What was your happiest moment today?

Sitting here drinking coffee and enjoying the Christmas Tree. Went shopping last night for cookie ingredients, will start baking tonight with one of my grandsons.
Life couldn't be happier!

Today I took a stroll through the local wilderness outside of base until I found the perfect tree. I painstakingly cut it down with my pocket knife and brought it back to base, fashioned up a crude tree stand, and we all decorated it. We still have some ornaments to put on and one of the guys has a tree skirt his wife sent him, but we've got a good start to our aid station deployment Christmas tree. Definitely the high point of my day.

MVIMG_20191211_164245-X2.jpg

The happiest moment most days for me is something others might think is trivial, yesterday it was an uneventful HOA meeting, my first in a new neighborhood. POA meetings in my last neighborhood were a nightmare, due to a small but vocal group of totally unreasonable neighbors.

I had a bucket list happy day last week, I think I will start a thread...
https://curtiswrightoutfitters.com/falconry/

Yesterday I went out on errands in the middle of the day. Stopped into the local Costco to browse, and on the way out picked up their great $1.50 lunch of a soda ans large hot dog (blow that dough!). I intended to eat in my car, but on the way out heard someone calling my name. A young lady in her early 20's, a friend of our youngest son, was sitting on the benches eating. I waived hello but she motioned me over, she worked at a nearby bank, this was her lunch break, and asked if I could have lunch with her. So I sat and we have a great conversation. When we left, as we headed to our cars I thanked her for having lunch with me and held out my hand for a shake. She did not take it, but smiled and said "can I give you a hug?" Now, I am not a hugger, but I will not refuse one if offered :). Her just wanting to have lunch with me when she did not have to made my day.

Yesterday, went to our CEOS club meeting with my sister. It was our Christmas luncheon, so there was plenty of good food. We played a game, made Christmas ornaments for a nursing home, had our meeting and visited. My sister and I went shopping afterward and then her DH drove over and my DH joined us for a lovely Chinese dinner at our favorite restaurant.

Most of my days are pretty darn happy anyway (when retired, aren't most of them?!?) but this AM was a reminder of how lucky I am. Got up to medicate one of the dogs and was greeted by one of the most beautiful sunrises I have seen in a long time. I normally go back to bed after medication time, but today I went ahead and started the coffee and sat outside to finish watching the sunrise. It's such a blessing to be able to stop whatever you are doing and just enjoy the moment...even when it lasts for 45 minutes. These aren't my pictures, but a couple taken up the road from us.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    774.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 48
Having breakfast with my neighbor who confirmed South Padre Island is awesome. We're spending 3 weeks there in February. She even verified the resort as excellent.

My wife has been in the hospital since last Wednesday... I found out this morning that she's being released today! Easily my happiest moment of the month :)

Surprise Bonuses

I got to hand out surprise bonuses to everyone on my team today. A few came close to tears. It really felt good.

Took our two little dogs into the groomers. As I was walking out a gal came in with her golden. We chatted while I pet her dog and she was asking a question of the groomer. The dog started leaning into me, like hard. She told me that was it's way of asking for attention. Felt pretty good for a big dog to ask like that.

I looked at my Vanguard account today and found that one of the international funds that I foolishly bought in 2018 was now finally worth what I paid for it 18 months ago.

I finally went back to the gym today after approximately 1 1/2 years. I walked on the treadmill for 35 minutes and worked out on the exercise machines at a very light weight. It felt good.

When I got ready to leave the room in the morning, my golden is on her back. She's waiting for her belly rub. While rubbing her belly (she's on the floor), my lab jumps on the bed so I can rub her ears.

So one hand is rubbing my lab's ears, and the other is scratching my golden's belly. I don't know, they just bring the biggest smile to my face.

Before being married, I never had pets. I never had any idea they could bring so much joy in my life. Problem is, I don't like to leave them for vacations.

Today is cookie baking day at my house and I had to lay in some provisions. Standing in line at Costco with 8 lbs of butter and a bottle of Knob Creek and I hear the person behind me say .. "you are clearly having a better time at your house than I am"

He was holding cabbage and cleanser.

Lots of laughing. He might be right. This looks pretty fun

cookie_1.jpg

got my surgery staples out.
In laws sent me get well flowers
DH made an excellent jambalaya for dinner.

Tough choice:
1. Gently holding the face of the Beautiful Princess in my hands and kissing her cute nose
2. Debriefing DD after her first semester in college
3. Hearing from the HS frosh that he's confident about his finals next week

I'll go for "all of the above" :)

DW and I went to see "Midway" at the theater; the last movie we saw was "The Revenant" in 2015. It's only the 6th movie in 37 years we saw at the theater.

We then checked out a new Mexican restaurant for dinner. Both were excellent!

Last edited:
DD sent me a video of grand baby, cooing and playing in the baby play gym we bought.
My heart melts when I see them, Love the little ones!

So one hand is rubbing my lab's ears, and the other is scratching my golden's belly. I don't know, they just bring the biggest smile to my face.

Life is good. I get tag-teamed by my cats periodically.

Problem is, I don't like to leave them for vacations.

That is my biggest dilemma too. We took a week's vacation recently, and since returning, the cats haven't let us out of their sight.

“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12. Jesus, does anyone?" (Stand by Me, Stephen King).

I had lunch yesterday with a friend I've known since I was 18 (51 years ago)--almost the same for me.

I had lunch yesterday with a friend I've known since I was 18 (51 years ago)--almost the same for me.
Me too. Every so often I get together with a friend from high school(she comes to Champaign from Atlanta). And sometimes with friends I haven't seen in years. It's always as though no time passed. We pick up where we left off. New information, of course. But we connect immediately.

Had a nice dinner last night at a great local restaurant with some good friends (husband and wife) maybe 10 years older than DW and me. They have been on a rough stretch with personal medical issues and medical issues with their disabled daughter. Being able to get them out and spend some time was good for them, as well as DW and I having fun with them.

Back
Top Bottom