Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Our new neighbours, who are avid golfers, tell me that two of the courses that they frequent have actually lost money in each of the past two years.
I just read that the golf courses that the city of Ventura , CA are losing money also
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I just read that the golf courses that the city of Ventura , CA are losing money also
Many courses around here that used to be private or semi-private with membership waiting lists and initiation fees are now actively pursuing new members at reduced rates. A lot of them have also greatly reduced or dropped the initiation fee.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #283
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I lost track of how many Heathkits I built over the years. They were a lot of fun.
Ditto! Besides all the stereo gear, I built some nice automotive test tools.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #284

Anyone remember the toys you used to get in cereal . or if you sent so many box tops you would get a prize . . I remember getting a submarine , on the box it looked huge when I got it , it was about 4 inches long.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:32 PM   #285
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Anyone remember the toys you used to get in cereal . or if you sent so many box tops you would get a prize . . I remember getting a submarine , on the box it looked huge when I got it , it was about 4 inches long.
Good memory. I had a small plastic Nautilus sub you filled up with baking soda and it sunk in the bathtub, then the dissolving baking soda gas lifted it to the surface. I was about 8 years old then and played with that sub for hours.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:56 PM   #286
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I mentioned golf earlier as have many others. Today I got a good look at the demographic at a local course. The siren went off part way through our round due to lightening and everyone had to leave the course until it was safe.

We ended up in the restaurant with around 60 people. I'm 55 and my friend is 54. We think there were only 3 or 4 golfers younger than us, and at least 20 of them were well into their 70's. No one under 40 at all. Now, a part of that could be because it was a weekday, but the lack of young people taking up the game must be cause for concern to clubs trying to pay the bills.
I live in a golf Mecca and play at two different courses. The one closest to me (on Aboriginal land) has a very active Juniors program. Two years ago it hosted the Provincial Junior championship. The holes are relatively short, but challenging, making it accessible to amateur golfers without very powerful drives. It's very scenic, full of interesting wildlife and extremely well kept. Most years it is rated the top course in the area. It's a hive of activity. I'm sure the owners are making a nice profit.

It's called competitive advantage.

I'm very fortunate to live 4 minutes away!

http://www.twoeaglesgolf.com
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:23 PM   #287
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Many courses around here that used to be private or semi-private with membership waiting lists and initiation fees are now actively pursuing new members at reduced rates. A lot of them have also greatly reduced or dropped the initiation fee.
Heh, heh, kinda sweet isn't it?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #288
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Good memory. I had a small plastic Nautilus sub you filled up with baking soda and it sunk in the bathtub, then the dissolving baking soda gas lifted it to the surface. I was about 8 years old then and played with that sub for hours.
I had one of those ! You probably also had a decoder ring .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #289
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
I saved box tops from Grapenuts and was able to get a small plastic boat that looked like a wooden Chris Craft. Tiny, but seemed kind of cool at the time.

DW and I both recall getting 1 square inch of Alaska - I wish I recalled what I did with the deed. Additionally, I got a small pouch of "pay dirt" from Alaska that supposedly contained gold, though I never panned it (nor found any gold.) No idea what happened to it either.

I suppose with today's toys, games, electronics, etc. such items would hold no interest for youngsters. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:32 AM   #290
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Heh, heh, kinda sweet isn't it?
Don't get me wrong...I like the discounted prices ($36 for 2 of us to play yesterday), but that's not sustainable.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:34 AM   #291
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don't get me wrong...I like the discounted prices ($36 for 2 of us to play yesterday), but that's not sustainable.
The prices rises of the 90s were no sustainable either. Pretty much killed my interest. Maybe it is time to get back into it.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

I had it too. Fun toy.