Join Early Retirement Today

What Pastimes Are Fading/Failing With Aging Boomers?
Old 06-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What Pastimes Are Fading/Failing With Aging Boomers?

I don't even go to dollar theatre anymore. Not as appealing.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It's easy to be fooled as to the broader trends, I've been involved in several proof by exception debates on other forums. ...
Yep. Don't know if it is subtly ironic or not, but one of our expensive hipsterish bar/restaurants in Nashville has both Bocce Courts and 6 bowling lanes. https://www.pinewoodsocial.com/play-enjoy/ Based on our visits, they are popular enough; but that doesn't a trend make...
Old 06-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
May be something of a small niche activity, but Hang Gliding has been dying a slow death since its heyday in the 1970s and 80s. From a peak of 30,000+ pilots with an average age of about 30 it's devolved over the last 30-35 years to fewer than 5000 averaging over 55. Give it another 20 years and it'll be gone.
Do your numbers include the more modern sport of paragliding? Also paramotor is new. I have no idea about the trend is sport light flying, but it seems to be holding it's own or maybe even growing.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #44

I can see why movie attendance is down - we go to a movie about once a decade. The last one was The Martian and we were the only ones in the theater. That theater is overpriced, and DW won't go to the one that is reasonably priced because she thinks it looks ratty.

A hobby of mine was building and flying radio control model airplanes, the kind that one built from a kit of balsa and light plywood, and covered with Monokote (a heat-shrink plastic covering) or tissue and dope. They are usually powered with glow engines that burn mostly alcohol but electric power has matured to the point that many larger airplanes are now electric. They still make kits, but sales are way down and ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) has become the norm. I'm a member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics and almost every issue of the magazine has a column or article about declining membership.

I no longer build airplanes but I do fly small foam models that weigh between 1.5 and 3 oz. in the back yard. These come complete out of the box and all that needs to be done is charge the battery and set up the radio for that model.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It's easy to be fooled as to the broader trends, I've been involved in several proof by exception debates on other forums. There are many exceptions of course - sailing is way off, but it's still popular with the wealthy. Same with country/yacht clubs, the upper tier clubs still have (wealthy) waiting lists but upper middle class and lower tier clubs are struggling or closed. With sailing and clubs both, there are some younger members at elite clubs, but many are there primarily to connect with moneyed older members or carrying on family tradition.
I would concur with both or your observations. I'm personally aware of several clubs both golf and boating that 20-30 years ago ran long wait lists, and today offer join now specials. Even the upper tier like New York Yacht Club in Newport, seems to be going slightly down ladder for membership these days.

I hypothesize it is tied to the stagnation of upper middle class, and too many people tied to their computers. There was a significant mega economic trend that took place through the late 60's into the mid 80's. It was the boom of the dual income household, which led to a surge in the upper middle class with a significant disposable income. This resulted in many finding themselves able to afford the "club" experience. The tail end of which is now in their mid 60's to late 70's. This group had huge economic opportunity and rising incomes. This created an inflationary bubble which is presently deflating.

Those in their 40's to early 60's grew up in a time where 2 incomes is no longer a bonus, catapulting them into the upper class, but a necessity in many cases, to prevent them from falling into the lower class. Hence you have a contraction in the upper middle income group.

So the present day 40 year old needs 3-4 incomes to achieve what used to be accomplished with just 2. Furthermore the college bump has almost completely been wiped out by the increased cost of attendance.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Do your numbers include the more modern sport of paragliding? Also paramotor is new. I have no idea about the trend is sport light flying, but it seems to be holding it's own or maybe even growing.
My numbers were just for hang gliding (HG). Paragliding (PG) is a newer sport and thus the average pilots are younger. At present there are similar numbers of HG and PG pilots in the US (though the PG population relative to HG is much higher in Europe). Also the number of PG pilots is still growing while the HG population has been in decline for decades.

In keeping with the original topic I guess PG is more of a Gen-X/Millennial sport where HG is more firmly identified with the Boomers, so I expect HG to slowly die out (as we Boomers do) while PG will handily outlast us.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:42 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Running. I can finally walk on a public path without being shoved aside by panting, sweating men trying to Beat their Personal Bests (or whatever it was that was more important than courtesy).
Really? I'm seeing more and more participation in running races these days.

No excuse for getting shoved or even bumped on public paths. They are for everyone, at any speed.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

In some of the hobbies I have been involved in for say the past 30 yrs or so the participation and enthusiasm has dropped off considerably. Two come to mind; antique (acoustical) phonographs and military firearms (pre 1960 or so).

In each, many of the once popular and BIG collector clubs have folded. Of course, the available supply of old phonographs has really dried up due to the fact that most estates and families that may have had some for sale are now gone. The prices for anything really collectable are out of the reach of most younger folks, and I suppose they are just not interested in old "junk".

Military firearms are no longer imported in any great quantities, and what is available on the retail market today is mostly scratch and dent grade. New NFA weapons haven't been added to the available pool since 1986, and the prices are astronomical; plus, the transfer process is now taking nearly a year. Unless you're buying one for an investment it's not worth the wait.

I'm sure many other collecting hobbies are experiencing similar supply vs demand issues which just turns off new prospects.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

writing letters has declined
Old 06-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I have mourned the rapid decline of general aviation. The reasons are great and varied, but it has really become a rich-man's hobby. One of greatest material possession I ever owned was an airplane. But...it was an expensive hobby, and living on the fringes of the world's busiest airports really sapped the fun and joy out of it. It wasn't too long ago that it uncommon for folks to own airplanes and use them to commute to work, but that really doesn't happen too much anymore.

As to scuba diving, I did enjoy this at one time, but too many hours of flying wrecked my eardrums, so no more diving for me.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I have mourned the rapid decline of general aviation. The reasons are great and varied, but it has really become a rich-man's hobby. One of greatest material possession I ever owned was an airplane. But...it was an expensive hobby...
Yes, looking back, one of the most fun times in my life was buying a Piper Tri-Pacer, just barely affordable for me at age 25. The longest trip I ever took with it was to Oshkosh in 1976, and that was a blast. I pitched a tent under the wing and the wake-up alarm at 6:00 AM every day was a 727 at takeoff thrust about 50 yards away.

I only had it two years but what a fun period that was!
Old 06-26-2017, 01:30 PM   #52

I am seeing the decline in motorcycling , DW and I both have bikes but seldom ride . Even when we do you don't see the people like we used to . We belong to the worlds largest riders club ( world wide ) and here in Houston we probably only get maybe 15 riders to show up on a special event . You go back 10 years we would over 100 riders.

What are people doing anymore, is it just the available cash is not there or is it time ??
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post
Military firearms are no longer imported in any great quantities, and what is available on the retail market today is mostly scratch and dent grade. New NFA weapons haven't been added to the available pool since 1986, and the prices are astronomical; plus, the transfer process is now taking nearly a year. Unless you're buying one for an investment it's not worth the wait.
_B
My business partner who is a boomer is massively into collecting antique firearms (mostly WW1 and pre WW1). It is still a big hobby in Canada with lots of well used forums. He tells me they are still importing stuff here that can't be/isn't imported to the US and the prices here are very low in comparison. He has shown me mint condition Mausers, for instance, at incredibly (to me) low prices. He collects them primarily for the historical aspects and can tell some pretty amazing stories about his collection that includes tales from the Russian revolution, the Winter War and the Ottoman conflicts.

However, he still rollerblades and windsurfs, both of which I make fun of for being passe.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:34 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yes, looking back, one of the most fun times in my life was buying a Piper Tri-Pacer, just barely affordable for me at age 25. The longest trip I ever took with it was to Oshkosh in 1976, and that was a blast. I pitched a tent under the wing and the wake-up alarm at 6:00 AM every day was a 727 at takeoff thrust about 50 yards away.

I only had it two years but what a fun period that was!
I still would very much like to do Oshkosh in a "little" plane. I had the good fortune to be a participant when flying the C-5 but none of the excitement. I don't think the air controllers would want to squeeze us in with the smaller VFR arrivals!
Old 06-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Film photography.
Just this weekend I filled out a form to ship/sell quite a few of my older film cameras to a very popular online buyer (based in GA). Part of the reason is to raise cash for a top of the line digital camera, and the reason for that is that the best digital cameras now have much better resolving power than any film camera. (Yes, the look can be/is different, that's another argument...) At 20 bucks minimum per roll for trustworthy developing of odd film formats (120 film), I just can't justify it anymore. Plus, my children just don't care and never got the film bug (even though it's become slightly trendy lately).
Oh well,...
dadu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #56
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
writing letters has declined
Tell me about it. I'm currently cleaning out letter piles from grandmother and Uncle. They go back to 1957. Interesting to read some of the family history from the little I can glean from one sided writing.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck_Club View Post
Tell me about it. I'm currently cleaning out letter piles from grandmother and Uncle. They go back to 1957. Interesting to read some of the family history from the little I can glean from one sided writing.
*Somewhat* related, but I have read that old-school typewriters are now "a thing". As a matter of fact, for the low, LOW price of$400, you can get an Bluetooth model...

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop...rtment%26Music
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (81.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 06-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

One pastime/hobby that's bucking the trend of this thread is RVing. The economic recovery combined with relatively cheap gas prices has created a boom in the RV market.

Quote:
RV shipments through February 2017 totaled 73,287 units, an increase of 8.6% from the same period in 2016. This continues seven consecutive years of shipments growth as the industry has bounced back from effects of the Great Recession.

In 2016, RV shipments totaled 430,691 units, a gain of 15.1% over the previous year.
The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: Business Indicators

Of course this has also increased the demand for a spot to park your RV. Camping sites are becoming more and more crowded, with many popular locations almost impossible to reserve unless you do so six months or more in advance.

Nice to be retired so we can plan our trips for the shoulder seasons when demand drops off a bit.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #59

Shooting sport. My kids don't want to even touch the firearm.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I don't even go to dollar theatre anymore. Not as appealing.
The last time I went to the 99 cent movie , they were playing The Champ with Ricky Schroder . It was a double feature. My sister and brother in law took me. This is the same sister who now has a mansion and a bocce court. At the time they lived in a small 3 room apt down the block from our house.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote