldn't afford it." "Just for boys" was still socially acceptable when I was a kid.
+1, I had Tinker Toys too, I'd forgotten. Thanks!

My parents forbade chemistry sets for safety reasons and vetoed Erector Sets for sexist reasons. Instead, I got Lego, which became my favourite toy. Every time I won a prize for singing, or whatever, or got good marks on a test, I would get more Lego. I loved building and decided I wanted to be an architect when I grew up. That didn't work out, but that's another story. Lego continues to be very popular and as of 2015 became the world's most powerful brand (according to Wikipedia).

I remember building my stereo amp and pre-amp front a dynaco kit, which ended up being pretty good quality components. Don't recall seeing such kits anymore, although they could be out there.

One thing I could do in the kitchen without thinking since I was twelve is whip up a nice white sauce (a little fancier and it becomes a bechamel). My accomplished DD who doesn't really cook has no idea what a white sauce is; my DIL and DS who cook a lot and very healthily would never make something like that.

Of course, most churches include a choir, organ, and often more instrumentation. But it is traditionally used to augment the message. In these places, the production seems to be larger the the message. JMO.

DW and I visited a church in Paradise. We were loving the songs (real "hymns" - not contemporary "chants" - but that's another story.) Folks were actually singing 4 part harmony. I elbowed DW and said "Do you notice anything?" She answered "Yeah, it's just like 40 years ago." I pushed the issue "Anything else?" to which she shrugged. So I waited to the end of the service to point out that there wasn't an instrument in the place - not even a tuning fork or perfect-pitched harmonica to get everyone on the same key. It was non-instrumental and they had the best singing I'd ever heard. Go figure! YMMV

We attended with some friends once, decades ago when it was merely humongous. I'm not religious, so wasn't expecting to be 'moved', but figured I might get something out of it. At the time (and probably today), it seemed much more of a 'show' and 'production' than anything deeply spiritual. I was not impressed, but it obviously attracts a crowd.

Of course, most churches include a choir, organ, and often more instrumentation. But it is traditionally used to augment the message. In these places, the production seems to be larger the the message. JMO.

-ERD50[

Does seem like churches can't win with certain people. I think many churches have tried to change to be more contemporary in their worship by singing more updated songs and using instruments. These are things people seem to desire for a more modern worship experience. However, it opens up the criticism they are all show, no sincerity, and have lost their anchor. Of course churches who either don't change or are slow to change are criticized for being mired in the past with foolish traditions.

I think people who want to attend church will find one that offers services to their likings whatever they may be. Those who have no desire to attend will also find churches to their liking that help solidify their desires to never attend.

The pastime of discourse is failing. Things like staying on topic, adding to discussion, respecting other opinions.
I both laughed and cringed at this. :) :(

I love this site, but one thing that gotten under my skin is when people ask: "I have this problem with 'X', what can I do?" And the first answer is, "Oh, I don't have 'X' problem because I planned better and work for 'Y' which provides that, so I'm good."

What? No discourse. But then again, my post is doing the same thing. So, my post is another example...

As a kid I had an Erector Set. Remember those things? It included metal plates, girders, and wheels which you screwed together with little screws and nuts. There was also a motor in one of the more advanced sets. It gave me some good practice following diagrams to assemble things, like any of those assemble-yourself things you buy at Ikea, for example.

Yeah, we had Dad's old set, which had the motor. (Dad is 86 now.) I didn't have a lot of patience with it- liked to build, but a real PITA to take things apart so you could build something new. We also had Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs.

Dad built a stereo system from a kit, and built a Sunfish sailboat in the basement that was a challenge to get out once it was completed (left a little blue paint on one wall). One of my brothers got all the engineer genes- in retirement he makes beautiful furniture, and he's got a state-of-the-art workroom with all of his power tools connected to a giant vacuum unit to suck away all the sawdust.

I've been involved in trying to stem the decline in sailing and golf where I live, and it's not gone well. Right or wrong, the reasons given are:

• less disposable income nowadays, golf and boating are more expensive than they used to be (relatively)
  • outdated rules & structure (with exceptions, an acute and totally unnecessary problem with golf & sailing IMO)
  • fewer two parents households
  • where families used to do some activities together, kids grow out of that much younger these days - would rather be caught dead than with Mom & Dad outside the house
  • way more competing activities now, sailing & golf don't have a chance with younger generations up against snowboarding, skateboarding, BMX, and many
    others, etc.
  • being outside doing anything is less common today, edged out by social media & gaming in more cases
  • many of the old pastimes take too long (all day), move too slow
  • and mostly if you've seen yacht and golf country clubs median age lately, why would anyone younger than 50 want to hang out there
IME a majority of Boomers are hastening the path to oblivion for golf and sailing by trying to "uphold tradition" and resist any real attempts to change to attract younger generations. The changes they support are poorly implemented window dressing more often than not, and yet declining participation is one of the most common topics for conversation...

I haven't read through the thread entirely yet but in your last statement on boomers resisting change and having impacts on traditions. I am one of the younger boomers but I truly believe your observations and it's not just specific to golf and sailing.

I haven't read through the thread entirely yet but in your last statement on boomers resisting change and having impacts on traditions. I am one of the younger boomers but I truly believe your observations and it's not just specific to golf and sailing.
I think there is a lot to that.

The golf problem is somewhat complex. The boom-bust cycle has multiple causes. Here are a few:

• Trend to golf courses in housing complexes
  • Requiring a cart (many times because of above)
  • Equipment making long hits easier
  • Emphasis on the drive, not the short game
  • What happened to pitch and run?
  • What's a par 3 course?
I guess in essence, this streeetched out the courses and the game play. Golf went from 4 hours walking to 5 hours carting. The boomers caused this change! So although I agree a lot with idea that boomers are resistant, I also think they changed the game especially early in their generation.

I'd like to see a change back to shorter courses, and more par 3s. Par 3s were a growing movement in my parent's generation, and then died when the boomers wanted to do nothing but hit 300 yard drives. Maybe it is time to look back.

The "next" generations don't mind living compactly, why not playing compactly? In general, the concept of a golf course community is not their thing. Additionally, our aging generation might benefit from WALKING a par 3, and not having to bomb every drive.

Formidable project reading through so many hundred posts... haven't made it yet, so... just to add some kids' stuff from the early days.

Grammar school early 1940's:

School dandle
Stoop tag
Flashlight tag
Cowboys and indians "No shooties behind bushes"
Marbles...Agates... Clearies... "Bunny in the hole"
Chestnuts (Horsechestnuts)
Lincoln Logs
Pick-up-sticks
Capture the flag
Flip Fingers
Italian fingers... " deuce, octo, chingway"
Hits or Raps... very painful
Pig Pile
Hop Scotch (Played with the girls, when the boys weren't around)
Chicken (don't ask)
London Bridge
Ring around the rosie, pocket full of posies
Eenie meanie miney mo...
Cards...tips, leanies, covers, Airplanes... Us and German Silhouettes forID.
Hoodsies (cup covers for Hoods' Ice cream) Movie Star collector Pictures
Squirt... punch a hole in the soda bottle and spray your friends
Draw a magic circle

If I asked my DW, she'd be able to add a few dozen more... from the girlie side.

I think there is a lot to that.

• Equipment making long hits easier
Where can I buy this type of equipment?? If my drive makes it over 175 yards or my hybrids make it over 120 it is a miracle. :)

The other issue is the number of folks living alone where cooking is in general harder, picking up something to heat makes it easier, and with the higher end groceries expanding the variety of frozen dishes makes the decision easier.
So consider the living alone singles as well as they are becoming a bigger piece of the population.

The pastime of discourse is failing. Things like staying on topic, adding to discussion, respecting other opinions
I both laughed and cringed at this. :) :(
+2. I'd only add it seems the quality of discourse has declined. There's plenty of discussion still, but fewer participants that know much about the topic at hand. It used to be you kept quiet when you didn't have anything to 'add to the discussion.' Nowadays more people feel they're experts if they've seen a few sound bites, their views are just parroting others and strongly defending the view even though they know little about it...

+2. I'd only add it seems the quality of discourse has declined. There's plenty of discussion still, but fewer participants that know much about the topic at hand. It used to be you kept quiet when you didn't have anything to 'add to the discussion.' Nowadays more people feel they're experts if they've seen a few sound bites, their views are just parroting others and strongly defending the view even though they know little about it...
That's a decent summary of our human predicament. As we prosper, we project more and more of what we think is best for all.

I also see it as much more noise to contend with.

+1

For me, I always (attempt to) stress that any observations I present are from my personal experiences, and are not intended to be representative of the topic at large.

Seems to me that good enunciation is a lost form of speech. I notice this especially when watching Twilight Zone reruns and in the old movies, where you could clearly understand everything that was being said. It probably also goes for plots that are understandable as well.

Yes, even in the 70s I used to do a lot of phone patches for folks in Antarctica.

Alas, I've used amateur radio hardly at all in recent years.
Even in the 70s? Flying across the Atlantic on the C-5 we often would dial up some hammers on the HF to get phone patches back home...and this was as recent as 2010...I assume some folks still do it.

I remember building my stereo amp and pre-amp front a dynaco kit, which ended up being pretty good quality components. Don't recall seeing such kits anymore, although they could be out there.
I lost track of how many Heathkits I built over the years. They were a lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom