Join Early Retirement Today

What was I waiting for. I should have .... sooner!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What was I waiting for. I should have .... sooner!

Fill in the blank for whatever you wish.

For me, it's switching over from Internet Explorer to Google Chrome as my web browser. While surfing with IE, my computer was just limping along and hanging on pages. Now, I can actually surf the web in peace again.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

used auto-pay for my monthly bills

My 2012 New Year's resolution was to follow my 28 yo daughter's advice and set up my monthly bills to be auto-pay (previously I used Quicken Bill Pay). Not only is it easier, but I also save the $10 a month that Bill Pay was costing me - a win-win for sure. It has work out great for me.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

My 2012 New Year's resolution was to follow my 28 yo daughter's advice and set up my monthly bills to be auto-pay (previously I used Quicken Bill Pay). Not only is it easier, but I also save the $10 a month that Bill Pay was costing me - a win-win for sure. It has work out great for me.
That's a good one. I had a friend who used to pay by online banking. I always thought that's just an extra step when one can auto pay directly from the checking account.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

...retired...

I'm finding the frustration of the transition to my successor more than I had imagined. He had a pretty serious accident, could not come when scheduled, asked for a well designed set of meetings for the next attempt (which I did plan for him), then threw it all up in the air and asked for it to be re-done (again) due to personal issues. Being the nice guy that I am, I had already offered to come back for a week for the transition meetings after my retirement date, due to his accident and injuries. I am now a hair's breadth from telling him to figure it out himself.

R
Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Me too. I don't trust anyone so was reluctant to justt pay bills automatically but I haven't found any billing problems and it is so much easier to accommodate travel.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Me too. I don't trust anyone so was reluctant to justt pay bills automatically but I haven't found any billing problems and it is so much easier to accommodate travel.
Quote:

Even though I have my paycheck automatically deposited, I've mostly passed on automatic billing, because my paycheck is on a biweekly cycle and most bills are monthly. When I first started my job my finances were slender enough that having the bill arrive the day before the paycheck could have been a big problem. Even though I now usually have more than enough to make the different cycles a non-issue, until recently, I still haven't taken advantage of automatic payment except for my life insurance, because it's such a tiny amount, and my car insurance, because it's legally required and a mega hassle if I procrastinate paying and the policy lapses. But I do plan to put many more things on auto-pay when I retire and have a monthly pension check rather than a biweekly paycheck. I've gotten a start on bill automation by putting the homeowner's insurance for my new house on auto-pay, and I can also have income tax and health insurance premiums deducted automatically from my pension check once I retire. Maybe long term care insurance too--I still need to ask about that.

I would like to ask you auto-payment fans, if you have a bill that's on a cycle other than monthly, how do you handle that? Do you have one account for ongoing bills and one for other expenses, and transfer a monthly budget amount from "other" to "ongoing"? Or do you put amounts for the non-monthly bills in savings until the bill comes? (It hardly seems worth the bother at today's interest rates.) I think either of these methods could be automated if both accounts were at the same bank. Or do you just leave money in a single checking account for months until the semi-annual or annual bill comes due?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Fill in the blank for whatever you wish.

For me, it's switching over from Internet Explorer to Google Chrome as my web browser. While surfing with IE, my computer was just limping along and hanging on pages. Now, I can actually surf the web in peace again.
This is a great thread, ES. We have a lot of things we hope to say this about soon! Right now I can say it about my no-contract smart phone even if I hit the wrong letters on its crowded keyboard sometimes.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
....I would like to ask you auto-payment fans, if you have a bill that's on a cycle other than monthly, how do you handle that? Do you have one account for ongoing bills and one for other expenses, and transfer a monthly budget amount from "other" to "ongoing"? Or do you put amounts for the non-monthly bills in savings until the bill comes? (It hardly seems worth the bother at today's interest rates.) I think either of these methods could be automated if both accounts were at the same bank. Or do you just leave money in a single checking account for months until the semi-annual or annual bill comes due?
I have three accounts at our credit union, one savings and two checking. One checking is for manual checks (very few these days) and the other is for electronic bill pay and auto pays. I usually try to keep at least a month's worth of expenses in this bill paying checking account.

When I was working, a set amount that was designed to cover my "normal" monthly bills went into my checking account twice a month and the remainder of my net pay went into savings. I loosely monitor the checking account balance and periodically transfer money from savings to checking as needed if I make a big purchase or large, non-routine bills like my annual property tax bill, annual auto and home insurance, etc.

Now I do roughly the same thing except my checking account deposits are now monthly rather than twice a month.

So essentially everything is in savings and I transfer money to the manual checks account and the bill paying checking account as needed to make sure checks don't bounce.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
This is a great thread, ES. We have a lot of things we hope to say this about soon! Right now I can say it about my no-contract smart phone even if I hit the wrong letters on its crowded keyboard sometimes.
Actually, that is another good one for me. We switched all of our cell phones from a Verizon family plan to individual AT&T go phones. We don;t have smart phones and only use them as a convenience when away from the house shopping or traveling.

Verizon coverage was poor at our new home. We are no longer locked into a contract and given our minimal usage, our cell phone bill is about $9 per month per phone - so $27 a month for the three of us vs about $80 under the family plan.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

You can have a win-win-win by having the bill automatically charged to your credit card and getting the points. Some utility companies will do this while others prefer to get it from your bank accounts.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
I would like to ask you auto-payment fans, if you have a bill that's on a cycle other than monthly, how do you handle that? Do you have one account for ongoing bills and one for other expenses, and transfer a monthly budget amount from "other" to "ongoing"? Or do you put amounts for the non-monthly bills in savings until the bill comes? (It hardly seems worth the bother at today's interest rates.) I think either of these methods could be automated if both accounts were at the same bank. Or do you just leave money in a single checking account for months until the semi-annual or annual bill comes due?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
You can have a win-win-win by having the bill automatically charged to your credit card and getting the points. Some utility companies will do this while others prefer to get it from your bank accounts.
+1

I don't have any non-monthly bills that don't go to a credit card.

I use Google Calendar for reminders, including annual reminders.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan

+1

I looked recently to move my utility bills to the CC to gain additional cash back points, but they all want to slap service charges on the bill if I would do that. So I will just continue to help keep a company mail room employee employed by continuing to mail the bill in by check.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Learned about investing in low cost index funds...
so much wasted on trying to pick stocks
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

why do you have a reminder when the bills are on automatic payment or your credit card?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally broke away from Apple. I got locked in with the ipod some 10 or so years ago and found it easier to just go with the flow and went all apple including my computer and ipad. I finally got fed up with itunes an android smart phone and have been so incredibly happy since leaving the apple fold although I do still have the ipad....
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
why do you have a reminder when the bills are on automatic payment or your credit card?
I use Google calendar for reminders, and I have plenty of reminders for all sorts of things, including annual automatic payments, particularly if that automatic payment is coming from the bank account rather than to a credit card. (I just remembered that DW has 2 annual payments going out from our UK bank account)

For annual payments a calendar reminder is a useful prompt that a charge is about to hit, and for me to log on and be sure the CC on file has not expired etc.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I looked recently to move my utility bills to the CC to gain additional cash back points, but they all want to slap service charges on the bill if I would do that. So I will just continue to help keep a company mail room employee employed by continuing to mail the bill in by check.
That was the case for us in Baton Rouge. We paid those bills via auto-pay from our bank account. Where we live in Texas there is no additional charge for CC so I prefer that method.

It is important for us to have things either on automatic to bank or CC, or be billable and payable on-line as we spend several months a year away from home.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I use Google calendar for reminders, and I have plenty of reminders for all sorts of things, including annual automatic payments, particularly if that automatic payment is coming from the bank account rather than to a credit card. (I just remembered that DW has 2 annual payments going out from our UK bank account)

For annual payments a calendar reminder is a useful prompt that a charge is about to hit, and for me to log on and be sure the CC on file has not expired etc.
I use calendar reminders for all sorts of things. I wish it would wake me up in the morning.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #19

Investing on my own. I remember the first mutual fund I bought. I researched and analyzed and thought about it for months. Even after I "decided" to take the plunge I waited for more months before I wrote the check (yes in those days you had to mail a check). I was in my 20s and felt like I had to be an expert on the market to know what to do. Just did not feel competent. Research is a very important aspect of any investment decision, but at some point, you have to jump in.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #20

Quote:
I put as much as I can on CC ( 1.5% cash back ). Most of the monthly bills with autopay using the CC. I then pay CC once a month from checking. semi annual like auto insurance, yearly Property tax and Home Ins. goes on CC as well. Not automatic but the cash back is few hundred $ over a year.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote