Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: what would you do with 80 grave sites?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

leonidas, thing about some jewish law is how it is open to interpretation, to debate and to change. while you might not find an orthodox rabbi to officiate at a cremation, you can get a reformed rabbi to preside at one.

you are correct on collecting body parts, especially in israel and after bombings. the body is considered holy and so is treated with as much respect after as during life. it is so holy that many jews do not look directly at the dead for if you were to look directly into the light of god how could it not blind you. and so jews don't hold viewings of their dead like others might.

from my point of view, if putting bodies to fire was so unrespectful then how to justify all that past sacrificing of goats & such. wasn't fire the conveyor to god? and wouldn't the ultimate expression of a burning being not being unholy be the burning bush itself. so i think cremation could be argued either way.

brewer, so sorry, but i was totally kidding about development and ran with cutefb's poltergeist theme. the gravesites are center stage of an existing cemetery, zoned only for more graves.

wab, i was pretty much already set on charity before i started the thread. just thought we could all have some fun with graves. good idea though on checking with irs to see how to price it. sometimes you don't inherit benefit. you inherit bother as in i'd rather not be bothered but better to handle it now than to pass this mess down to future generations.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2007, 05:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
lfrom my point of view, if putting bodies to fire was so unrespectful then how to justify all that past sacrificing of goats & such. wasn't fire the conveyor to god? and wouldn't the ultimate expression of a burning being not being unholy be the burning bush itself. so i think cremation could be argued either way.
Well, like I said, I'm not Jewish and was just passing on what I had read after I saw a news story on the body part collection teams in Israel. But your reply spurred me to go off and do some more research (okay, I Googled it), and learned some interesting things. There's Orthodox and Reformed, and then there are a lot of people who just don't follow tradition. Thus, you get cremation being performed even with a Rabbi there to officiate. I found an interesting lesson online by a Rabbi who talks about how a lot of jews' funerals are contrary to tradition and belief. He talks about a lot of details (like metal coffins) but in the end he said even if you do these things we will still officiate. We would just prefer to think that you would walk the path more traveled than choose your own. Sounds like from at least one man's view, Judiasm is a big tent with a lot of room underneath it for variances in action. He did mention, mostly in passing, something like "besides, there's too much history of people wanting to cremate us".

Whatever the drive or motivation behind it, there does seem to be a need for grave sites for Jewish people who can't afford one. The charitable organization you mentioned seems to be serving that need. Sounds like an easy way to get rid of something that may be hard to sell and get a nice tax break at the same time.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:39 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

You may want to get in the middle of the Anna Nicole Smith debacle. Could be an opporunity for "temporary storage." And would not be surprised if more bodies drop.

I'm in a mood this morning
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:54 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think they should send half of her to texas and half to the bahamas. Nice compromise.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Anna Nicole Smith and James Brown.

78 left!
Old 02-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #26

i can't believe you resurrected my grave thread.

as much as people have tried to explain it to me, i still have no idea why this ans person is nonstop on my television set. whoever she thought she was, she sure as hell ain't getting into our family graves, well, not unless her family wants to buy the set. but james brown? i'd be cool with that.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
it seems brother & i have inherited more than 80 empty graves. i only need one as i do want to be buried near mom, unless i decide to set myself adrift and set the boat on fire. decision pending.

with each generation moving farther from the area it seems unlikely that brother's kids would ever use them. certainly not 80 of them. that's a lot of expense to keep flying those bodies up there.

so what are we supposed to do with this? all creative ideas encouraged.
Looking for an update on one of my all time favorite posts. Any grave sites left or have you been a victim of the overall decline in the real estate market?
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Wow, people keep digging this thread up!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:30 PM   #29

People are dying to know more.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote