Go with rebagg, a guaranteed bird in the hand. 35 87.50%
Sell yourself, what are you crazy, that's an extra 500 bucks 5 12.50%
other. always have to be an other 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

What would you do?? selling Luxury bag on line
Old 06-25-2016, 07:18 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What would you do?? selling Luxury bag on line

Taking a vote, nothing like being decisive.

A few years ago I was given a Louie Vuitton bag for a gift. Gorgeous bag but not my style and it sits in my closet most of the time.
I finally decided to sell it after seeing a commercial about a website call rebagg.com

The bag is a Louie
Vuitton melrose avenue monogram Vernis satchel Here's are my choices.

1) rebagg.com offered me $1200.00 bucks for the bag. from looking on the web that's a bit low (I've seen prices anywhere from 1500-2000) but they purchase it. don't have to worry about bids, sellers etc.

2) sell it on one of the auction sites. like Tradesy or ebay. the downside to this is I have to wait for someone to actually purchase it. the second downside is that I procrastinate with things like this. Every time I go to clean my basement I never get it done because I always go to throw stuff out and then say "oh I'll sell it or Oh, I'll have a yard sale". My kid is 25 and i'm still claiming I'm going to sell his wooden hobby horse rocking chair.

would you take the 1200 and be done with it or put it on sale yourself.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Take the money!
Your longer response on #2 says it all. You don't really want to mess with it and you'll risk procrastinating and you won't get anything for it. Sell it and move on $1200 richer =D
steady saver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Take the rebagg.com offer . Selling high end bags on ebay opens you up to all types of scammers especially if you are not a regular seller with a lot of feedback.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Take the rebagg offer.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Option one, and thank you for the link because I likewise have a LV bag I was gifted and never use!
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:27 AM   #6

Rebagg, definitely, no risk of any hassles or paypal chargeback or returns, etc. One and done.

Damn, too bad they don't take Coach bags...
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:44 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Take the rebagg offer. It's $1200 in found money. I'm just flabbergasted that anyone would spend $1200 on a bag in the first place, not to mention the original price!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Sell, before the music stops...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I would definitely do 1!
Old 06-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Remember that you have to pay Ebay some fee.... maybe someone will chime in on what that would be...

AND, you might not get a bid that you like...

To me, cash in hand is worth something... and they do not seem to be that far off, maybe $200 to $300, now, if you REALLY think you can get $2000 for it then my answer would be different...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

You can always look at ebay and see what your purse has sold for. In order to sell it on eBay you need proof of it's authenticity .EBay Fees are around 10 percent plus if you do not have a lot of feedback expect low bids .
Old 06-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Sell, before the music stops...
Thanks for posting this . Somehow it makes me feel richer for never having seen the "value" in that market.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #13
gone traveling

I assume you have verified its not a knockoff. Handbags are very vulnerable to that scam. Anyway, I vote for #1.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #14

Given your tendency to procrastinate, it's not really are you losing out on $300 -- it's would you ever do it otherwise? And by the time you did, would it still be worth $1200?
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife has used Yoogie's Closet and received very good offers from them. In fact they were much better than other sites she tried. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
diehard1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #16

It seems like rebag is paying very good money so I would probably take that. I would check Ebay closed/sold auctions to see what they actually sell for but I would probably take the money. I figure Ebay costs of sale at 20% plus risk of scammers.

Semi-related, we had an interesting situation recently. 10 years ago a wealthy aunt got my wife a louis purse. It was all packaged up pretty in louis wrapping, louis bag, etc.... Tried to sell recently on Ebay and I was alerted by someone who saw the auction that it was a fake. A good fake but a fake. I got a second opinion at a second hand store and they agreed. They showed me the indications. It was quite a surprise. Didn't darn tell aunty since she is about 100 she'd have a heart attack to know someone ripped her off. Ended the ebay auction which was hard since it was at $500 already but didn't want to sell a fake.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #17

Calkid, that's my personal concern with ebay.

FWIW: I collect coins. Ebay prices are great (fair but great) yet if I can spot fakes at coin shows and pass them up, why would I risk where I cannot see them?
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #18

I would hang onto it. The value can only go up. I still have a bunch of beanie babies that I am going to use to fund my retirement with.

On a more serious thought, SELL SELL SELL...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

I just checked ebay and the only two Louis Vuitton Melrose Avenue vernis satchel that sold sold in the nine hundreds . There are a lot listed and only two sold and no where near asking price . Take the $1200 .
Old 06-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #20

I googled out of curiosity and it is a very attractive satchel. But unless you go to upscale events often or are into fine dining, there would not be many opportunities to use it.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote