What tool to use to remove broken wingnut?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
When using a wingnut attachment on my electric screwdriver to take down hurricane shutters, I accidentally hit the button that reverses the screw direction. The wingnut was severely tightened and the ears (cheap aluminum) broke off.

What kind of tool can I use to loosen/remove the nut? I can't get a ratchet wrench to grab it hard enough to turn. I have a very old set (probably 1940's - they were my father's) of steel auto socket wrenches (the open kind, which can fit over the projecting bolt) which I'm pretty sure would do the job, except they're too big in diameter. :(

Recommendations appreciated!

Attachments

• wingnut.jpg
    wingnut.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 86
I usually grab something like that with a pair of Vice-Grips. It doesn't look corroded, and even with your accidental tightening, I doubt it will put up too much of a fight.

Pliers, channel locks, vise grips, or a flat chisel at the wing/nut interface and hammer to tap it off. If that fails, a nut splitter. But, it looks tight (limited space) for any of those.

Can you get a pair of vice grips on the remaining wing nut? Straight on/not sideways. And then loosen, using another set of vice grips or pliers for leverage if necessary.

Vice grip is too big for the limited space.

Vice grip is too big for the limited space.

Just to be clear, what I and others are suggesting is you use the Vice-Grips straight in line with the bolt, not at a 90 degree angle like you would normally. If you can't budge the nut at that point, you can use an adjustable wrench or another set of Vice-Grips attached to the first set at a 90-degree angle as additional leverage.

If the space is too limited for vise grips, try using the tips of needlenose pliers. It looks like there is enough of each “wing” left for the tips to press against....

1. Vise grips if you can get them in there.
2. Needle nose pliers
3. Hammer and screwdriver/ long rod. tap the ears of the wing nut with a long rod to get it loose. Then unscrew the rest of the way by hand.

I have some long needle nose vise grips that would probably work on something like this. Of course applying a little WD40 along with using the vise grips would probably help too.

Looks like these.

s-l400.jpg

Another option: You maybe able to get a larger socket to grab the broken wing nut.... Probably would need a deep walled socket and a drive extension (all common tools)... If the wings on the nut are broken off somewhat evenly it should/might grip it. Again, with some WD40. :)

Last edited:
I think any needle nose players would work. It looks like there is enough left of the wings that you’ll get some contact with so as to turn the nut. Again, as others have said, you’re going to go straight at it, not the typical 90 degrees.

Spray the threads and the rear with with WD40 and let it soak in. Wipe the excess WD40 off the surface and then use a small plier to remove the broken wingnut. If you have a wingnut driver like the one in the picture, you could use that instead of the pliers.

Attachments

• 513pmU19doL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    513pmU19doL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 25
A couple other options -

A basin wrench if there is room -
Or one of these 'magic' socket tools -

31oEv6F10UL._AC_.jpg

61IXGxanybL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

^^^ I think the magic socket might work too... but first I would try some regular sockets and see if one is a size that can catch what is left of the broken wings enough to loosen it.

Several good suggestions. The only tough part will be getting it loosened up. I think the needle nose vise grip is the best, put on such that the tips are on the sides of the broken ears to provide something to press against. The vise grip is parallel with the stud, use another pliers or wrench to turn the needle nose. It should not be too bad to get loose since you just turned it recently, although a little penetrant won't hurt.

I have a small, needle-nose vice grip that may be perfect for the job.

I have a pair of those, and IMO I find them pretty useless. The jaws flex too much to deliver much torque to the offending fastener. I was quite disappointed in them, considering they are the name brand product and not a knockoff.

I like the basin wrench idea, as it might be handy to have around the house after this conundrum is solved.

A year ago I bought a couple sets of long-reach needle-nose pliers after I noticed that a lot of mechanics use them to reach stuff that had been dropped in hard-to-access places. I got mine at Harbor Freight. This pair might do the job:
51OnT%2Be134L._AC_SL1212_.jpg

Wow, I went to the gym, came home and there were all these great suggestions! WD-40 was already on the job, of course.

Here is what my dad called an auto socket wrench. But when I Google auto socket wrench, I don't see this kind. Is it called something else?

Attachments

• IMG_20201027_110145737.jpg
    IMG_20201027_110145737.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 20
Wow, I went to the gym, came home and there were all these great suggestions! WD-40 was already on the job, of course.

Here is what my dad called an auto socket wrench. But when I Google auto socket wrench, I don't see this kind. Is it called something else?

It's an offset box end wrench.

This is more what we are thinking... and via trial and error find a socket that gets enough bite on the broken wings to loosen it.... or a "magic" socket lishown in post #19.

51Fdn5AYjNL.__AC_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom