What to Tell A Young Man Who Wants to Enlist-Fred

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
http://www.fredoneverything.net/FOE_Frame_Column.htm

I have great respect for combat soldiers; very little to none for the military and political bureaucracy that takes advantage of young men's youth and ignorance and idealism to get them to fight their stupid wars. Since I can't think of anything the government has ever done for me, other than put impediments in the way of my pursuit of happiness, I would personally be unwilling to fight over anything at all other than immediate obvious threats to me. In fact most things that would threaten me in a public disorder sense would be made harder to defend against by the government, not easier.

Fred's piece is good; I plan to forward it to my youngest son. Dalton Trumbo's book, Johhny Got His Gun, did the necessary attitude adjustment for me during the Viet-nam War.

Ha

HaHa said:
...I would personally be unwilling to fight over anything at all other than immediate obvious threats to me...

Sometimes a threat is neither immediate nor obvious.

History has taught us that in order to prevent a lethal threat in the future, it may be better to remove that threat before it actually occurs.

HaHa said:
Fred's piece is good
Well, there doesn't seem to be anything wishy-washy about his stance and he certainly has his facts straight, although he spelled "commie" wrong...

retire@40 said:

History has taught us that in order to prevent a lethal threat in the future, it may be better to remove that threat before it actually occurs.

And for those who would compromise the founding principals of a country for a little bit of security? What does history say of them? The whole concept of preemptive war gives me the willies.

I read Fred every week. I think he's brilliant and would love to go have a beer with him. He is wrong about National Review. The founder, William F. Buckley, did combat duty in WWII. Just a nit. His take on getting your limbs shot off is right on the mark. I knew a friend who served in Korea who lost a leg. Nobody cared(s) now.

Eagle43 said:
I read Fred every week.  I think he's brilliant and would love to go have a beer with him.  He is wrong about National Review.  The founder, William F. Buckley, did combat duty in WWII.  Just a nit.  His take on getting your limbs shot off is right on the mark.  I knew a friend who served in Korea who lost a leg.  Nobody cared(s) now. 

Probably Viet Nam is the same. I have a lot of friends who were there, 2 were wounded.
They have fascinating stories but most don't seem to want to talk about it. If I had gone
and survived, I doubt you could shut me up. :)

JG

MRGALT2U said:
...I doubt you could shut me up.  :)

JG

This just cries out for some comment... :D :LOL: :D

retire@40 said:
So if there are threats that are neither immediate nor obvious, how do we recognize them? :confused: What should we do? Assume everything is a threat that needs to be attacked?

retire@40 said:
In hindsight maybe. History also teaches us that misguided action is often the cause of devestating conflict that could have been avoided. :-\

Back
Top Bottom