Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What the heck is this??? A Manifesto!
Old 07-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What the heck is this??? A Manifesto!

What is this at the other site? Is this for real or a joke?

earlyretirementstatus :: View topic - I Want To Be Your Board General!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Still windy, ain't he?
Old 07-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Now what do you think of moderators?
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

There goes the neighborhood...

BMJ, mods are fine, but without them we can trash the &*^$^#@ out of butt-monkey.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:39 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Gotta be tongue in cheek!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Gotta be tongue in cheek!
If you find intercst's argument's convincing, its just that he has entered into a manic phase.

- George Orwell

Old 07-16-2007, 07:46 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Based on that manifesto, I hope we get some mods quick, as I know Martha, Rich, and ReWahoo retired........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:00 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Have no fear, fellow forumites. I have an ample supply of animals and food items.

I'm just surprised that howsuc didnt address the whole part about how he started threatening peoples kids. Odd for him to allow that to pass without comment, since pretty much nothing else did.

As far as the combination of things required to produce such a stream of warm, smelly air...I'm thinking a little schizophrenia, 20mg of ambien and a half a bottle of jack daniels.

As Nords has pointed out, ER sometimes produces undesirable results. Or as I like to put it...a vacuum is sometimes better than some of the things nature decides to fill it with.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
If you find intercst's argument's convincing, its just that he has entered into a manic phase.
For those of us who are relatively new, who is "intercst"? Is he/she the same poster as "hokus" (spelled phonetically)?
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
For those of us who are relatively new, who is "intercst"? Is he/she the same poster as "hokus" (spelled phonetically)?
Intercst is the progenitor of pretty much all of the FIRE boards I am aware of. He is a far, far cry from the assclown in question.

- George Orwell

Old 07-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Oh dear Lord, no.

"intercst" is a fellow by the name of John Greaney. He retired at the age of 38, started and maintains the The Retire Early Home Page. website, and developed the original Excel spreadsheet upon which FIREcalc, a retire early calculator, is based. He was an engineer in his professional life who invested a lot in common stocks, particularly technology and pharmaceuticals. He also was the unofficial leader of the REHP ("Retire Early Home Page", a reference to his website) board on the Motley Fool message boards for a long time. Last I heard he was single and living in Texas.

"*****" is another fellow by the name of Rob Bennett. In my opinion, a nice enough guy, but he does tend to post really long, rambling posts which some think tend to say a lot without meaning anything. He also, I believe, "retired early" with a wife and two (?) young kids, but some of his retirement was supposed to be funded by a part time job as a personal finance writer / author. Sometimes it is hard to get Rob to answer a straightforward question. Many think *****' plan for early retirement is not well thought out.

Anyway, ***** was a poster at the Motley Fool, and then at intercst's website message boards, and I think he was even a poster here for a while. ***** has been banned or ostracized from many message boards.

***** is a bit of a troll. Intercst seems to have taken pleasure in poking fun at ***** for the past several years. For whom that is a moral victory it is a tossup, in my opinion.

2Cor521

Edit: As you can see, if you spell his screen name correctly, this board's software turns it into a series of asterisks. The correct spelling of his name (backwards) is sucoh.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:44 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
The correct spelling of his name (backwards) is sucoh.
And many of us old timers would say, oh does he ever!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've tried to understand, but as near as I can tell his writing is a long string of platitudes with no science or substance. I think it'd actually be a compelling counter-argument if there was something of merit.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #15

Thanks Brewer and 2Cor521.

2Cor521, that historical summary really helps - thanks for that.

P.S. I noticed the software wouldn't allow ***** which is why I spelled it "hokus".
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:06 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Heres another historical summary.

If you invested per the hocoloco recommendations, you would not have owned any equities since 1994.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:19 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Heres another historical summary.

If you invested per the hocoloco recommendations, you would not have owned any equities since 1994.
And, if I understand it correctly, historically, the two most dangerous positions to be in are 100% stock or 100% bond. One of the brains at Diehards recently reposted his simulations for allocation growth over 40, 20, and 10 year periods. 90/10 showed a much smoother curve than 100/0 with no appreciable disadvantage in growth. Likewise 0/100 in 'stable' bonds could be characterized as a losing battle with inflation.

So, h0cus's investment strategy could actually be chacterized as very risky. And he claims that intercst has it all wrong.... (without being able to make a coherent, math-based point in less than 500 words)

You know, at some point, you have to wonder how much of this is just a desparate publicity stunt to generate interest and traffic. If you're counting on book sales, you'd better create a stir to get those book sales up.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:49 AM   #18

More than you ever wanted to know about H....

Retire Early Home Page - The Best of Hoco-mania
Old 07-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #19

love the bunny pancake beret. was that instead of french toast?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
More than you ever wanted to know about H....

Retire Early Home Page - The Best of Hoco-mania
Thanks ,I always wondered where that came from !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote