What will become of California?

Do the people with caps on their taxes still get to vote for state ballot initiatives that will increase spending (paid for someone else)? I think I see a problem here.

Do the people with caps on their taxes still get to vote for state ballot initiatives that will increase spending (paid for someone else)? I think I see a problem here.

Since EVERY property owner has caps on their taxes then the answer would be yes.

Quote: "I don't understand where you are coming from on this. Who is 'trashing' your State?

I thought the crux of the discussion was about if it is fair for one homeowner to get a break on his property tax compared to his neighbor in a similar home. I'd make the argument that it isn't fair, regardless of the location."

I was speaking to the general theme of the discussion: "What Will Become of California?" Prop. 13 is one issue of many. During the real estate bubble, there were people who paid higher property taxes. However, they purchased at the top. I am too fiscally conservative to buy a home I can't afford. It would be very scary to pay the prices that real estate was commanding pre-2007. Now, people are able to buy at lower prices - thus, lower property taxes. Many others have had their property taxes re-assessed to reflect the lower prices.

Regarding "trashing my state," I did not say anyone is trashing my state. I said that I don't trash other states. Only you know whether you hold negative thoughts toward California or any other state. I can, however, say that I don't trash other states, because I am not there and I would not know what I am talking about.

Prop 13, Fair? Unfair? I could argue either side, but if I remember, it was put in by referendum of the voters. It is what the majority of the people of CA wanted. As someone else said it was partly to try and control the amount of money the government gets. Seems like that portion worked. People do not have to fear of being taxed out of their homes. That part worked. Politicians continued to buy votes and spend money they did not have. That part did not work and not the bill is due. So the obvious solution is to cut the services most people are willing to pay for, i.e. Fire and Police while they hide the things a majority of the folks paying the bill would cut. Have you ever looked at the chairs politicians sit in? Watch next time you see a city counsel meeting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom