What will the the future of www.early-retirement.org ?

I think this market might help me retire earlier. By my calculations I might have 3X as many shares go up than I had which went down. This assumes the market stays this low for about 12-18 more months and wife and I stay employed thru the whole thing.

I would not let short term events impact long term plans.

I did exactly that.....bottom.
coolsmiley.gif

Lets see, so more people will not RE and work longer. Well I spent more time on this site while I was *working* so this site should do even better. Its one year yesterday (Mar 02, 08) that I retired. Seems like yesterday.
This would be a nice time to be working to be adding to my retirement funds at lower prices but there is no way to buy the time
And people can focus on FI (financial independence) part of FIRE which IMHO is the more important part.

Lets see, so more people will not RE and work longer. Well I spent more time on this site while I was *working* so this site should do even better. Its one year yesterday (Mar 02, 08) that I retired. Seems like yesterday.
This would be a nice time to be working to be adding to my retirement funds at lower prices but there is no way to buy the time
And people can focus on FI (financial independence) part of FIRE which IMHO is the more important part.
Happy Anniversary!
:whistle: woooohooooooooooooooooooo

I don't know what's wrong with me but I don't see any butts. Just nuts. No butts.

Great thread Dex. I've wondered the same thing myself the past few months. I agree with bbbami in that we need this outlet now more than even. As long as there are lousy bosses, insane work pressures, disfuctional co-workers, and high stress commutes people will have dreams for a better life outside of work. In fact, if I were a young woman today, I would look around and think the traditional "path to success" of working for a big corporation or the government sure doesn't ensure a happy life anymore. I would have focused much earlier on financial independence so I wouldn't be at the mercy of my employer. I hope young people will take more responsibility their financial security knowing that pensions, social security, and all the traditional ways to support yourself after work are not a sure bet any more.

I think if you have a reliable COLAed pension your early retirement should be more comfortable today than at any time in the recent past. There are great deals on travel, cars, dining, home improvements, electronics, etc.

For the rest of us, the definition of "early" may be undergoing some revision. 50 or 55 may now be 55 or even 60+. We may need to delay SS to get the higher benefit. Not only are our assets depleted, but we face new uncertainties about future performance and recovery prospects.

I think if you have a reliable COLAed pension your early retirement should be more comfortable today than at any time in the recent past. There are great deals on travel, cars, dining, home improvements, electronics, etc.

And if I were single, you'd better believe that's who I'd be wooing these days.

After reading the posts tonight a question hit me?
What will be the future of www.early-retirement.org?
I'm guessing the fortunes of early-retirement rose (and dipped in the past) with the fortunes of the stock market. It is becoming clear that this market downturn will be lasting for several years - although the recession may end by the end of this year - i.e. stock market Vs GDP
I'm guessing people found this site after wondering if they could or how to ER.
- Now and possibly for quite some time the idea might never enter their mind.
I have been a member of this forum longer than any other forum. The other forums I read are specialized to other interests. I like this one because ER is not an interest and it brings different personalities into the mix.
The excitement and questions of new members, some of the excitement of their transition and new experiences seem to be on the wane.
Will early-retirement be like Detroit, people keep leaving and no new inhabitants take their place? I can see that happening, we don't like to be reminded of what we have lost.
We have been talking a lot about the future of the stock market; what is the future of early-retirement.org
From 06-18-2008, 12:44 PM:
Dex saying Thanks & Goodbye
It is time to say goodbye and thank you.
IMHO, something has changed on this board. The negative aspects are outweighing the positive ones. I believe it is imperative to maintain a positive attitude before and during your retirement.
If in any recent post of mine appeared negative; I apologize,
I greatly appreciate those who offered their considered advise when I was wrestling with my decision retire early. It was great to know that others have had the same questions and fears. And yes, it was even interesting to read what the legendary John Gault had to say.
To those of you that are in that pre early retirement mindset; find your motivation. Most of the clichés you have heard are true – “Life is too short.”, “No one regretted working more on their death bed.” When you turn the phrase “I will believe it when I see it” on its head to “I will see it when I believe it” you will be on your way to finding your path to early retirement. Once you have been retired for awhile the fears you have now will seem a distant memory.
Are you contemplating an encore?

I'm pretty confident that as long as there are sucky jobs and pointy-haired bosses, there will be those who strive for financial independence & ER. FIRE doesn't have to come from the stock market-- it can also come from frugal savings, entrepreneurs, real estate, company stock options, inheritances, trust funds... plenty of paths.

As for the future of E-R.org, I think it's much more likely to end through mismanagement (not mis-moderation) than through membership attrition. When ad revenue plummets, the seemingly appealing solution would be to pump up the eyeball volume. How ironic that a forum devoted to FIRE is not actually FI.

Greaney managed to let a troll zombify his forum, and the relentless pursuit of revenue killed TMF's REHP forum. ElSupremo... I'm not sure whether it was the troll that got to him or all the drama. Meanwhile Raddr accepts neither contributions nor advertising (he certainly doesn't tolerate trolls or spammers) and he seems to be chugging along just fine.

But despite its risk of implosion, E-R.org is even more likely to muddle through in some form in spite of the thundering herds of newbies and spammers...

Last edited:
But despite its risk of implosion, E-R.org is even more likely to muddle through in some form in spite of the thundering herds of newbies and spammers...

And muddle through in grand, and yet sometimes even brilliant style, we shall! :D :greetings10:

As a group, we are the forum.

Last edited:

Don't worry, old chap; with CFB out of the way your status as most prolific poster appears safe for quite some time!

I would like to see a graph of daily posting rates.

Hard to be sure, but it seems much less active. I find it hard to use up much time on here anymore!

I am struck by how much we lose when even one careful and intelligent poster takes off.

Ha

I was worrying that, eventually, everyone would leave and not tell me.

Dex, I'm not planning to leave anytime soon and hope you don't either:flowers:

The original and still the best. Thanks for posting.

Back
Top Bottom