Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2021, 10:25 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I'm not sure why y'all are going to all that trouble. You don't need to download videos to watch on your TV. Just install the YouTube app on your TV streaming box.
There are numerous benefits to downloading. For one, I can watch videos from multiple sources (over-the-air broadcast TV recordings, youtube downloads, home videos, etc.) in one location. I don't have to switch to different apps to watch different shows.

I can also save only the videos I'm interested in watching later without having to navigate through the various channels and trying to find the video I wanted to see.

If I find a great how-to video, I can be assured it will be available when I need it, even if YouTube or other sources take it offline (or if the internet is down).

I can also rename videos so they make sense to me, rather than some click-bait title from the original video.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2021, 09:50 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
There are numerous benefits to downloading. For one, I can watch videos from multiple sources (over-the-air broadcast TV recordings, youtube downloads, home videos, etc.) in one location. I don't have to switch to different apps to watch different shows.

I can also save only the videos I'm interested in watching later without having to navigate through the various channels and trying to find the video I wanted to see.

If I find a great how-to video, I can be assured it will be available when I need it, even if YouTube or other sources take it offline (or if the internet is down).

I can also rename videos so they make sense to me, rather than some click-bait title from the original video.
Suit yourself. To me, that all sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Switching apps takes 1-2 seconds. YouTube has a "Save to Watch Later" function.

I messed around with media players 10-15 years ago. I was big into WMC and Kodi, all running on a dedicated HTPC connected to the TV with massive storage capacity. I had several hundred movies, complete TV shows, music, photos, home videos, the works. It was all rather pointless. We rarely watched any of it. It was old content. In reality, it was just kind of a hobby to collect it all and make it work.

Then, with the advent of streaming boxes and streaming services, all that became completely obsolete IMHO. Everything we want is at our fingertips on Fire TV, including photos from our phones almost instantly. It's all incredibly simple to use and navigate, especially YouTube. We discover new and interesting content every day. The hardware is dirt cheap and upgraded continually.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:18 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A short list of favorites:

Veritasium - likeable physics guy explains phenomena is lay terms
Vsauce - quirky guy, kind of math and physics oriented but interesting too
Fermilab - mostly about particles and cosmology and such
PBS Space Time - fundamental new and recent science, astronomy and cosmology
SmarterEveryDay - scientific explanations of interesting phenomena, etc.

Topi the Corgi - a cute Corgi does funny things, often in costume
Laurel and Hardy
Mr. Bean

My favorite - How to make a killing in stocks with no risk
Caveat - I cannot find this youtube channel but I am sure it exists
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
Suit yourself. To me, that all sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Switching apps takes 1-2 seconds. YouTube has a "Save to Watch Later" function.

I messed around with media players 10-15 years ago. I was big into WMC and Kodi, all running on a dedicated HTPC connected to the TV with massive storage capacity. I had several hundred movies, complete TV shows, music, photos, home videos, the works. It was all rather pointless. We rarely watched any of it. It was old content.
It obviously isn't for everyone and if your system works for you great.

For me it's about consolidating numerous video sources into one location that I can access easily. As I mentioned, I record TV shows over-the-air with a TV tuner card. I download videos from YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, individual web sites, etc. I create my own home videos (that I actually watch regularly, and post some to YouTube myself). And I have video's I've ripped from DVD's, BluRays, and even digitized some old VHS tapes. The vast majority of my video library is new content I haven't seen before.

I use a network media player (currently a Zidoo Z9X) that lets me watch my content directly. There's no HTPC to maintain, no media player software to install, etc.

All of my video content is saved on my computer hard drive where I can back it up regularly.

I can watch any of my content on our living room TV, on my computer, or even from my mobile devices.

For me the benefits far outweigh any negatives. I do have a Netflix account, but I have so much to watch in my own video library that I rarely have time to visit Netflix. I also have a Roku but can't remember the last time I even turned it on.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:29 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Too numerous to mention. Not only is having access to the internet like having a library at your fingertips, but having You Tube is like having all libraries available to you. There is no end to what one can learn on You Tube. People share their life's work, their hobbies, their passions, all their knowledge and insights. There are videos on how to do this or that and anything you can think of. As a person who loves to learn and who is extremely curious, it's right up my alley.
Blue531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:31 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post

SmarterEveryDay - scientific explanations of interesting phenomena, etc.
This one sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
My favorite - How to make a killing in stocks with no risk
Caveat - I cannot find this youtube channel but I am sure it exists
Old 03-23-2021, 12:33 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue531 View Post
Too numerous to mention. Not only is having access to the internet like having a library at your fingertips, but having You Tube is like having all libraries available to you. There is no end to what one can learn on You Tube. People share their life's work, their hobbies, their passions, all their knowledge and insights. There are videos on how to do this or that and anything you can think of. As a person who loves to learn and who is extremely curious, it's right up my alley.
All true. It makes me nervous that it will soon not be free even at the basic level.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:32 PM   #68
Confused about dryer sheets

Home Renovision - home maintenance and repair
ExcelIsFun - excel tutorials
RJ The Bike Guy - bicycle maintenance and repair
Techgumbo - technology
Project Farm - tool comparison testing and ratings
South Main Auto Repair - auto repair and diagnosis
Holy Schmidt! - retirement and finance
Strictly Dumpling - asian food blogger
Kevin Stratvert - technology
Nanaba's Kitchen - cooking
Spice N Pans - cooking
Word of Advice TV - HVAC repair and maintenance
Poweruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Two Youtube subscriptions we watch
Old 03-23-2021, 05:49 PM   #69
Dryer sheet aficionado

Two Youtube subscriptions we watch

Chinese Cooking Demystified
Like it says. An American ex-pat and his Chinese wife show you how people cook dinner in China. Sometimes they rely on ingredients in his home in Shenzhen, sometimes it's food you can get from any US supermarket.

Steve1989MREInfo
It's hard to explain why watching a guy prepare and eat MREs can be fascinating. A lot of it is his reactions to decades old military rations, whether it's tinned meat that's probably not even safe to stick your nose in, or century old biscuits that are surprisingly edible. Contemporary MREs from around the world are also interesting.
Agapostemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:01 PM   #70

During the early days of the lockdown last year, I subscribed to a good number of cooking channels. Here are the few:

Guga Foods
Sous Vide Everything
The Hungry Hussey
The Waltwins
Pitmaster X
The Gallery Backyard bbq
Cowboy Kent Rollins
Salty Tales
Ballistic BBQ
Ballistic Burgers
Todd Toven
Blackstone

And a few RV related channels as well.

They’re all pretty entertaining and the DW and I watch one or two every morning after walking the dogs and jogging/running while drinking our protein shakes.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:02 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I started watching a home distilling channel. Fascinating.

“That sounds like fun”

Then I realized it’s totally illegal here in the US. Oh well.

Hah! I had an interesting conversation with my BIL's wife a few years back. She is from N Carolina, and mentioned that her Uncle makes moonshine. I said, "Cool, but it's totally illegal, even to own the equipment". She insisted it was legal if you didn't sell it, or didn't make over 200 gallons/year (that's the beer/wine limit per household/adult). I said, no, if you try to sell it you are in even bigger trouble, but totally illegal to distill spirits, period.

The minute we got home and on WiFi (before mobile data was common), I see her google it, and she never said a word after that!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:05 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I mostly watch stuff that is related to DIY or generally to learn more about some topic whether that is travel, history, technology, animals, etc. Many of which have already been mentioned.
A couple of channels not mentioned that are kind of genius in how they use their youtube channel to get paid twice for the same job:

1) Perkins Builder Brothers - they are a custom home builder in the mountains of NC. So nice locations for most of their builds. They setup up their iPhone and often wear a GoPro and then at the end of the day (or week) the older brother edits and posts a new day of building the house to youtube. If you follow along you see how it progresses day-by-day. So they get paid by the home owner and youtube for the same job.

1b) RayJay Builder Buddies - Even more clever(?) is that two of the guys on the Perkins Bro crew started their own channel, giving a little different perspective and including their honey-do projects. Not a channel to watch on its own, I am just surprised to see a channel within a channel.

2) Scotty Kilmer - He is a semi-retired auto mechanic, who fixes peoples cars in his driveway and uses the project as a spring board to make a video and make more general comments. The episode titles are bit misnamed...even he admits they are a bit like clickbait, but he has a good sense of humor and can be entertaining as well as informative. If you can find the right episode that is related to your vehicle it can be worthwhile.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:16 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
My Science, Tech List

Tech Ingredients
Cody'sLab
EEVblog
AvE
NightHawkInLight
Technology Connections
TheBackyardScientist
Build Something Cool
Applied Science
Fran Blanche
Eric Goodchild

A young lady having an adventure living in a Van.
Alexandria Tejas

Talented Musician, more enjoyable videos before Covid shutdown.
DØVYDAS

Poker- Texas Hold’em
PokerStars
I watch a lot of those:

Tech Ingredients - Very interesting, but I still haven't figured this guy out. I get the sense he is a brilliant, mostly self-taught engineer/scientist. Not sure why, just a vibe I get that he may not be degreed and credentialed, I've never seen a bio from him.

EEVblog - He's great, but I cannot take that high pitched, excited tone in his Aussie accented voice!

AvE - I don't do much machining, but I still find his videos interesting, and a great dry sense of humor.

Technology Connections - I love the in depth views into little quirky aspects of technology. He's also raised his production standards and throws in some pretty wry humor as well.

Fran Blanche - Hello. It's Fran, (in the lab!). Very quirky mix of musical electronic stuff (she had a company building effects pedals for guitar) and a whole range of electronic tech (display technology, space-race era stuff, etc).

I'll have to check out some of your others.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:28 PM   #74
Dryer sheet wannabe

Also watch Mr Bald and his buddy Harold Balder.
jjbychko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:36 PM   #75
Dryer sheet wannabe

Bald and Bankrupt
Harold Balder
Shiey
Nomad Capitalist
Sailing Doodles
Tweekerville
Villages Newcomers
Notime2bsad
jjbychko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:10 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Rick Beato music channel.
shafer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:33 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Boss of the Swamp.
A couple that live off grid and is an interesting outdoor, building, gardening and nature channel. A new episode every week.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:45 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Personal Finance:
Our Rich Journey
Graham Stephen
Meet Kevin
STR University

Tesla:
Tesla Daily
Bearded Tesla Guy
Ryan Shaw Tech

Other:
PMI
Team Richey (HSTL Made)
Josh Bridges
Chome Unboxed
Young the Giant
Tom Bilyeu
Video Advice
Team Fearless
Saturday Night Live
The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
The Lawn Care Nut
Plant Based News
Hot for Food
Nimai Delgado
Win $100 if you click here
(did you try, haha)
etc...
FIREarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:51 AM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnd01 View Post
Main ones I watch are:

- NDYakAngler
- Sam the Cooking Guy
- Ghost Town Living
- Simple Living Alaska
- Outkick
- Dr Sam Baily
- SUV RVing
- Slim Potatohead
- Experior Golf
Just started watching Ghost Town Living - it's great! Thank you for the recommendation!
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:24 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
Just started watching Ghost Town Living - it's great! Thank you for the recommendation!
Thank you for your channel favorites. I will start watching a couple you recommended. I took a quick peek and liked them.

Ghost Town Living
Simple Living Alaska
street is offline   Reply With Quote