Join Early Retirement Today

What to do with a mink coat
Old 12-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What to do with a mink coat

Any ideas on what to do with a mink coat. The coat belonged to my late mother. It has been passed around a couple of family members and now I have it. I've tried selling it on line (there is way too many of the things out there). I offered to a small business that restyles and makes toys out of them. He did not want it. There used to be a charity that took them for animal beds. Any other ideas? It's part of that decluttering thing. If I knew a hound dog I would offer it as a warm bed.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife took my one of my step-mother's mink coats and turned it into pillows; worked great. If nothing else, a good reminder.

Marc

Roald Amundsen
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have one that belonged to my Aunt. I am going to donate it to the local college Drama program. They can use anything that can be a costume for their plays. Also, old costume jewelry will go there too.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
I have one that belonged to my Aunt. I am going to donate it to the local college Drama program. They can use anything that can be a costume for their plays. Also, old costume jewelry will go there too.
+1 I donated one to a local theater group.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:35 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

There used to be a business in Wilmington, NC that turned fur coats into amazing teddy bears -- just gorgeous, and ever so soft. I don't see that one anymore, but there is another one -
Heirloom teddy bears made from your fur coat.
Potstickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potstickers View Post
There used to be a business in Wilmington, NC that turned fur coats into amazing teddy bears -- just gorgeous, and ever so soft. I don't see that one anymore, but there is another one -
Heirloom teddy bears made from your fur coat.
Very interesting. thanks for the info.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:30 AM   #7

I inherited a 50's style sheared beaver coat from a great aunt. It is a HUGE swing style; I am at least half a foot taller and bigger than the great aunt and I still swim in it! I haven't really known what to do with it, but I keep it just to pet it on occasion. It is truly beautiful. Perhaps the swing style will return some day. Meanwhile, I've also worn it out once or twice (it is super warm but very bulky.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:57 AM   #8

Give it a proper burial. Those poor creatures suffered enormously during the whole of their short, brutal lives.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I inherited a whole closet full of mink, beaver, and fox. Like you, I could not find a place to give them away. I could not bear to think of them as animal bedding. I ended up posting them on craigslist. A woman who does fur crafting took them all and was going to keep the nicer ones to wear. She paid me $5 each to boot.
misshathaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:09 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I gave mine to a friend's daughter who will remake into shrugs or some thin'. I am glad to be done with them.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:18 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In extremely cold climates, wearing fur is both practical and culturally appropriate. Here's a story about donating unwanted furs to a community in Nunavut.

Old fur coats donated in Victoria cut Arctic chill in Nunavut
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:32 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to an estate sale several years ago in our small town, and they had abotu 10 fur coats hanging on a door, for sale....

They were probably the height of fashion at one time....this sale was at the home of an 80 year old woman, and a lot of her clothes would have been considered "nice"....

her furniture was all real wood, too....no pressed stuff from IKEA.....

The coats were still untouched the last day of the sale...

I guess most people don't wear that kind of stuff any longer.....I sure wouldn't. I like fur ON the animal!
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #13

I would donate it to Goodwill (or wherever) and take your deduction.