Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-07-2021, 06:50 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Alli am going to say is that when there is legalization, lots of criminal activity occurs.

And that includes illegal growers, bootleggers and others thieving the products. How about murders that didn't used to happen?

My stepson was a pothead, and he was in a 20 year fog. 10 years later, he still has no personal drive or ambition.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2021, 07:17 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
This intrigues me.

When you buy wine you might ask the clerk at the liquor store what wine would go well with a particular meal.

With weed, can you ask something like, "I'm going to an amusement park and going on the rides. What do you recommend?"

Or, "I'm heading to the Guns N' Roses reunion concert. Any suggestions?"

"I'm going to be reading Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker books and then some Terry Pratchett. What should I get?"

"I've never seen the movie Inception. Have you got any recommendations?"

"I've got a family reunion that I've been loathing to attend. I have to go or my spouse will kill me. What have you got that will mellow me out but still allow me to function?"
This made me chuckle... But it had more to do with do you want to be up/peppy/happy... or mellow/sleepy. Apparently it's an indica vs sativa thing... but I don't remember which is which.

Back in my college days I was going to school full time with 8am classes - and worked till 10pm several nights a week... I used pot 'medicinally' to be able to fall asleep quickly so I could wake up in time for class. The key was to fall asleep before the munchies kicked in. LOL.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:35 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
... She gets a VERY mild buzz, if one at all...
Put on some Pink Floyd...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pink+floyd
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:12 PM   #44

(FWIW, I'm not a user, and never have been. It simply doesn't interest me. Friends have reported that today's pot is a lot stronger than what they were used to back in college.)

Michigan legalized medical in 2008 (and to answer someone's question, medical cardholders are allowed to grow 12 plants) and recreational sales in Dec 2019.

I live near Ann Arbor and it's been interesting to watch the recreational business. Initially there were long lines at stores, and they'd often run out of product.

Being an hour north of the Ohio border (where it's still illegal), there would be lots of Ohioans driving up to make purchases. I heard the Ohio cops liked to patrol the main roads from Michigan, looking to catch Ohio-tagged cars carrying illegal pot.

During covid, I've seen folks lined up outside dispensaries and stores, as they limit the number of customers allowed inside.

Lately, I've read that Ann Arbor has some stores that have unmarked cars carrying pot just driving around town during known busy times. Thus, you can place an order and have it delivered very quickly. Once the order rate slows down, the cars stop driving around aimlessly and return home.

There are now TONS of very 'corporate-looking' billboards along the main freeways advertising pot stores. Kind of an eyesore IMHO.

I've not seen any information on accidents, sales figures, taxes, etc.

The last time I drove to Canada (pot is legal in Ontario, too), there was a sign near the immigration/customs area stating that it was illegal to take pot across the border. Not sure if this is because it's a federal border or what?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:15 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post
How has it been in the state you live in, both from a public perspective and also from your perspective?

Has it been "no big deal" or have there been major problems? Has it been a financial Godsend for the state?...
I have only been in CO for last 5 years, but from my perspective it has been "No big deal". I have no data on the tax revenue, but I'm not convinced that this is/was a game changer as my property taxes keep going up.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:32 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
So far the only problem is the illegal market is as big as ever. Taxes and the difficulty in getting licenses (not in our town) keep the illicit product available.

The cool thing is the legal stuff is so powerful that it's truly "one hit sh*t", also so very cool to just drive up to the "dope store" and browse.

Me thinks it's time for another hit -
This is the joke that is being played on the American public. I totally agree with legalization. However, the implementation has been less about decriminalization and all about tax revenue. The ridiculous thing is that they set the taxes so high that they didn't do anything to discourage the illegal market. Remember prohibition? I thought we learned a lesson. Legalize the substance and the crime associated with it virtually goes away. Somehow that idea got lost in the greed to raise tax revenue. Further, how does the gooberment justify a new revenue stream based on vice? Just crazy. Vice should be managed, not encouraged and certainly not create an incentive of tax revenue.

Anyway, I live in Michigan and both Medical and Recreational are legal. While Robbie thinks the new strains are cool, I respectfully disagree. The legal stuff is so powerful that it's not even fun to smoke. It would be like the only alcohol available is straight up moonshine. What ever happened to the equivalent of beer in the MJ world? Heck, I used to enjoy the act of smoking. How'd you like to have a Cuban cigar and all you can handle is a couple puffs? Try smoking a doobie with your friends. Pass that around one time and everyone is baked. I hope some day they find a way to sell it in more realistic THC levels. The legal shops are awesome. Who would have ever thought we'd be walking into a store and selecting from several types of weed. Clean, safe, legal - pretty cool.

One thing I think that would have been expected is clearly happening - people are driving around smoking. No doubt. Not sure if all have heard of the skunky smell of weed today, but I can't tell you how often I've been stopped at a light and the smell wafts into my truck. Way too often.

I did read the other day that Amazon stopped testing employees for pot unless their job indicated (drivers, forklift drivers . . .). So things are changing.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:46 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I have found the counter folks in the shops have been extremely helpful; I like the pain relief, like less anxiety but don't want the "high". A good, knowledgeable worker will explain the different effect of the Terpenes in each strain.
I have a THC/CBD cream for arthritis that works wonders, and use a gummy for pain/sleep/relaxation. Can't smoke or vape.
You can adjust the THC/CBD dosage and avoid the "one hit s**t" that RobbieB discussed, IF you want too :-)
Old 06-07-2021, 08:47 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
This is the joke that is being played on the American public. I totally agree with legalization. However, the implementation has been less about decriminalization and all about tax revenue.
Same with alcohol and gambling...
Old 06-07-2021, 09:02 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Driving after smoking is illegal. DUI - in this case the 'influence' is pot rather than booze.
This is a real issue, as there's no easy chemical way to determine if you are DUI or just used it sometime in the past few weeks. You can test out at 5 nanograms/ml long after the effect (under the influence) has passed. Roadside physical sobriety tests are much more accurate. And they aren't very, so it's definitely a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Alli am going to say is that when there is legalization, lots of criminal activity occurs.

And that includes illegal growers, bootleggers and others thieving the products. How about murders that didn't used to happen?
I'm confused, are you saying crime increases when pot (or anything) is legalized? If so, I'd request some references. Because that's the exact opposite of everything I've ever read, going back to the 21st Amendment. Legalization doesn't immediately solve all the problems, especially with the states tax strategies encouraging a strong competing black market, but I can guarantee you that violent crime regarding marijuana goes down everywhere legalization occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
This made me chuckle... But it had more to do with do you want to be up/peppy/happy... or mellow/sleepy. Apparently it's an indica vs sativa thing... but I don't remember which is which.
It's easy. The mnemonic for Indica is "In Da Couch".
Old 06-08-2021, 05:05 AM   #50

You lose your 2nd Amendment rights if you are a medical marijuana user by federal law. Some states have passed laws to amend that, but remains illegal by most law enforcement.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:32 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
So it's not really like this?

When I was in college, my then boyfriend and I went out into a wooded area on campus and got high, then went to the movies and saw Reefer Madness. That’s the only way to see the movie.

They made a musical satire of the 1936 movie in 1998.

In the 1980s we were able to give small doses of THC to counteract some of the side effects of cancer chemotherapy.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:57 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
You lose your 2nd Amendment rights if you are a medical marijuana user by federal law. Some states have passed laws to amend that, but remains illegal by most law enforcement.
Not exactly. If you already have firearms, you don't get them revoked, no permits get lost either. It does, however, mean you can't purchase a gun at a federally licensed arms dealer. Private sales are ok but depends on the state if they have additional laws about that.

But you don't outright lose your 2A rights.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:05 AM   #53

Quote:
This is the joke that is being played on the American public. I totally agree with legalization. However, the implementation has been less about decriminalization and all about tax revenue.
But of course hand in hand with good old grift and monopolies. In many cases, you'll find the backers of legalization/medical/etc., aren't grass roots normal people, they are those with something to gain. Just have a google around Nick Lachey and what he tried to do in OH a few years back. And I'm sure many pushing against legalizations are in the liquor and pharma industries or others who stand to lose. It's not just about letting people have a puff or not.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:41 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Couldn't you just check NO on the firearms form question on marijuana? Seems super easy to get around. Also having a MM card does not prove use.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:53 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

My stepson was a pothead, and he was in a 20 year fog. 10 years later, he still has no personal drive or ambition.
I know several very successful business owners with drive and ambition who smoke on occasion. It's no different than having the occasional drink. It's very likely that your stepson would have had no ambition even if he didn't smoke pot.

One of my friends had a side gig doing concert security for decades. He told me that when he saw people passing a joint around during a show he never worried...they were there to listen to music and never caused trouble. The overwhelming majority of problems were caused by drunks who puked everywhere and started fights.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:55 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Couldn't you just check NO on the firearms form question on marijuana? Seems super easy to get around. Also having a MM card does not prove use.
If you check NO on any of the questions, you don’t pass the test and you will not be sold a firearm.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:24 AM   #57

Uhuh, we really need more people driving impaired or distracted....
Old 06-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley;2617379
I'm confused, are you saying crime increases when pot (or anything) is legalized? [B
If so, I'd request some references[/B]. Because that's the exact opposite of everything I've ever read, going back to the 21st Amendment. Legalization doesn't immediately solve all the problems, especially with the states tax strategies encouraging a strong competing black market, but I can guarantee you that violent crime regarding marijuana goes down everywhere legalization occurs.
There's numerous papers detailing all the harmful effects of cannibis. Transport yourself to 1930-1990 and you will find many.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:42 AM   #59

Quote:
If you check NO on any of the questions, you don’t pass the test and you will not be sold a firearm.
Since I don't know the actual question I assumed it was asking if you ever used and I would say NO. Inverse as needed.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #60

I suppose one may presume more people will get buzzed if it's legal, but how many people reduce or eliminate other things? Probably not zero. Statistics from legalized states don't seem to support negative societal consequences, that I've seen.

I do think that if the price of the legal stuff is made too high through taxation, then there's a lot left on the table, because getting rid of the black market and associated negative consequences of that could be make it a bigger win.

As to impairment while driving, there is lots of data showing alcohol is very dangerous. Being sleepy is actually more dangerous (causes many more deaths than booze). I wonder just how dangerous a THC high is. My experience is over 40 years old, but it seemed like THC influence made people go slower, and they seemed more attentive (as opposed to alcohol where it was faster and less attentive). Not that I want a bunch of buzzed drivers out on the road, but a knee-jerk suggestion that all impairments are equal isn't logical.

I do kind of worry about that certain phenotype who might get into a habit that drains traditional "drive", but I've seen others who manage it well, and in fact thrive with it. That example would be an artist friend of a friend who makes a good living, producing her work while under the influence.

It's going to be used whether legal or not. If I were king of the world, I certainly wouldn't try to stop it.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote