What We're Smoking (MJ legalization FAQs)

It's interesting to be able to choose among the different strains, for different effect. But it does seem to be hard to find stuff that is more focused on pain relief without much THC high (and plain old OTC CBD doesn't do anything for me).

And this was the part that impressed DW. They really seemed to know what worked for various conditions. The bud they recommended was fairly low in THC, and just a hit or two helps her tremor immensely for several hours. She gets a VERY mild buzz, if one at all.

She then tried some gummies, but they took longer to take effect, and gave a greater buzz (even taking a very small dose).

As far as the price, I think part of that is to NOT be a supplier to the general public. The illegal stuff is cheaper, or so I hear. :D

In Oregon it has been a nothing burger. Probably been legal 5 years (?) with medical before that. Each town/city can vote to allow it or not. Some do, some don't. If they don't the city does not share in the tax proceeds. The tax on MJ in total is about 25% of the liquor revenues....and double the cig tax revenues

The dispensaries are generally nicer than the buildings they remodel/replace. One of the bigger client base is the senior citizens. (by observation) My MIL (90 years old) used a cream for her knees for a couple years. I was joking with her last week if we needed to go back soon to her pot shop. The "budtenders are pretty helpful. I don't use much but my late wife used some edibles & drinks during her cancer treatments. It helped her. She got me to try an edible & it put me right to sleep. The budtender would be able to help me find a strain for the effect I am looking for.

Another question, if anyone knows....

What happens to all the "convicted criminals" that are/were in jail/prison for smoking and/or possession before it was legalized? Still in jail? Released? Records cleared?

I can tell you what happens if you get arrested for possession of MJ at age 17 while at college in Texas in 1972 (felony) even if the charges are eventually dropped and then get a professional job requiring a high level Security Clearance. For the next 30 years they bring it up on every single Security Clearance re-certification (every 7 years) even though you've never failed regular random drug tests!

Things have changed a lot over the years but not with the Feds.

Last edited:
I can tell you what happens if you get arrested at age 17 while at college in Texas in 1972 (felony) even if they charges are eventually dropped and then get a professional job requiring a high level Security Clearance. For the next 30 years they bring it up on every single Security Clearance re-certification (every 7 years) even though you've never failed regular random drug tests!
That reminds me of when I went to work for Mega Crop #2 back in the mid 80's... Part of the medical exam was testing for marijuana... No pass no play.

Back then it was "claimed" they could detect it in your "system" :blush: for up to 30 days after you had last smoked it... I know one guy that stalled his physical for almost a month so he could pass.

Things have changed a lot over the years but not with the Feds.
It's a strange situation. So unfair and quite wonky, the misalignment between state and federal laws. It seems like the feds must at least decriminalize at some point. It's quite absurd to be law abiding and a criminal concurrently for the same actions.

Medical and recreational marijuana are both legal in Illinois. Medical since 2014, recreational since 2020. There's a mj dispensary in my hometown and it's packed whenever I drive by, but I've yet to stop in.

Curious...any cultivators out there? One of the reasons I like home brew (beer) is not paying the "sin tax". I know nothing about the weed thing, but there's got to be a lot of satisfaction in growing your own.

Curious...any cultivators out there? One of the reasons I like home brew (beer) is not paying the "sin tax". I know nothing about the weed thing, but there's got to be a lot of satisfaction in growing your own.

I used to grow the stuff in a closet before it was legal. Wifey was more fond than I. Had a 400 watt HPS light and a full hydroponic in there. When wifey had cancer we got a MM card and bought it ever since. The stuff you can buy is way better than what I was growing.

Closet is shut down now but I still do a couple seeds in the backyard for fun!

Don't know if non-Rx MJ will ever be legal in Florida, but if it happens, there's a little sunny patch reserved in my garden.

Last edited:
My observations are as follows:
- It's expensive... But it's also super strong (compared to the stems/seeds crap that was around when I was in college.) I like to joke that it's concentrated. Definitely 1 *small* hit is enough for a lightweight like me when I indulge every few months.

- The recreational places are run very business like. The counter clerks know their stuff (as mentioned by others) asking what effects you want or what symptoms you want to deal with.

I volunteer/attend various planning groups. NIMBY is alive and well when it comes to *any* mj related business (dispensary, rec-use shop, grow house.) My local planning group was adamant it would never be allowed in our planning area - even in the industrial zoned areas where there are no schools, no residents....

Driving after smoking is illegal. DUI - in this case the 'influence' is pot rather than booze.

Also of note - if you go to a national park - it's 100% illegal, even if you are in a state that allows it. My brother was busted for 1/4 oz of pot in Yosemite - charged as a felony, even though CA law at the time said less than 1 oz was a misdemeanor. Federal land, so federal rules applied. It's still a felony on the fed books... so leave the MJ at home when you go camping in national parks.

Even my super uptight mom used pot when she was doing chemo.... helped a lot with the pain and nausea.

- The recreational places are run very business like. The counter clerks know their stuff (as mentioned by others) asking what effects you want or

This intrigues me.

When you buy wine you might ask the clerk at the liquor store what wine would go well with a particular meal.

With weed, can you ask something like, "I'm going to an amusement park and going on the rides. What do you recommend?"

Or, "I'm heading to the Guns N' Roses reunion concert. Any suggestions?"

"I'm going to be reading Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker books and then some Terry Pratchett. What should I get?"

"I've never seen the movie Inception. Have you got any recommendations?"

"I've got a family reunion that I've been loathing to attend. I have to go or my spouse will kill me. What have you got that will mellow me out but still allow me to function?"

New York just legalized it, but no places are set up to sell it recreationally. Medical has its dispensaries. I think people are driving to Mass to get some.

It was a hobby that I really enjoyed for a while. It's such a beautiful and fragrant plant, that is a real treat to watch as the females go through flowering. It takes over a month, depending on the strain, from the beginning to the finish of flowering. Cannabis isn't like a normal flower blooming, but rather a process of the buds developing more and more pistils, creating a heavy resin-coated mass of bud. The resin glistens like tiny crystals.

If you live in a legal state and enjoy gardening I'd recommend giving it a try, if only for the experience of growing it. If you enjoy smoking or edibles I can't imagine not growing your own. If you prefer edibles, you simply simmer the dried buds in water and butter for a few hours, then strain out the solids and chill the liquid to separate the butter from the water.

Alli am going to say is that when there is legalization, lots of criminal activity occurs.

And that includes illegal growers, bootleggers and others thieving the products. How about murders that didn't used to happen?

My stepson was a pothead, and he was in a 20 year fog. 10 years later, he still has no personal drive or ambition.

Reactions: W2R
This intrigues me.

When you buy wine you might ask the clerk at the liquor store what wine would go well with a particular meal.

With weed, can you ask something like, "I'm going to an amusement park and going on the rides. What do you recommend?"

Or, "I'm heading to the Guns N' Roses reunion concert. Any suggestions?"

"I'm going to be reading Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker books and then some Terry Pratchett. What should I get?"

"I've never seen the movie Inception. Have you got any recommendations?"

"I've got a family reunion that I've been loathing to attend. I have to go or my spouse will kill me. What have you got that will mellow me out but still allow me to function?"

This made me chuckle... But it had more to do with do you want to be up/peppy/happy... or mellow/sleepy. Apparently it's an indica vs sativa thing... but I don't remember which is which.

Back in my college days I was going to school full time with 8am classes - and worked till 10pm several nights a week... I used pot 'medicinally' to be able to fall asleep quickly so I could wake up in time for class. The key was to fall asleep before the munchies kicked in. LOL.

(FWIW, I'm not a user, and never have been. It simply doesn't interest me. Friends have reported that today's pot is a lot stronger than what they were used to back in college.)

Michigan legalized medical in 2008 (and to answer someone's question, medical cardholders are allowed to grow 12 plants) and recreational sales in Dec 2019.

I live near Ann Arbor and it's been interesting to watch the recreational business. Initially there were long lines at stores, and they'd often run out of product.

Being an hour north of the Ohio border (where it's still illegal), there would be lots of Ohioans driving up to make purchases. I heard the Ohio cops liked to patrol the main roads from Michigan, looking to catch Ohio-tagged cars carrying illegal pot.

During covid, I've seen folks lined up outside dispensaries and stores, as they limit the number of customers allowed inside.

Lately, I've read that Ann Arbor has some stores that have unmarked cars carrying pot just driving around town during known busy times. Thus, you can place an order and have it delivered very quickly. Once the order rate slows down, the cars stop driving around aimlessly and return home.

There are now TONS of very 'corporate-looking' billboards along the main freeways advertising pot stores. Kind of an eyesore IMHO.

I've not seen any information on accidents, sales figures, taxes, etc.

The last time I drove to Canada (pot is legal in Ontario, too), there was a sign near the immigration/customs area stating that it was illegal to take pot across the border. Not sure if this is because it's a federal border or what?

omni

How has it been in the state you live in, both from a public perspective and also from your perspective?

Has it been "no big deal" or have there been major problems? Has it been a financial Godsend for the state?...
I have only been in CO for last 5 years, but from my perspective it has been "No big deal". I have no data on the tax revenue, but I'm not convinced that this is/was a game changer as my property taxes keep going up. :)

So far the only problem is the illegal market is as big as ever. Taxes and the difficulty in getting licenses (not in our town) keep the illicit product available.

The cool thing is the legal stuff is so powerful that it's truly "one hit sh*t", also so very cool to just drive up to the "dope store" and browse.

Me thinks it's time for another hit - :)

This is the joke that is being played on the American public. I totally agree with legalization. However, the implementation has been less about decriminalization and all about tax revenue. The ridiculous thing is that they set the taxes so high that they didn't do anything to discourage the illegal market. Remember prohibition? I thought we learned a lesson. Legalize the substance and the crime associated with it virtually goes away. Somehow that idea got lost in the greed to raise tax revenue. :facepalm: Further, how does the gooberment justify a new revenue stream based on vice? Just crazy. Vice should be managed, not encouraged and certainly not create an incentive of tax revenue. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Anyway, I live in Michigan and both Medical and Recreational are legal. While Robbie thinks the new strains are cool, I respectfully disagree. The legal stuff is so powerful that it's not even fun to smoke. It would be like the only alcohol available is straight up moonshine. What ever happened to the equivalent of beer in the MJ world? Heck, I used to enjoy the act of smoking. How'd you like to have a Cuban cigar and all you can handle is a couple puffs? Try smoking a doobie with your friends. Pass that around one time and everyone is baked. I hope some day they find a way to sell it in more realistic THC levels. The legal shops are awesome. Who would have ever thought we'd be walking into a store and selecting from several types of weed. Clean, safe, legal - pretty cool.

One thing I think that would have been expected is clearly happening - people are driving around smoking. No doubt. Not sure if all have heard of the skunky smell of weed today, but I can't tell you how often I've been stopped at a light and the smell wafts into my truck. Way too often.

I did read the other day that Amazon stopped testing employees for pot unless their job indicated (drivers, forklift drivers . . .). So things are changing.

I have found the counter folks in the shops have been extremely helpful; I like the pain relief, like less anxiety but don't want the "high". A good, knowledgeable worker will explain the different effect of the Terpenes in each strain.
I have a THC/CBD cream for arthritis that works wonders, and use a gummy for pain/sleep/relaxation. Can't smoke or vape.
You can adjust the THC/CBD dosage and avoid the "one hit s**t" that RobbieB discussed, IF you want too :)

This is the joke that is being played on the American public. I totally agree with legalization. However, the implementation has been less about decriminalization and all about tax revenue.
Same with alcohol and gambling...

Driving after smoking is illegal. DUI - in this case the 'influence' is pot rather than booze.

This is a real issue, as there's no easy chemical way to determine if you are DUI or just used it sometime in the past few weeks. You can test out at 5 nanograms/ml long after the effect (under the influence) has passed. Roadside physical sobriety tests are much more accurate. And they aren't very, so it's definitely a problem.

Alli am going to say is that when there is legalization, lots of criminal activity occurs.

And that includes illegal growers, bootleggers and others thieving the products. How about murders that didn't used to happen?

I'm confused, are you saying crime increases when pot (or anything) is legalized? If so, I'd request some references. Because that's the exact opposite of everything I've ever read, going back to the 21st Amendment. Legalization doesn't immediately solve all the problems, especially with the states tax strategies encouraging a strong competing black market, but I can guarantee you that violent crime regarding marijuana goes down everywhere legalization occurs.

This made me chuckle... But it had more to do with do you want to be up/peppy/happy... or mellow/sleepy. Apparently it's an indica vs sativa thing... but I don't remember which is which.

It's easy. The mnemonic for Indica is "In Da Couch".

You lose your 2nd Amendment rights if you are a medical marijuana user by federal law. Some states have passed laws to amend that, but remains illegal by most law enforcement.

Back
Top Bottom