Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The author/publisher own the rights, no question. They can choose to let a library lend out their books for free, and they can put on any restrictions they want. For example, they can specify that only a few copies of an ebook can be out at a given time.

The amazons won't go belly up, because if publishers find that the free lending of the libraries cuts into their sales, they will add more restrictions.
+1

I'm also curious if libraries pay a higher rate for physical books than the public? Or maybe just full retail - no discount? Maybe the publishers really boost the price for a special 'library binding/cover' or whatever?

Quote:
The idea of local libraries lending out ebooks is also flawed. I could take out an ebook from a library in London as easily as from the library down the street, so why have separate administration, etc? There are 27 separately administered Overdrive sites in California alone. The local librarians really don't know how that much about it, and over the Christmas holidays, their server crashed and there was no one to fix it.
I don't know this for certain, but I'm pretty sure that there is no separate administration of any server at the local areas. I'm pretty sure the libraries just have an account with Adobe, and Adobe does everything. It's similar to the way you might have a gmail account, or a Facebook page - there is no separate server for you, it's all part of a larger system. I'm betting those 27 Overdrive sites in CA are because those areas have separate budgets and separate accounts, but the servers are all under Adobe (which is why the library couldn't do anything about it).

I know someone who works at a library, I'll try to remember to ask next time we talk.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

We live in a small semi-rural town far off the beaten path, and even our library has e-books to check out. It's not hard -- my wife does it. She logs into their website, looks at the e-books they have available and requests a checkout. The book is then marked no longer available for checkout (or if multiple copies, the available copy count is decremented by 1) and downloads through the computer into her Kindle. She gets to use it for three weeks, at which time it "expires" and removes itself from her device.

As mentioned above, I'm sure this isn't administered by someone on site, but rather contracted out to another service which probably performs this function for hundreds of libraries (or more) nationwide.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I don't know this for certain, but I'm pretty sure that there is no separate administration of any server at the local areas. I'm pretty sure the libraries just have an account with Adobe, and Adobe does everything. It's similar to the way you might have a gmail account, or a Facebook page - there is no separate server for you, it's all part of a larger system. I'm betting those 27 Overdrive sites in CA are because those areas have separate budgets and separate accounts, but the servers are all under Adobe (which is why the library couldn't do anything about it).
This sounds right. From Overdrive's homepage:
OverDrive currently hosts more than 650,000 premium digital titles from more than 1,000 publishers, including Random House, HarperCollins, BBC Audiobooks America, Harlequin, and Bloomsbury. Our digital distribution services are utilized by more than 15,000 libraries, schools, and colleges worldwide. For two consecutive years, OverDrive has been named to the EContent 100 as a company that matters most in the digital content industry
They probably host the content centrally or on a geographically distributed set of servers like Google and use a database to keep track of licenses, users rights, etc. Libraries or library consortiums buy licenses and approve users, and Overdrive administers distribution.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I live in a city of ~ 30K and we have a small, but full service library. Our library is far more than just a place to borrow books, dvds, ebooks, magazines. It is kind of a community center where one can get access to PCs, meeting rooms, online research assistance, tax preparation, notary public, entertainment/special events for kids/teens/adult, purchase your TX toll tag, and even a free cup of Star-Bucks coffee. It is also a very comfortable environment to come in out of the cold or heat and sit down and read a newspaper or magazine or do your HS/College/personal research. The library gets very heavy use, has one of the highest transaction rates in the state and is rated one of the best services that our city provides. While I suspect continued expansion of e/virtual services, there would be a major uproar if they tried to take it away.
That sounds like our library here and I love it! Agree, there would be an uproar!
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

We have overdrive, lots of books on CD and tape as well as audiodrive and a new service

Freegal, you can download up to three mp3's per week per person, and they have the sony library. Lots of Beatles, in fact almost any artist you can think of.

Way cool.

I could see bricks and mortar libraries close or consolidate, or at least make their hours shorter. Our library is always full of patrons though and I always have a dozen books on my waiting list.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I had The Litigators eBook on hold for months, and it finally became available just before Christmas. But the library system went down, and because they were on furlough, nobody was there to fix it. So my checkout window expired, and now I'm at the back of the line of 116 patrons again.

An example of how the restrictions, although necessary, are a pain in the butt, and detract from what could be a modern technological paradise.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #47

I love libraries, but also am enamored of the ability to sit on my @$$ at home and check out an e-book - woohooo! BUT, there are some books I do not want electronically and want available at my house. They are mainly reference type books (knitting patterns, language books books from museums and other places I've visited, etc). I usually buy those but many times want to see them beforehand - also, there are older books that aren't available electronically that interest me - plus, being human, I do like to have something material in my hand. An old book (or new one) has a distinct feel, smell, and visual sense. When you were a child, there were books that you had which had certain types of artwork and/or were a certain size that you remembered (as well as the story). It just doesn't have the same experiential value to me as the Kindle - even though I am really enjoying my Kindle.

I do see the inevitability of the library going away or changing and wish that wasn't true - it's such a wonderful place wherever you go - they are buildings which reflect the community they are in - socially, service-wise, and architecturally. I've been to so many around the world and find them amazing places.

Hopefully, there will be a happy medium - a place to meet and get things in the physical realm as well as a place which provides services in the virtual realm. To me, libraries are some of the best things our tax dollars provide.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
My local library has just started e-books, but signing up is so complicated that a reference librarian has to walk each customer through it in person. Which means I have to go back at a time more convenient to reference librarians. Eventually this will catch on, but I don't think it will ever replace walking through the stacks and checking out a book that catches your eye.
I just spent .99 for a good tutorial 'Library Books for Nook Simplified: How to get free e-books from the Public Library.' It walked you through the steps and explained how to use the free software Adobe Editions that is needed.

The 'book' was only a few pages but for .99 it saved me a lot of searching for the best resource to use.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I had The Litigators eBook on hold for months, and it finally became available just before Christmas. But the library system went down, and because they were on furlough, nobody was there to fix it. So my checkout window expired, and now I'm at the back of the line of 116 patrons again.

An example of how the restrictions, although necessary, are a pain in the butt, and detract from what could be a modern technological paradise.
Or you could buy it for $13 plus shipping on Amazon.

So it is a little inconvenient. Very small price to pay for the privelidge of not having to wake at 6 am to an alarm clock.

PS the book wasn't really that good anyway, not one of Grisham's best IMHO
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #50
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52andout View Post

PS the book wasn't really that good anyway, not one of Grisham's best IMHO
I have to agree now "The Confession " that was one of his best IMO !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have to agree now "The Confession " that was one of his best IMO !
Darn. I just started reading it.! (The Litagators) It is taking me a while to get into it.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote