Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post

How has it been in the state you live in, both from a public perspective and also from your perspective?

Has it been "no big deal" or have there been major problems? Has it been a financial Godsend for the state? Has the public opinion generally been pleased or have certain groups been complaining about it? Have the accident rates increased? Have other drugs become more of a problem? Have crime rates changed?
Research shows the effect of legalizing consumption of recreational marijuana has multiple effects, some of which are expected, others a surprise.

There is a decline in violent crime in areas where dispensaries are located (paper here)

When used by school age people there is a decline in math and science scores based on standardized testing (article here}

There is an increase in tourism favoring the cities where use is legal. Its not clear how long this increase lasts.

There's a reduction in alcohol related traffic fatalities (paper here)

There's a reduction in alcohol and drug overdoses (blog post here)

The rate of pedestrian deaths and accidents has increased. (can't find the paper).

Non-US citizens who acknowledge lawful consumption can be denied entrance to the US.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thought this was interesting.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/washin...ry?id=78145328

The Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board announced Monday that the promotion, called "Joints for Jabs," was effective immediately and would run through July 12. During the afforded time period, state-licensed cannabis retailers are permitted to give one free pre-rolled joint to customers who are 21 or older when they receive their first or second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine at an active, on-site vaccination clinic. Customers can only claim the complimentary joint from the retail location during the same visit as receiving the jab, according to the board.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Not exactly. If you already have firearms, you don't get them revoked, no permits get lost either. It does, however, mean you can't purchase a gun at a federally licensed arms dealer. Private sales are ok but depends on the state if they have additional laws about that.

But you don't outright lose your 2A rights.
If one has a medical marijuana card, you become a "prohibited person" under federal law. Prohibited persons are not able to purchase or possess a firearm. Period. In 2014, Congress refused the Justice Department the funds to prosecute gun owners that have a medical marijuana card, but it is still the law.

However, a recreational pot user, who is not registered, is not considered a "prohibited person".

However, states like PA, will not turn their medical marijuana list over to the ATF, which places them on the "prohibited persons" list.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:16 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Legal state, tourist area, four local recreational dispensaries in town. Mostly used by folks who are older than my 64 years.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:30 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
If you check NO on any of the questions, you don’t pass the test and you will not be sold a firearm.
Just out of curiosity I looked up the question...

"e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?"

So NO was right.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:52 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post

"e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?"

So NO was right.
Sorry, got it backwards. Haven’t purchased a firearm in a long time.

So, if you answer yes to that question, an FFL will not sell you a firearm.

Interesting though, it doesn’t really specify what unlawful means. It is assumed that it means Federally unlawful, but as a resident of a state that allows MJ, it would be interesting to see that challenged. It seems like it would be reasonable for a person in that state to conclude that they are not doing anything unlawful. Probably would point to “controlled substance” to link unlawful to a Federal definition.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
There's numerous papers detailing all the harmful effects of cannibis. Transport yourself to 1930-1990 and you will find many.
I wasn't talking about potential harmful effects of Cannabis. Of course there are some. Same with carrots. Or anything else. I was saying, contrary to what Bamaman posted, that violent and drug related crime decreases after legalization. It's very well documented.

Anyway, most of the harmful effects of cannabis has always been related more to the drug war than the drug. That's the part that gets relieved by legalization. The (relatively minor) physical effects stay the same, legal or not. Although at least with legalization it's easier to get edibles and tinctures and such that remove the damage caused by smoking.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:43 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

On the subject of federal law and firearm possession, here is an opinion letter sent to FFLs from the ATF back in 2011. Although not technically controlling, it is still the "official" position of the ATF.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/op...poses/download
Old 06-08-2021, 12:51 PM   #69

A ruling from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals from 2016 (Wilson v Lynch).

“Title 18 U.S.C. § 922(d)(3), 27 C.F.R. § 478.11, and the Open Letter bar only the sale of firearms to Wilson–not her possession of firearms.”
Old 06-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I wasn't talking about potential harmful effects of Cannabis. Of course there are some. Same with carrots. Or anything else. I was saying, contrary to what Bamaman posted, that violent and drug related crime decreases after legalization. It's very well documented.

Anyway, most of the harmful effects of cannabis has always been related more to the drug war than the drug. That's the part that gets relieved by legalization. The (relatively minor) physical effects stay the same, legal or not. Although at least with legalization it's easier to get edibles and tinctures and such that remove the damage caused by smoking.
[emoji4]

There's a bunch of old propaganda that is still actively produced. I received something a couple years ago from a well respected KC area hospital with an oped "There's Nothing Medical about Marijuana" spouting almost Refer Madness levels of lies.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:03 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you check NO on any of the questions, you don’t pass the test and you will not be sold a firearm.

Quote:
Sorry, got it backwards. Haven’t purchased a firearm in a long time.

So, if you answer yes to that question, an FFL will not sell you a firearm.
It's been a few months since I filled out ATF Form 4473 (aka the yellow form) so I had to look it up. I think to "pass" you need to answer no to all the yes/no questions in section 11 "except the first one"... That one is "usually" answered yes .

Of course none of this applies unless you are buying a gun from an FFL... But then we are getting into the heart of "The Gun Show Loophole" debate.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:09 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post

So NO was right.
Uh oh - all those caffeine addicts wouldn’t pass.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:47 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Bamaman said that illegal growers, bootleggers and stealing of pot increases after legalization. He left as a question whether or not murders increased.

I don't think there is any question that with the high price of government sanctioned weed (due to taxes) that illegal bootlegging, illegal growers and thievery happens and increases.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:13 PM   #74

Is it really higher priced though? $35 for an eighth seems like a pretty good price compared to paying $25 street rate in the late 80's. I'd say that's an awfully low inflation rate. I have no idea what the street rate is in today's dollars so perhaps it's gotten much cheaper lately?

Of course you can pay more, but that was always the case. And to avoid the "street" element, to get your choice, well worth the modest markt up.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:23 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A ruling from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals from 2016 (Wilson v Lynch).

“Title 18 U.S.C. § 922(d)(3), 27 C.F.R. § 478.11, and the Open Letter bar only the sale of firearms to Wilson–not her possession of firearms.”
It's a 9th Circuit Opinion, so it's not applicable across the entirety of the US.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Nor all those nicotine addicts.
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:29 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Nor all those nicotine addicts.

Let's not leave out the alcoholics.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:35 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Let's not leave out the alcoholics.
An ENT referred to me as an "Afrin addict". No more guns for me.
ETA: I was able to kick a decade long legal opioid habit via a little plant matter. Not only that, I feel better with less pain
Old 06-08-2021, 06:49 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Of course you can pay more, but that was always the case. And to avoid the "street" element, to get your choice, well worth the modest markt up.
And the variety and quality of choices offered today (https://www.leafly.com/) are drastically superior to what was available during those old college days -- or so I've been told.
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:12 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

When I go I always get an "assortment", all top shelf of course. I get some sativas for the daytime and some indicas for the evening. And I take advantage of the "ounce" discount too. Get me 8 little jars of top shelf stuff, store 'em cool and dark and smoke away -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote