Join Early Retirement Today

What percentage of men do not enjoy dancing?
Old 10-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What percentage of men do not enjoy dancing?

I've never enjoyed dancing. I love music and can frequently be seen gyrating around the house when a good song is playing on the stereo. I just cannot summon the interest in doing it on command, like in a bar, at a wedding, etc. I get this creepy feeling like I'm faking something, and generally cannot wait til the song ends. I vividly recall dancing (about 40 years ago!) to Love To Love You Baby - Donna Summer. Over 16 minutes of hell.
DW treated me to three Fred Astaire Dance Studio lessons many years ago. I made it through the first two lessons. Each lesson was an hour; half spent dancing with DW, and half dancing with my male instructor. The latter caused a small river of sweat to pour out of my armpits, down my waist, and into my slacks. I could not muster the courage to do the final lesson.
Am I alone? Any other non-dancers out there?
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Really dislike dancing. Maybe you should make a poll? I know there are at least a couple here who really enjoy it. Great for them.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My late ex never danced, and Frank doesn't dance either. I don't think they ever enjoyed dancing.

Some people are forced to take piano lessons when they are kids, and hate piano. I loved piano. However I was forced to go to not one, but THREE dance groups in junior high, for kids my age. These groups met regularly (every week, two weeks, or monthly). They were supposed to teach us to dance and theoretically to enjoy dancing. Knowing how to dance was considered to be a necessary social grace by some people (such as my mother) in those days. So, I couldn't get out of it. I learned the foxtrot, the jitterbug, the waltz, the tango, the cha cha, and many more; even the twist once it appeared. Oh, and then I also had to go with my parents to square dance too every now and then.

Not my cup of tea. Despite being female I never liked dancing, even after suffering through those dance groups. I didn't dance as an adult. So, the fact that the men in my life didn't/don't dance, has been a positive attribute in my opinion.

My hypothesis is that some people (for example ER forum member HaHa) LOVE to dance, others don't, and that one's attitude towards dancing must be inborn or at least not easily changed.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #4

I would estimate that the % of men who would say they enjoy dancing is ~15%.

And don't worry, the % of women who enjoy it is nowhere near 100 either.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Never cared for it....
Old 10-23-2020, 04:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I took ballroom dancing lessons for a couple of years and got pretty good at it because "she" liked it. After the divorce, never danced again. Seems to be a female thing, mostly.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
When younger I viewed dancing as a mating ritual, if single and unattached it was the way to meet and evaluate people.

Once attached, it seemed silly as already accomplished the goal.
If I attracted another female, I had to disappoint her, and if my mate attracted a male, I felt threatened, and the results were going to be one of:
  • she telling me she's not interested and the mood is spoiled.
  • we leave, as the mood is spoiled.
  • I beat him up and then we leave and again the mood is spoiled.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW insisted suggested we take same dance lessons in preparation for our son's wedding (which has since been Covid postponed, marriage, but no party).

I actually had fun learning. The problems are:

1. DW insists we always follow the routine. No changes (unless she makes them)

2. DW will NOT follow a lead ( see above)
Old 10-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Well I like dancing as does my DGF, but we haven't been dancing for awhile as many dancing places start too late, plus Covid stuff right now.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:30 PM   #10

I enjoy dancing and rhythm comes to me easily. I dance Argentine tango, ballroom and just about all the Latin dances. My DH hates dancing and really has two left feet. A bit disappointing because I don’t have a built in dance partner which is so much better when you do partner dances.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Male here. I've always liked dancing. I used to square dance as a teen, plus line and ballroom dancing. I still like it, but rarely get the opportunity. OTOH I really dislike dancing to pop music, probably because I never had lessons and never know what do with my hands.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Give me the right music and a couple drinks and I like to dance solo. I never like to dance with a partner, ever.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Not since college have I known a man who wanted to dance. I never learned either, so it was no problem.

Still, why, when we go out, do we see so many old couples plodding around the dance floor? They seem to be enjoying themselves; and they are old enough to have quit doing anything they only used to do because "everybody does it."
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We went dancing in college all time, was a favorite pastime. But we were decent at it, because we did it often. Now I’m confronted with dancing about once a year, so I’m so out of practice I can’t enjoy it. I dance with DW because she enjoys it, I don’t at all anymore.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:41 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

When DW and were married something came over us - all of a sudden I hated dancing and she could fix a zipper! Amazing I tell you.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Why were you all of a sudden busting your zippers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRon View Post
When DW and were married something came over us - all of a sudden I hated dancing and she could fix a zipper! Amazing I tell you.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I don’t dance. I think I last danced with DW at her sister’s wedding reception 20 some years ago. And only after DW demanded it.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #18

I don’t dance. I’d like to learn. But never have. Not much worse than being Shanghai’d out to the dance floor when you have zero confidence and know you are awkward. But taking lessons could bring that confidence, and then I think it’d be fun.

Ironically, now DW has no interest in taking lessons with me.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I confess.....I only did it to be near the women.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I confess.....I only did it to be near the women.
And when you meet a women who understands football, now you know why.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote