Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was simply pointing out a positive approach coming out of a terrible situation. It’s like I told my DD during a difficult time for her, “one foot in front of the other kiddo”. Sometimes that’s all you can do.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes.

One more smile a day. One less "grievance aired", one more "thank you", give a bum a buck.

A lot of little things make for a wonderful life.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2018, 10:42 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I was obviously a highly motivated activist. I probably missed 20% of my classes senior year of high school. I was protesting useless boring crap.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I was obviously a highly motivated activist. I probably missed 20% of my classes senior year of high school. I was protesting useless boring crap.

Highly... [emoji51]

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2018, 05:34 AM   #25

I, never in my life, have had an attention span that would allow for 17 reps of anything.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I support the right to peaceably assemble and to seek redress, etc. Granted, many of those students have only a modest understanding of the various issues surrounding the interpretation and implementation of the second amendment, but that could be said about supposed adults as well...

As for the 17 thing, I’m all for civility and empathy, for embracing diversity and differences, and for calling out or confronting bullying. But in some ways it’s a deflection from the issues of violence, mental illness, gun laws/regulations, school security, etc., telling these youngsters and teachers to just be nicer next time, and maybe some lunatic won’t shoot you... They have every right to demand that these issues are addressed.
+1
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the informative discussion, everyone. It’s good to see discussion stay on topic and not swerve into political bantering. The moderator team would appreciate that future posts continue to foster a healthy discussion such that the topic can continue to be discussed.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

To paraphrase a quote somewhat cheekily,

"It is better to light one (17) candle(s) than to curse the <bleeping> darkness."

This generation will be the fixers--every 4 generations.
PoorOldCountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #29

I'm the mother of teenagers. My sons' high school did not allow consequence free walkouts off campus. Some students chose to walk to the front of the school (off campus) on the sidewalk, for the 17 minutes. Others chose to go to the school auditorium where they could speak about the issues of school violence, etc. Others stayed in the classroom and listened as the 17 names were read over the loudspeaker followed by a moment of silence.

I am pleased with the way the school handled it. For those uninformed students, the auditorium was a great solution - there were some very thoughtful suggestions/ideas suggested by students who had given the topic a lot of thought.

For what it's worth, one of my sons went to the auditorium (which is how I know what was discussed), another chose to walk out. The son that walked out for 17 minutes will take the consequence of required "Saturday School" - 4 hours at school on a Saturday. He's ok with that, and so am I.

They are both thoughtful kids who understand consequences of actions. They made their choices themselves.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #30

Sounds like you done good mom.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm the mother of teenagers. My sons' high school did not allow consequence free walkouts off campus. Some students chose to walk to the front of the school (off campus) on the sidewalk, for the 17 minutes. Others chose to go to the school auditorium where they could speak about the issues of school violence, etc. Others stayed in the classroom and listened as the 17 names were read over the loudspeaker followed by a moment of silence.

I am pleased with the way the school handled it. For those uninformed students, the auditorium was a great solution - there were some very thoughtful suggestions/ideas suggested by students who had given the topic a lot of thought.

For what it's worth, one of my sons went to the auditorium (which is how I know what was discussed), another chose to walk out. The son that walked out for 17 minutes will take the consequence of required "Saturday School" - 4 hours at school on a Saturday. He's ok with that, and so am I.

They are both thoughtful kids who understand consequences of actions. They made their choices themselves.
You are a great mentor to your kids.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I tend to feel the kids are being manipulated. I really think the time would be better spent studying.
+1

I wish the time was spent studying the Constitution and the Federalist Papers.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2018, 03:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I really have no problem with the kids walking out today as long as they are doing it to genuinely raise awareness of an issue they believe in. It's a form of learning, just as much as the academics they are learning in the classrooms. I was disappointed to see some schools threatening repercussions for students who want to participate in today's activities. It's a half hour away from the classroom. They'll survive.
+1
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2018, 05:18 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Those were good, non-disruptive options for helping the students deal, in a mature way, with a horrifying event that makes everyone feel like "it could happen here too." Sounds like a thoughtful school administration.

Quote:

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I like your style mom and brought up right we need to let them make their own decisions. We may not like their actions but as a parent we know we have to except their choices.
street is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #36

I think everyone should have the right to protest, and I don't think missing an hour or two of school is going to hurt anyone in the long run. However, I guess I am a pessimist to think the entire student body believes that strongly in any cause. WAY back when I was in school we had one or two walk outs for reasons I don't even remember. I had no interest for or against the cause, but I joined in just to take a break from school. I have a hard time believing today's youth would be any different. Yeah, there's probably a small minority who feel very strongly about it, the rest are most likely just going with the flow.

I see protests on the news every day for homelessness, women's rights, political issues, etc. But, I have to wonder how effective they really are. Sadly, I can't remember a single protest that actually resulted in any long lasting changes. To the contrary, many just turn into an excuse for a few undesirables to vandalize property and businesses who have no part in the issue. Or they block roads causing gridlock for commuters who just want to get home.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

The protests are interesting but I would be far more impressed if the students protested the generally crappy level of American public education.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
+1

I wish the time was spent studying the Constitution and the Federalist Papers.
+1

For fun, sometimes before class officially starts (and before getting to that boring computer science stuff) I ask my class an easy question regarding US history. I am constantly amazed at the lack of basic knowledge regarding the constitution, bill of rights, as well as major historical events.

Quote:
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it
-- George Santayana (Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana y Borrás)
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I am constantly amazed at the lack of basic knowledge regarding the constitution, bill of rights, as well as major historical events.
One of the more enlightening classes I took in college was a class in Constitutional Law. At the time I'd been working in law enforcement for well over a decade so I was very familiar with the parts having to do with those issues, but I think relatively few people realize how much the Constitution permeates almost every facet of American life and not just the criminal justice system.

Them folks that wrote it were pretty smart dudes.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
One of the more enlightening classes I took in college was a class in Constitutional Law. At the time I'd been working in law enforcement for well over a decade so I was very familiar with the parts having to do with those issues, but I think relatively few people realize how much the Constitution permeates almost every facet of American life and not just the criminal justice system.

Them folks that wrote it were pretty smart dudes.
I took two semesters of Con Law as an undergrad. Convinced me my plans to go to law school needed to be revised.