What type of oil to use in our deep fryer?

panacea

Full time employment: Posting here.
I found an electric fryer under the Christmas tree today- how fun! But I'm not sure what kind of cooking oil to use. Simple vegetable oil? Vegatable shortening, like Crisco? Peanut oil? Corn oil? Life was so simple until this morning. :) Can you tell me what kind you've had the most success with? And are there any I should avoid for some reason? Thanks!

Peanut. That's what DW's family used in the restaurant biz. Seems like the oil of choice for deep frying turkeys. Probably because it has a high burning temp.

Peanut oil is generally considered the best choice, but it's more expensive. Ordinary vegetable oil is much cheaper and works nearly as well, which is why so many restaurants (around here, anyway) use it.

Peanut oil or "regular" vegetable oil. Crisco is solid at room temperature, so I think it would be less convenient to strain and clean.

Years ago, I used only vegetable oil. Then I used 3 parts vegetable oil and 1 part olive oil. Later, I switched to canola oil. But I read some strange things about canola oil so I switched to corn oil, still in the same ratio with olive oil. Works well for me.

10W40 and change it every six months or 3000 turkeys whichever comes first.

We use peanut oil, can't stand the taste/smell of canola oil. The idea of using a 1/4 part olive oil is interesting, may have to give that a try.

Thanks- a mix sounds interesting to me too... although I don't see including 10W40 in any amount. As I think about it though, I could probably reuse a good synthetic 1040 many more times than your average peanut or veggie oil!

Back
Top Bottom