What will the President say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I especially like that they preempted the most important part of the show - the final 15 minutes. And then we had to wait almost another whole hour for the President's address. Gee, I guess Trump's show isn't as `fantastic' as he keeps telling everyone it is!

If Trump hadn't wasted all of our time with his birther nonsense, Obama would have let the last 15 minutes air, and we all would have found out which one of the women's team got fired.

You can read some posts about this episode and who got fired here: 11-9: "Shear Madness" 2011.05.01 - TWoP Forums

(hint--Bin Laden got fired :) )

To all the servicemen and woman, along with all of the folks in the intelligence community who's work remains largely hidden.

THANK YOU

I especially like that they preempted the most important part of the show - the final 15 minutes. And then we had to wait almost another whole hour for the President's address. Gee, I guess Trump's show isn't as `fantastic' as he keeps telling everyone it is!

If Trump hadn't wasted all of our time with his birther nonsense, Obama would have let the last 15 minutes air, and we all would have found out which one of the women's team got fired.

7192.jpg

Finally Justice! Plus a message, if they do terrorism against us... we will hunt them down and kill them no matter where they are or how long it takes!

One thing it shows is how the leader of Pakistan is not in control... not quite as bad a Afghanistan... But still... 40 miles outside of the capital??

It appears that even some of the Middle Eastern dictators (friendly and unfriendly to the US) are relieved to see Osama gone... he was a loose cannon... uncontrollable/unsanctioned pariah that brought too much attention and bad press on them!

Bin Laden... the man that made terrorism politically incorrect for Middle Eastern dictators (shadow support)!

As news goes, it's "nice to have", but I don't think it changes the game much.

On the other hand, the West's politicians and defence/security industry are too committed to the War On Terrorism to allow this to reduce tension much.

I don't think that the "martyrdom" of Osama ought to cause a major upswing in terrorism. That would require there to be lots of people who were thinking about attacking the US or another western country, but currently not doing so because Osama was alive. I don't think there's that many people in that situation. (For that matter, I don't think there's that many terrorists. I remember when we were told that there were 10,000 AQ operatives who'd been trained in the camps. If I'd trained 10,000 potential terrorists ten years ago, I'd be expecting a lot more bombs to be going off.)

And I don't think it's much justice for the 9/11 victims either. Osama was the symbolic figurehead, but I never saw much evidence that he was personally involved in planning the attacks. I'm pretty sure that AQ doesn't really have a "CEO and VPs" type of structure.

So, while I wish all my American friends well and hope they celebrate with a beer, I don't think that this will change many of our lives very much. The terrorism problem will continue to be over-stated but hard to actually eliminate.

It would be nice to have this thread focus on the demise of a despicable cockroach rather than taking political pot-shots. But I suppose that's too much to ask.

Mods, clean up on aisle three!

As happy as I am to hear the news of his death, the location and circumstances don't do anything to bolster my confidence in our "allies" in Pakistan.

On September 11, 2001, I watched in horror from my office windows as smoke rose from the Pentagon. Today, I'm thinking of those who died on that day and the brave people who tried to save them.

I saved this, which appeared in the Washington Post shortly after the disaster, because I was so touched by the NY Firefighters who were going up as the towers came down. :'(

Attachments

• NY fireman.jpg
    NY fireman.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 3
I think the alien abduction conspiracy is much more plausible... :)
I was involved in the cleanup right after on the graveyard shift. You should have seen what I've seen at the Ground Zero. With smell of burning flesh and sprinkler systems to keep the smoldering steels at bay.... I didn't witness such horror even in one combat tour in late 79.

I'm not sure what's correct or incorrect information are being feed by the media anymore. I don't read or watch anymore news cause it's somewhat distorted. I sure do missed Uncle Walter and evening news where it should be. :( I just want our boys and girls to come back home safely since we went to war to capture Osama and now allegedly being killed.

Gee, I thought a thread discussing the `demise of a despicable cockroach' would be the perfect place to point out...
Perhaps on another board, but not this one.

From our Community Rules:
...discussion of subjects such as politics (unless directly related to early retirement), gun rights and abortion rarely end well. For this reason the moderation team may delete discussions of these topics as well as any other topic deemed to be inappropriate.

The body--NBC didn't cover this angle. Treatment of human remains is very important in traditional Islam, which would have required bin Ladin's body to have been buried by now. We'll want to do this right to avoid further trouble. But how to do it without creating a shrine/focus of the Movement. Maybe return his remains to Saudi Arabia and allow the government and the family to handle this hot potato.

Looks like a neat answer was found:

Mr. Bin Laden's body was buried at sea, in order to be in accordance with Islamic tradition that burial take place within 24 hours, according to a person familiar with the situation. The Saudis declined a U.S. offer to take the body, this person said.

We have now removed 5 posts from this thread that are partisan politics.

Sorry folks, but I'm closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom